Required files notification and comment download history update

Dark0ne

In response to post #11574013.

What would be really nice (although I could see being a coding disaster) is to integrate this requirement into NMM. Whenever you click "Download with manager", before this pop-up appears, NMM would check your installed mods to see if those required files are not only already downloaded, but installed.

It'd be equally cool if we could have NMM updated to show requirements when trying to install a mod there too - "This mod requires that [x] be installed, but you don't seem to have it installed. Would you like to install that file first?" With the options of course being "Yes", "No", and "Nice try, NSA... but you won't fool me!"

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not being a mod author myself, I think this a great idea. Perhaps, for the mod authors, they could have the capability to request a site moderator to ban an individual from downloading their files for whomever fails to read and follow the instructions laid out for them?

Oi! The everlasting quest to make everything idiot proof...

I hate to be a downer, but making anything truly idiot proof is pretty much impossible.

On the other hand I can understand a need to protect some of the more prolific modders from the ocean of stupid comments and inane bullshit they no doubt have to deal with on a day to day basis. Such is the life of a servant of the people. It's amazing anyone would want to subject themselves to the sense of entitlement and stupidity in the first place. Well... Good luck.

In response to post #11580511.

Well, for what it's worth they already can do that themselves, banning users from their mod pages for all or individual files, without involving any moderators, thanks to the new mod author moderation tools introduced a while ago. But I wonder why they should?

Being a mod author myself I've had my fair share of this kind of mod users already over the years, and even today they still pop up now and again.
Is it a bother having to constantly re-iterate every single sentence from what was already laid out right before their eyes in the description and the mod page all the time?
Does it get annoying repeating yourself over and over and starting to feel like a parrot or a broken LP?
Why sure! But is it enough to warrant a ban from your mods? I don't think so. And most other authors I know think the same.

There's far better reasons to ban people from your mods than just not reading the instructions.
There's already the commonly found option to state in your sticky you're not going to answer questions which could've been answered by reading your readme, and who then comes along and causes a ruckus over not being answered and not caring what's written in the readme or not, 'this' individual will then find itself on the side of those unable to access the mods any longer.
Not because the user didn't read the instructions, but because it was repeatedly causing trouble in the comments.

Who's not reading the readmes is getting himself into trouble big time sooner or later. Not all authors will reply with the solutions they asked for, while they could've already read them up on page 1 all the time.
Mod users must learn these principle basics for their own sake or they'll inevitably die at a point later on. But how are they supposed to ever learn, when they're already banned from the mods the very first mistake?

Uncle Shiholude's Tip of the Week:

"Never, ever, underestimate an faceless moron with a keyboard and an opinion (or anything else that might be misconstrued as a electrical brain function)..."

Cheers friends, and continue to superb work!

-Shiholude

In response to post #11574013. #11578501 is also a reply to the same post.

Really liked seeing this feature when I came to the site today, but now I realize what an annoyance it can be, especially when it removes the one-click download with NMM, forcing 2 clicks.

So, I have to agree with this suggestion: We need an exclusion feature to not be alerted about certain mods, especially popular ones like SkyUI (MCM), SKSE and the unofficial patches, as at least 80% of mods require at least one of them. Edited by DAOWAce

I probably download more mods on this site than anyone other than my fellow staff members. I am super glad we have this feature. Adding one more click doesn't bother me in the least. I guess that is because I come from the days of Pong, rotary dial telephones and killing bears on the way to school with my loose-leaf notebook. :)