Respect

kvnchrist

Respect isn't something given away for free, it must be earned. Sure, there are some situations where you MUST show respect..... (superior officers, etc.) but, in civilian life.... nope. You get what I feel like giving you. I don't base it on anything other than the person behavior. Nothing else really matters. Not race, gender, sexual orientation, phase of the moon, or the direction the wind is blowing.

Respect isn't something given away for free, it must be earned. Sure, there are some situations where you MUST show respect..... (superior officers, etc.) but, in civilian life.... nope. You get what I feel like giving you. I don't base it on anything other than the person behavior. Nothing else really matters. Not race, gender, sexual orientation, phase of the moon, or the direction the wind is blowing.

HeyYou has succinctly stated his and coincidentally my view so well that I have nothing to add except applause.

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac177/Aurielius/respect.jpg

I agree, but , one thing i cannot understand is why - to this day- is political and religious opinion are taken to offense? Sometimes you are the bigger man/woman by agreeing to disagree than by forcing confrontation. I know it's old and cliche-ish..but, those two conversational aspects really do incite.

In my neighborhood, we have Jehovah's witnesses knocking on our doors on occasion, some neighbors get pissed, Me? I talk to 'em. I like to exchange views with them. If you can get them past their standard literature, and bring out the person, you'd be surprised how many of them are good people...you gotta get 'em off of those pamphlets though. :) Ask them about their kids, ect. I used to avoid them like the plague, now I actually look forward to exchanging with (some) of them

Then again, in today's society, playing any sort of minority "card" is preferable to actual debate to some. Society makes it easy to feel like a 'victim' and debate from a victim status in order to gain sympathy from others