Adding perks/special effects to weapons

Notomasa

I just found out how to add a perk to any equipment/spell you EQUIP. and the perk is only effect as long as you have the equipment or spell equiped (even if you don't have you weapon or spell drawn, it is still equipped)

Just make your perk

-then make a completely new magic effect (call it whatever, like addperkXYZ) & you will see, on the left, "Perk to apply". Select the perk you just made. and make sure the "delivery" is set to "self" and "casting type" is "constant effect"

--then make a spell (call it whatever like abPerkXYZ) make the type - "ability" & then add the effect you just made (addperkXYZ)

---Now make another magic effect (name it like EnchantmentPerkXYZ) This effect will have whatever enchants on it you want like fire ice. or you leave all that stuff blank if you just want to add the perk. At the very bottom you'll see "equip ability". Just choose the spell you made (abPerkXYZ)

----Last you'll need to make your enchantment. Just add your new effect to it (EnchantmentPerkXYZ!! not addperkXYZ) and put that enchantment on you weapon of choice.

Just know that as long as you have that sword equipped, you have that perk active. For example, if this perk made you do more damage to men and you put the enchant on a dagger (a one handed weapon) the your other hand weapon will also have this ability!!

Edited by Kenmurikumo

Just know that as long as you have that sword equipped, you have that perk active. For example, if this perk made you do more damage to men and you put the enchant on a dagger (a one handed weapon) the your other hand weapon will also have this ability!!

You could always make two versions of the enchantment to condition it to affect only one hand.

• 1 month later...

How would this be done using scripting?

You would follow what Bethesda has done for the Silver sword, so a script attached to the weapon which is similar to this:

Perk Property WeaponPerk auto

Event OnEquipped(Actor akActor)
	akActor.AddPerk(WeaponPerk)
EndEvent

Event OnUnEquipped(Actor akActor)
	akActor.RemovePerk(WeaponPerk)
EndEvent

You can also add spells/abilities the same way.

Edited by CraftySentinel

You would follow what Bethesda has done for the Silver sword, so a script attached to the weapon which is similar to this:

EndEvent

EndEvent

How would I word it for adding a magic effect?

EndEvent

EndEvent

Magic Effects can't really be added by themselves (AFAIK), you can only add the containers of Magic Effects (Abilities, Shouts, Spells, Enchants, Potions, Scrolls). So depending on what you want your magic effect to do is the container you should use.

...At least that's my understanding of it.

Edited by CraftySentinel

EndEvent

EndEvent

Magic Effects can't really be added by themselves (AFAIK), you can only add the containers of Magic Effects (Abilities, Shouts, Spells, Enchants, Potions, Scrolls). So depending on what you want your magic effect to do is the container you should use.

...At least that's my understanding of it.

Thank you so much for your help. Could you do one more thing for me and rewrite the script for adding an enchantment? Also, if I use scripting to enchant a base weapon, will it conflict with the enchanted versions of that base item? And can I add an enchantment script to an already enchanted weapon?

Edited by MinisterTanner

Thank you so much for your help. Could you do one more thing for me and rewrite the script for adding an enchantment?

Ah... There lies a problem you can set an Enchantment, of the Base weapon form but not the instance of the weapon. So if you were to add a Enchantment to the weapon (or armor) when you equip it all other weapons (or armor) derived from that form would also receive the enchantment you specify but if that's what your intending then the following would be a decent replacement script:

Scriptname _NewScript extends ObjectReference  

Enchantment Property WeaponEnchant  Auto  

;This can be changed to cast as Armor instead to set an armor enchantment.
	(GetBaseObject() as Weapon).SetEnchantment(WeaponEnchant)
EndEvent

;This can be changed to cast as Armor instead to set an armor enchantment.
	(GetBaseObject() as Weapon).SetEnchantment(WeaponEnchant)
EndEvent
Edited by CraftySentinel