Boss or Loot?

maladar

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BOSS is a program that looks at a static list of mods put together and maintained by volunteers.

As such, mods are placed within the list according to the volunteer's interpretation of where it belong.

This also means that BOSS master list requires constant updating.

Once LOOT is released, volunteer support for BOSS will be even less than it is now (meaning even more unrecognized plugins).

LOOT actually looks at what a mod changes and sorts it in relation to what other mods change.

The LOOT master list is very minimal, so with a few exceptions, it never needs updating.

Follow the official BOSS / LOOT thread here http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1492334-wip-bossloot-development-thread-5/

BOSS 3.0 / LOOT seems pretty okay to use for the most part, but if you aren't using any mods made this year, I don't really recommend it. I got some CTDs after using it, but I believe that was 100% unrelated, save for possibly SPIKE.esm being placed before Update.esm. I'm not allowing it to do that, and I'm not using any new mods and I've used the new load order from it for a few hours now and everything seems great. I'll be messing with it for at least another week before deciding for sure whether I like it or not, though. My main issue so far is how messy the load order is. One .esp of mod might be at the very top of the order while the other .esp is at the bottom of it; ugh, so unorganized.

LOOT works completely differently than Boss 2.1/2.2 does, though. BOSS 2 is very rudimentary and is basically a sorting software, whereas LOOT actually looks at all the mods and decides where to place them by seeing what they do, from my understanding.

Also, BOSS 2.2 is using the same masterlist that 2.1 is/was using, from what I can tell, so that means the masterlist hasn't been updated since around mid-January. Unless I'm terribly misinformed and have somehow managed to miss this information for 1/4 of a freaking year.