To mod or not to mod?

EmperorPilaf

Do you ever feel like creating mods isn't the best use of time?

In creating mods the modder must devote time and effort to create an extension of a game, but the game is copyrighted and is the property of a video game company. Modding is like building a house on someone else's property for free, you can create something really cool through mods in various PC games but the world in which it exists is not truly your property. Modders may find that to complete a mod properly they might become so absorbed in creating that they neglect aspects of their own lives. Hours of unpaid time spent in front of a computer creating something in someone else's sandbox begins to feel like a waste after a while.

I often wonder how certain modders found the time to create such vast and detailed creations and still have time for the responsibilities of reality. I understand the joy of creating a mod from your own love of a game, but the devotion one has for a game shouldn't take over hours and hours of ones own life continuously without end just to ultimately create something in a virtual realm.

There is only so much time in one's life, to use a chunk of that time to create objects to add on to some virtual dreamworld feels wrong to me.

@ Postal001:

It's fine as a hobby as long as you know how to limit your time spent modding. Which can be impossible for some since working on a mod is kind of like when an artist creates a painting, the artwork is never truly finished until the artist gives up on it.

You answered your own point. Any hobby can become an obsession, the amount of time one spends on it is an entirely separate issue from what the hobby happens to be. E.g. I know some people who've spent 40+ years building model train layouts. Who is anyone to tell them it "feels wrong"? They enjoy the activity more than I do. So what?

Do you ever feel like creating mods isn't the best use of time?

In creating mods the modder must devote time and effort to create an extension of a game, but the game is copyrighted and is the property of a video game company. Modding is like building a house on someone else's property for free, you can create something really cool through mods in various PC games but the world in which it exists is not truly your property. Modders may find that to complete a mod properly they might become so absorbed in creating that they neglect aspects of their own lives. Hours of unpaid time spent in front of a computer creating something in someone else's sandbox begins to feel like a waste after a while.

I often wonder how certain modders found the time to create such vast and detailed creations and still have time for the responsibilities of reality. I understand the joy of creating a mod from your own love of a game, but the devotion one has for a game shouldn't take over hours and hours of ones own life continuously without end just to ultimately create something in a virtual realm.

There is only so much time in one's life, to use a chunk of that time to create objects to add on to some virtual dreamworld feels wrong to me.

You mod so we don't have to. Some of us don't know how to. We are afraid that we might break something. :ohdear: And that the world we saved then is doomed. My real response though would be:

If you're going to mod; mod like you've never modded before because if you like it, if it's your "hobby" then why not? And there's lots of people who'll appreciate your work, so there's an added bonus.

Just don't start a mod, release an Alpha/Beta of the said mod, get people hyped and then abandon it. :wallbash: Much like "The Eagle Has Landed" mod for Fallout 3. It's annoying. I'm sure you know. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

if you're concerned about productivity you shouldn't be playing (or posting on a forum) at all. instead you should be working... procreating, i don't know.

then again that's not very healthy either.

http://i.imgur.com/biv4CQI.jpg

people should have --and should be entitled to have hobbies, interests, things that they do simply because they LIKE them.

AND DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU OTHERWISE!