Why are kids im/mortal in your game?

dpgillam

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soupdragon has the right of it; Om not making an argument, just asking for experiences, or rp.

Good point, HeyYou. Though I usually feel those two mods sort cheat. As the hero, it should be my job to kill the baddies befor they hurt any innocents. Unrealistic, I know, but thats the goal.

Of course, then there's Sven, my nord DB psychopath who kills everything the game will let him. Skyrim is even more empty in that run-through :laugh:

Edited by dpgillam

Soupdragon has the right of it; Om not making an argument, just asking for experiences, or rp.

Good point, HeyYou. Though I usually feel those two mods sort cheat. As the hero, it should be my job to kill the baddies befor they hurt any innocents. Unrealistic, I know, but thats the goal.

Trouble is, the 'baddies' can show up while you are elsewhere, and you never even know they are around, until the courrier comes up to give you your 'inheritance' from whomever died. :) Besides, it makes a LOT more sense for folks to run and hide, and let actual FIGHTERS deal with such problems. Somehow, I just don't see folks like Belethor, or his wood-chopping buddy, as "fighters"...... they tend to get dead right quick.

• 4 weeks later...

It's good you play the hero and you feel the need to save these immortal kids from danger. the problem is thousands of other people play these games and the first thing they will do is figure out the most brutal way to kill the kid npc's. which really isn't a big issue thanks to the nexus. bethesda most likely knew modders would find their way around essential kid npc's it's just that as long as it's modded and not official. there will be no negative media toward bethesda. it's more of "why risk it and get screamed at by angry parents when we can let the modding community do it for us and then everyone is happy"

I'm less bothered with children in games as I am with the fact that the children generally don't contribute anything to the game, and there isn't a whole lot of variety. Nearly all the children in these games are of the snot-nosed brat variety with few exceptions. Meanwhile there are no tweens or teenage characters to speak of which might fit into that role of being annoying, but still somewhat helpful at times. More over, these characters rarely have any meaningful connections to plot, quests, ect. There's literally no depth to them.

As for morality... a lot of that could simply be solved by making child murder a very unpopular action that sticks with a character and adding consequences to immoral choices. If a person goes around murdering townspeople, especially children, it shouldn't just be a simple fine they have to pay, it should permanently make that community less willing to deal with the player or be unpredictably hostile (stabbing the player in the back while they're looking at something else for example). Could even add in nightmares or other "visions" where you would be haunted and kept being reminded of those you have killed like a conscience.

But at the same time, you also have to be able to give the player ways of interacting with NPCs beyond just having them talk at you. You should be able to scare off, intimidate, or reason with NPCs that you don't want following you around so that killing or attacking isn't the only way.

Mortal in my games (Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim).

Reason:

Everything has a chance to die - I have no Essential NPC's at all in my games. If a Dragon/Vampire/Bandits/Opposing army raids a town/city. then everything within is subject to the resulting damage and injury.

I don't run around in game killing kids myself (expect for one Fallout 3 character, but they were genocidal) - but if they happen to die during a battle, or even due to an accident, then so be it.

Plus, kinda breaks the scene if you see a town burning, bodies everywhere and a couple of kids just run up to you past their parents smoking corpses and yell "Hey, wanna play tag?".

• 2 weeks later...

Immortal because I hate dead towns which is why i use essential npc mods for towns because the vampires make my towns dead quick and I don't feel like doing dawngaurd at all. Also I don't feel the need to, feels out of character for me.

Immortal because I hate dead towns which is why i use essential npc mods for towns because the vampires make my towns dead quick and I don't feel like doing dawngaurd at all. Also I don't feel the need to, feels out of character for me.

So why have it installed? Crossbows? :D