Fallout 3 CTD on Windows 7

zebrin

Technical Data

OS - Windows7 64bit home premium

Processor - Pentium® Dual-Core CPU E5400 @2.7GHz 2.7GHz

RAM 6GB

Onboard video card

Disk version of game, patched to 1.7 (From bethsoft site)

Fixed stupid games for windows live error (Ordinal 5360 error)

Set to lowest video settings.

When I run the game, it starts just fine, gets to the main menu, and allows full access to pretty much everything there. however, once I try to use the "New Game" selection, it goes to a loading screen, does it's thing for a random amount of time, (Anywhere from 3-7 seconds.) then crashes to the desktop with an option to see what went wrong.

Apparently it is a somewhat common problem with Fallout3 on Windows 7, but I found nothing using the find function on the forums. (Just a different thing involving sound going but no video...)

Any thoughts?

Just a stab in the dark -

Are you running any of the DLC's ? I'm not sure, as I am new to FO3 myself, but the patches from 1.4 on mostly have to do with a relevant DLC.

Maybe you would be better off with the just first patch if you are just running the main game.

I can't add more as my problems did not include this kind of crash.

Bbrand new install, brand new computer, have not bothered with .ini tweaks yet because they are usually used for mods(Of which I need the game to WORK before I touch them...). Have reinstalled. Twice. It is really annoying. I have tried the uhm... wonderful... compatibility mode, tried windowing it. And it isn't in the default directory. still does the exact same bloody thing.

Oh, and I just tried to load up a save from another computer. It went about 10 seconds this time, then shunted me out of the program.

I really have no idea what is going on here.

Edited by zebrin

yes, but is your on-board video chip up to this game?

That is a good consideration, but he is using low settings, so he should at least be able to run it.

So this is a notebook then ? I'm not familiar with your processor, but I thought 6GB RAM was for the triple channel i series cpu and MB.

Are you running other games successfully ?

The only other things I can think of are:

Don't use auto save

btw: I have FO3 on both a Win 7 and XP machine. I had lots of trouble with lock ups on the Win 7. XP had different issues.

I detailed my solutions to those problems on the Random BSOD thread, but I thought you may be having a different issue.

Go here to see if your computer can run the game

You will find Oblivion listed as 'The Elder Scrolls IV, Oblivion

Fallout3 as Fallout3 PC

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

Even some of the newer laptops use cheap video subsystems that have problems with high end games.

You may also try uninstalling, then reinstalling without the patch and trying it that way first

Go here to see if your computer can run the game

You will find Oblivion listed as 'The Elder Scrolls IV, Oblivion

Fallout3 as Fallout3 PC

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

Even some of the newer laptops use cheap video subsystems that have problems with high end games.

You may also try uninstalling, then reinstalling without the patch and trying it that way first

While not a laptop, it appears I need to buy a new video card. the chipset that came with this thing is PATHETIC!

Well, thanks for the tip.