So Im Confused...

Vyctus

Alright so I downloaded the Creation Kit figuring it would have a Tutorial on it to help, because as much as I hate to admit it... Imma noob when it comes to creating my own mods and messing around with scripting/code/programming. Ive been to youtube and watched the tutorials there, but alas im not a visual learner or a book worm, Im a hands on learner and I learn fairly fast with the right teacher. Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

Please no smart-assery, I dont have the patience for idiots trying to be smart-asses.

Legitimate suggestions and help would be very welcome.

Thanks

There are plenty of tutorials around for the Creation Kit. If you prefer video, Beth has a set of tutorials to start out.

If you prefer text, then here are the tutorials on the (amazing) wiki: http://www.creationkit.com/Category:Tutorials

My scripting guide is coming out soon. It covers everything.

If you want a hands-on thing with lessons just for you, or something like, then you can A) PM someone who seems knowledgeable and see if they're kind enough to help or B) sign up at the Arcane University - however, this is only for people interested in joining Beyond Skyrim for the most part.

And this sort of thing does\require quite a bit of patience, so you should be able to spare it for people who ARE willing to help. :confused:

The fastest way I learnt to... learn things was to simply try create something small. Set small goals for yourself, which you know you could achieve in under two weeks or less.

The basic tutorials helped out a lot, especially the level design ones, so please don't skip them. You'd be amazed how much quicker you learn how tools work if you have to actively solve problems which you encounter when creating your own stuff. But really, don't be afraid to try new things or deviate from tutorials.

Here's some things you could try:

• Make a simple dungeon, perhaps 4-5 rooms in total. Add a few corridors between each room that feels different than the rest in some way.
  • Make a kill or fetch quest. Have players talk to an NPC, or find a quest item, which leads them to the location of an NPC they must kill.
Edited by Arcky

"Please no smart-assery, I dont have the patience for idiots trying to be smart-asses."

Can't help myself, it's an open invitation, just like "don't touch the wet paint"

Just like every mod muppet here (including myself), no one likes learning curve.

Everyone wants to create the awesome mod without knowing a thing or having to use my brain.

But don't want to read, don't want to actually absorb information, process it to actually complete the task at hand.

I'm special, spoon feed me the answers people.

Bottom line there is no easy way, simply read, watch and hands on experiment is all you can do.

There is no magic click "Put link here" and you can create anything without actually committing time, understanding or using your brain to accomplish what your after.

Edited by sLoPpYdOtBiGhOlE

Not saying I'm the super modder, but I'm fairly competent and I watched maybe 2 tutorials in my life. I cannot emphasize this enough you learn best by backwards engineering other mods. Ofc you don't start by opening up Falskaar or whatever in the CK, but start by taking a look at small mods and figure out how they accomplish things.

Before I knew scrap about papyrus I figured out properties and that by just filling properties differently I could accomplish some custom changes to mods. Change an effect here, some waiting time there, a target etc.. Do that for a while and things will start to come together.

Not saying I'm the super modder, but I'm fairly competent and I watched maybe 2 tutorials in my life. I cannot emphasize this enough you learn best by backwards engineering other mods. Ofc you don't start by opening up Falskaar or whatever in the CK, but start by taking a look at small mods and figure out how they accomplish things.

Before I knew scrap about papyrus I figured out properties and that by just filling properties differently I could accomplish some custom changes to mods. Change an effect here, some waiting time there, a target etc.. Do that for a while and things will start to come together.

Yeh, that's what I'm sayin here too. Retro-engineering and all that.

you just have to look...