Small permanent skill bonus when making a skill legendary.

Davidegzz

When you make a skill legendary, you get a permanent effect related to that skill that will last forever adding a +5 bonus for that skill.

It stacks everytime. if you make the same skill legendary for 9 times and then bring it to 100 again, you will have 145(100+5*9) on that skill.

The bonus should be readable in the magic "persistent effects" tab named as something like "Legendary Skillname"

Imho, this will add more longevity and more overall fun and satisfaction on the late game.

Also it will add more sense to making skills legendary, what's the sense of making a skill "legendary" for not even slightly improving it but improving the rest of your characters skills instead?

Yeah, in the long term your character will become way more OP, but who cares, it's the endgame, people love to have their characters stronger to play higher difficulties, and i personally love "passive bonuses"

I searched for something like this a lot and i couldn't find. If something like this already exist i apologize for missing it.

Edited by Davidegzz

I'll add this because i feel it's very important:

The main reason because i think a mod like this would be game-changing it's because, With this mod, you would be actually pushed into making your most used skills Legendary.

Instead of simply choosing the easyest skill to re-learn (like some unused magic tree or Block) and just re-maxing that one everytime just to take the extra levels and perks.

I mean, if my character is completely focused on the One-handed skill and restoration, why would i make them legendary?

They are hard to get raised back, i could just simply respec block (which i never use) find a giant and stay there blocking blows and healing.

Personally i realized i can get block from 15 to 100 in like 15mins of blocking a giant. And after discovering that, there's no way back, why should i spend hours raising other skills to make them legendary, when block is the most quick?

Without this mod, if you want to become strong, the easyest and most convienient way is boring and repetitive.

With a mod like this, instead, you would be pushed in keep playing your character using its main skills and actually become more powerful in them and not just overally more powerful (which is always been one of the TES possible endgame flaws)

Sidenote: Since some skills are way more hard to raise than other, the bonus could even be bigger for some skills.

example : Speech is hard as hell to rise, so instead of giving 5bonus point (which is more than fine for many other skills) the bonus could be 10 or even 15.

---------------TL DR---------------- :

- In the original way, you will possibly find yourself selecting the "easyer to rise" skill and re-making it legendary over and over again to gain perks to spend on the other trees

- This way, you will be incentived in actually keep using and raising the skills your character is focused on even when going deep into lategame.

Edited by Davidegzz

I concur. When I saw the splash screen about legendary skills my immediate reaction was "why would I want to reset the skills I use often to 15 when I've gotten it so high"? Having a permanent bonus from it is something I can get behind.

I can't immediately think of how to enact it without scripting though, so it may not be a easy as one would like.

Maybe just add some *kind of* powerful perks that add to the point that you have mastered this skill before.

Like onehanded could have extra bleeding damage?

Block, a small chance to paralyze upon power bash

Two handed, chance to disarm upon power attack

Light armor, move faster when wearing all light armor.

Heavy armor, never stagger?

These added "perks" would be hard to repeat upon the second or third legendary (unless its the "small chance" perks which would stack)

I guess most of the magic skills would be less magicka to perform spells? idk

so ALL IN ALL this would definitely take some thought and some scripting but would be a greatly welcomed addition to the game.

I'm not sure it's really needed to add other perks, il would be really more long to do, as a mod.

And every existing skill is already gaining benefits from having a permanent bonus in it.

One handed will do a little more dmg for every point after 100... every magicka cost for spells will be lower, ecc ecc.

I would keep it this way(maybe with numeric changes in bonus) but not making it more complicate, at least until someone doesn't try to do a basic version of it.

Obviously i posted it here because i'm not able to do it myself and actually have no idea of how even starting to make mods.

Edited by Davidegzz

idk I feel like the fact that you see the skill physically go over 100 kind of makes the concept of legendary kind of redundant doesn't it.

I mean if skills could go over 100, then whats the point of legendary. Why not just break the skill cap and allow people to continue leveling up their skills past 100.

Also, gaining additional skill levels past 100 is completely useless for people in the magic school or sneak school because the main reason they have skill points is to get perks. A higher skill level for schools of magic and sneak mean absolutely nothing because they don't NEED skill levels over 100.

anyway, I like the idea of having a bonus after achieving legendary, I don't like the idea of making it something as simple, and useless, as having additional skill points. It's kind of meaningless because first of all, its only useful for the school of combat, and, second of all, even then its STILL pretty useless. Imagine how many times you would have to achieve legendary for it to actually make a difference. Skill levels really don't do much for you, damage-wise. Its not as satisfying as gaining a passive perk/ lesser power. And isn't the goal to make achieving legendary more satisfying.

Edited by Tehandyman

It would be about the same amount of work to add effects as to add skill points; either way you'll have to make an invisible perk you get when you get a legendary skill. I;s be perfectly willing to do it except I don't know how to make it happen when a skill turns legendary and I'm not a scripter, which I assume is how to make it happen (I don't see any "GetIsLegendary" conditions in the CK).

there's a papyrus script for checking if a skill is legendary.

if that is used to flip a global variable, then you could use condition functions to check if skills are legendary.

Someone's going to make a mod like this eventually, because it's not a hard one to make at all.

I think the only reason no modders have bothered yet is because legendary resets aren't a very interesting game mechanic.

Good game mechanics shouldn't need further incentives :P

eh what the heck I'll do it.

Edited by GrimyBunyip

there's a papyrus script for checking if a skill is legendary.

if that is used to flip a global variable, then you could use condition functions to check if skills are legendary.

Someone's going to make a mod like this eventually, because it's not a hard one to make at all.

I think the only reason no modders have bothered yet is because legendary resets aren't a very interesting game mechanic.

Good game mechanics shouldn't need further incentives :P

eh what the heck I'll do it.

I'd say biggest reason why it's not done is:

SkyRe

Ace

As it wouldn't work too well with those mods if the bonuses would be in the perks itself.