The extends script does not exist !

daisy8

Hi everyone

Whenever I attempt to add a new script I end up with the message "The extends script does not exist, please pick one that does".

The "Extends" on the new script window is objectreference, however I get the same message for any extension.

I am also not able "edit source" on existing scripts either, (right click on the script). The edit source option is greyed out. Means I am unable to view scripts, either original game ones or ones I wrote before.

All the scripts are in the correct folder and the game works fine.

My Creation Kit was automatically updated very recently.

Any help ??

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems to be due to the new update it has removed the loose papyrus source files and placed them in a .rar file ("scripts.rar") in the base Data folder of the Skyrim installation. You'll have to extract the rar back into their original folder again for CK to work correctly.

Edited by Arocide

I have this problem too and have found it very frustrating as I've spent a while searching for answers with no success. I have the same problems as Daisy but extracting the 'scripts.rar' to the scripts folder and verifying the game cache have not worked for me. Can someone please confirm exactly where I am extracting this file to in case I have this wrong, thanks!

I can only open scripts that I have created myself - however when I save any alterations it fails to compile and says "Failed to locate script ''ActiveMagicEffect" and 'Failed to locate script Utility'", and "Unable to find flags file: TESV_Papyrus_Flags.flg"

This is all very frustrating as this error seems to have just appeared from nowhere, and caused a lot of lost time.

All while I was having fun scripting a fully functioning dubstep spell :sad:

Edited by PeteTheBard

I have fixed the problem a little - I copied all the scripts manually from Data>Scripts>Scripts>Source to

Data>Scripts>Source>Temp

Now I can edit scripts I have previously created without compilation errors, however I still cannot create brand new scripts or open Skyrim's vanilla scripts.

As you can probably tell I am a scripting noob who has no idea what to do :)

Ok I got it. I found the other thread that Arocide wrote on and the script.rar file needs to be extracted and copied to the Data>Scripts>Source folder.

Thanks for your wisdom! Back to scripting!

Thank you very much. I was starting to get frustrated searching for answers, then I did the extraction and that didn't work so I was more upset until I saw this and extracted to the Source Folder and was good to go.