I'm officially a nutjob!

DontWorryBeHappy

People are only limited by their conditions when they choose to let it define them. There are people who are bipolar who have fairly normal lives because they learn to live with and around their imbalances. There are also people who are bipolar, own a dozen cats, drive everyone else around them crazy, obsess over the smallest thing, and spend several years going into and out of the hospital getting everything from electroshock therapy to heavy sedation. One should not be so willing to proclaim that they are chemically imbalanced or else they may define themselves as such, or use it as an excuse for behavior they would have normally not done.

You're not alone....enjoy the company of many.

Had a brain scan ages ago, and was told I had an abnormal brainwave.

...heh...must explain my screenies....

Anyway, I have a personal motto....see my sig.

The only legitimate definition I've heard for "insanity" is to repeat an action that resulted in a negative outcome more than twice with a continued expectation of a different outcome.

Bipolar Disorder (along with depression, schizophrenia, etc.) is not insanity, though it can produce behaviors that are incongruous with existing circumstances, leading other people to view it as insanity.

The new terminology for these things is "Behavior Disorder," not 'insanity' nor 'mental illness.' Many of these disorders are easily corrected; some with just diet, exercise, and counseling, some with an additional regimen of medications (which may not necessarily be a lifelong regimen, depending on the person).

I should know.

Six years ago, I had two doctors (mis)diagnose me as Paranoid Schizophrenic.

Last three doctors who've interviewed me have given me a clean bill of health, and this after being without meds for nearly three years.

Only med I currently take is Zyban (an anti-anxiety drug) which is helping me quit smoking without turning into a snarly male without a father.

In 30 days I'll stop taking that.

You may not have a chronic condition... but then again, you might.

I'm not an M.D., so I can't diagnose.

Archived