Delete Account

Guest symptomy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noticed that the accounts requested to be deleted are banned instead. Which makes sense on the technical point of view. But on an interesting note, you'll probably have to find some other system in the not-so-distant future, considering the law proposal that is being discussed in the European Community at the moment and which is deemed likely to be passed (http://www.statewatch.org/news/2010/oct/eu-com-draft-communication-data-protection.pdf). It'll make it a legal right to have accounts and information deleted (instead of banned). I guess the recent hacking and stealing of information from Sony (and Bethesda too for that matter - twice, which really sucks) isn't helping their cause. The fines and other legal liabilities are expected to be heavy (but I guess it's the only good way to implement it).

The trouble is, you can't have another entity share an account name. If we "deleted" the account someone else could then use it. I hope the powers that be are considering the ramifications of their actions, but there is a very good reason why we do what we do.

Yeah, I agree, it'll require (small) technical adjustments, which should be done by the communities developing the forums software, not by you. Technically it'll be very easy, but I guess I won't start here a debate about the most proper implementation. Thanks for the moderating'n'stuff :)