The Mouse Sensitivity @ Game-Menu VS. Game

F4c2a

Yes, the age old how-to-bloody-increase-mouse-sens-in-menus-because-the-ingame-slider-only-affects-gameplay question. Google shows plenty people having the same issue but no solution, nor could I find a mod to fix the issue.

This isn't honestly to say that people play with that granny speed?

Also: First post! Woo! =^_^=

First, open up your Oblivion.ini file and search for the following string:

• bUse Joystick=

Make sure there's a "0" and not a "1" after the equals sign if you're not using a joystick.

Disable VSync, which is known to cause problems with Oblivion in general. You can do that from within the Oblivion.ini file or from the game launcher.

If that doesn't help and you have an ATI graphics card then install "ATI Tray Tools" (Google it) and set "Flip Queue" to either 2 or 1. Try 2, first. Don't go any lower than 1 (you can set it to 0) or you'll probably reduce your fps significantly. It shouldn't be any higher than the default (3) and even that causes some problems with the Gamebryo engine which Oblivion uses.

If, instead, you have an NVidia card you probably have a utility pre-installed called the "Forceware Control Panel". Use it to set "Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames" in exactly the same way I described for ATI. You're doing the same thing, here -- the two manufacturers are simply using different terminology. I understand that some versions of FCP don't let you alter this parameter, in which case your alternative is to download "Riva Tuner" (again, Google it) and use this to set the "Prerender Limit", which is the same thing I've been talking about.

If none of that works, then I haven't a clue. I've never encountered this problem, myself, but those things I just mentioned can all affect mouse responsiveness in the game. From what I understand, though, some people have problems only in the menu, and I don't know that this has ever been tracked down and solved.

Much kudos for the expert advice, altho alas the problem is indeed not with mousehardwareresponsiveness or whatever (I've just read the oblivion tweak guide on that stuff) because it's all quite fine, the only thing that's hampered is the pure, unadulterated mouse SPEED. Simply the mouse travels much faster ingame than in the menus. And the mouse sens slider doesn't affect that. I'd imagine bethesda thought it adds cool flavor or whatever - but for an avid Quake fan like me it's just PAINFUL. :)

I agree with you F4c2a, especially the mouse movement in the lock picking 'mini-game'. We just have to somehow get over it and appreciate what's good in the game (and I find plenty of that).

Sorry none of those ideas helped, but I don't think you quite understand what I was trying to say. Most people aren't having this problem. My mouse moves just as quickly in the game as it does in menus. It did on my old laptop, too, and in neither case have I taken any special measures to change mouse responsiveness. This is an issue that only occurs for a very small proportion of users, which is, perhaps, one of the reasons the cause can't be tracked down.

And when I'm talking about "responsiveness" I'm talking about "speed". You move the mouse "x" distance on the mousepad in "y" amount of time, and the cursor moves "z" distance on the screen in "y" amount of time. In-game and in menus these numbers should be equal. On my computer (indeed on most people's computers), they are. On some peoples computers there is "lag" in the mouse behavior, or the mouse pointer simply doesn't move the same relative distance on-screen as it does in-game for the same distance the mouse moves on the mousepad.

When you're talking about "speed" I assume you're referring to the second situation. As an example, moving the mouse one inch on the mousepad might move the mouse pointer eight inches across the screen in-game, but only three inches in a menu. Most people will interpret this as "speed", when it's actually a matter of scaling.

I might suggest, just off-hand, that if you have any external mouse accelerator running that you disable it. This includes software that moves the mouse pointer with different scaling parameters depending upon whether you move the mouse slowly or abruptly.

Interesting. :l

Yes I suppose the wording is quite off. Should'ave said something like mouse pointer traveling distance doesn't scale in menus / isn't adjustable by in-game slider -unlike the gameplay distance... speed... mouse... Yeah lets just leave it at that.

Anyhow I do actually have a "3rd party" -mouse messing prog, which is my Razer diamondback drivers. (has an UI with seperate speed slider). It *might* be the culprit but I can't turn it off. (would screw settings)

Wouldn't go around blaming it easily tho considering I've used it for +5 years and never seen a problem like this. To be honest it's hard to even accept that its a problem because it seems/feels so intentional. Oh well, another one for Sherlock Holmes.