The extends script does not exist !

daisy8

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Now it just says the script already exists no matter what I type in :sad:

Having the same issue here. I first had the issue of "The extends script does not exist, please pick one that does" and I did as instructed in this thread to extract the scripts and put them in the correct folder.

That done, when trying to create my new script, if I stick with the name I wanted for it (aaBYOHgetItem), I get the message "That script already exists, please choose a different name".

However I cannot see the script in the CK, even with "Show Hidden Scripts" ticked on, and I cannot find the file either in the scripts/source folder. Even made a Windows search: it returns nothing.

I am very much at loss as to what's going on here. If I try to name the script differently (ie: aaBYOHgetItems) I'm back to square one with "The extends script does not exist" so I really don't know what to do.

I've googled both error messages but only found another thread containing the second one (That script already exists), but the issue wasn't addressed.

Additionally, if I try to add one of the scripts I have previously created, the option to Edit Source when I right-click it is greyed out. However I can edit a script from a tutorial resource that I added manually by copy pasting it into the scripts folder.

So I tried to make a copy of that one, rename it (and change the name of files referenced inside, using notepad++) and copy paste it in the script/source folder, but while I can then find the script in the CK and add it, I get the error message: "Script "aaBYOHgetItem" had errors while loading, it will not be added to the object" – I'm not so surprised, that would have been too easy.

[update] I uninstalled and reinstalled the CK, and it solved most of the issue: I can create new scripts and edit them, but still cannot edit my older scripts (which is very frustrating).

Edited by MoonSweets

• 2 months later...

Sorry this still doesn't work for me, I have extracted script.rar file into data and into the scripts>source folder but still it tells me that the extends script does not exist. It's so annoying, I've come so far in my mod and I'm not willing to let it all go for this one stupid glitch! Can anyone help me?

Sorry this still doesn't work for me, I have extracted script.rar file into data and into the scripts>source folder but still it tells me that the extends script does not exist. It's so annoying, I've come so far in my mod and I'm not willing to let it all go for this one stupid glitch! Can anyone help me?

Please post the exact path to the scripts folder. When you extracted the scripts.rar file did you extract it in your data folder, or did you move it to the desktop and extract it. Some users, when extracting inside the data folder wind up with data/scripts/source/source which may be why you are getting the errors. It should be data/scripts/source

Edited by Aragorn58

I have the same exact problem I'll be looking around for a solution. If I find anything I will post it.I'm going to do a clean install of Skyrim and Creation Kit to see what it looks like from there. This is very annoying. I can't even create a simple script to point my character at a custom follower with a courier letter. Annoying as crap all these bogus good for nothing updates.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have fixed the problem a little - I copied all the scripts manually from Data>Scripts>Scripts>Source to

Data>Scripts>Source>Temp

Now I can edit scripts I have previously created without compilation errors, however I still cannot create brand new scripts or open Skyrim's vanilla scripts.

As you can probably tell I am a scripting noob who has no idea what to do :smile:

This made me so happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was pounding my head against the wall.

Edit: Didn't work. Neither did the first instructions... going on to trying extracting with NMM. Best I can tell, it's because the extracted files are pex files?

Edited by aleniskendra

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

I'm going to necro this cause after reading through everything, every fix there is on this issue doens't apply to my situation. The file is actually Scripts.zip. the scripts are in the right place and the CK is still throwing this error. I verified the script I'm trying to extend is most definitely in the data\scripts\source folder and the CK is auto loading it's name for extension and yet the CK claims that it does not exist. And yes I'm running the CK as admin, whenever I create scripts in FO4CK I have no problems creating new ones and editing them. SO it seems the issue is a little more than a zip/rar file fix. Oh and this is the Skyrim SE CK that's giving me this error. I hope someone has an answer to this issue. I sure would like to finish my work.