Danwoods FCOM SUPERPACK - Post your thoughts

torseaton

• 4 months later...

I'm just about to begin a playthrough of oblivion and about to install FCOM when I found this... looked interesting at first but I don't really care for the "hardcore realism" bent, not my thing. And since there are a lot of changes/settings I don't care about and no instructions on how to disable/remove them, I think I'll pass.

• 2 years later...

The superpack does not work anymore.

Steam denies it. I started the game to create ini. Yes clean install. Manually deleted everything from before three times. Installed the superpack. The superpack said to launch with shortcut to obse. Doesnt work. Denies me to do so. Said i sould start the game through steam. In game, only the fonts have changed. I have no backpack, i have no texture update, no alternate start, no nothing else.

This superpack died with time.

Too bad modding oblivion is a bore. I wont play the game as is and Im not gonna use another 40 hours trying to do so.

Anyone know how to fix this?

If you try to run a Steam version of Oblivion with the obse_loader.exe, it will tell you to run the thing from Steam instead. If you have OBSE installed correctly, it should be loaded to the game when you launch the game from Steam. And if you want to use replacer mods (meshes, textures, UI) with the Steam version, you need to change the dates of the base game BSA archives to something older (2006 or earlier) for those mods to work - the ones from Steam have too recent dates.

If you use Mod Organizer, you should probably switch to Wrye Bash or something like that. The launch mechanism for MO needs to be set to "script extender" with Oblivion + OBSE, so that it will be loaded properly (you cannot start Steam version of Oblivion + OBSE through MO). You will also need to manually copy all OBSE plugins to the actual directory, because they do not work through MO. There is nothing wrong with Mod Organizer as a mod manager, I use it myself and am extremely happy with it, but there are some things that need to be kept in mind, and some have had difficulties getting it to work.

As for why some FCOM stuff does not work, I cannot help with that, as I have never used anything like it. Building mod setup from single mods has worked for me. It is a god way to pick the mods one wants, and also keep an eye on what ends up in the game. :thumbsup:

FCOM is not so difficult to install if you follow a reasonable written instructions. It's not easy either though, it's long and tedious. Broken links everywhere also don't help one bit.

For all this reasons, honestly I think it's not worth it.

Besides, in my game the crashing increased really a lot with FCOM (max playtime 45min) and many OOO mechanics are now better available with other mods. Besides, in general it's not always true that "more is better."

My humble opinion is to stay smaller, fix only what you really dislike about the game.

Edited by zdswulyx

The superpack works ... you did something wrong. However I do not recommend you to install that. You'll have a lot of mods installed, some you may not like. Some mods are old and have been updated since. Some have been configured in a way you may not like.

If you are new to modding and have a problem in-game, you are screwed because with the amount of mods you'll have, it will be hard to find the issue. I hope you made a back-up of your clean install.

It is better to install mods one by one, test them one by one, and be patient ...

FCOM can be hard to install, if you don't want to try the installation process, you can have a look at 'Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul' (very easy to install) and maybe OOO with it, then add some realism mods (sleep, hunger, thirst) , some retextures (qtp3 redimized for instance), Oblivion Reloaded and ENB, DarnUI and some mods listed in the package you may like. This will take at max some hours. And use Wrye Bash to install your mods.

Edited by bevilex

• 8 months later...

Hey

The superpack works ... you did something wrong. However I do not recommend you to install that. You'll have a lot of mods installed, some you may not like. Some mods are old and have been updated since. Some have been configured in a way you may not like.

If you are new to modding and have a problem in-game, you are screwed because with the amount of mods you'll have, it will be hard to find the issue. I hope you made a back-up of your clean install.

It is better to install mods one by one, test them one by one, and be patient ...

FCOM can be hard to install, if you don't want to try the installation process, you can have a look at 'Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul' (very easy to install) and maybe OOO with it, then add some realism mods (sleep, hunger, thirst) , some retextures (qtp3 redimized for instance), Oblivion Reloaded and ENB, DarnUI and some mods listed in the package you may like. This will take at max some hours. And use Wrye Bash to install your mods.

I have seen some of your youtoube clips, this amazing. I am new to modding Oblivion, well to modding at all. And I was looking for guides for how to start modding. I wasn't convinced by your post, but after your clips and after this one from PredCaliber:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vIXanyxKDU

Well tell where to start please, are there good guides how to start?