Mods and assets from S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Dark0ne

...2. if you want to use assets from STALKER you have to gain permission from the right holder of those assets which could be ivan from ukraine for that ak47 or alexeij from vladiwostok for that nice camo suit or it could, if youre lucky, be GSC which yet gave permission to use it for their games and depending on interpretation other games too

I agree with this, and I think it is a very good point. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. can't speak for the owners of component materiel that went into S.T.A.L.K.E.R. mods with permission. This would fall to the authors of that materiel - unless they had given blanket permission for every man and his dog. In this case, it would be useful to for the release notice to refer to any relevant release notices in extant for component materiel. This chain of consent has always been a complication arising from the use of other people's art - even with their permission. This is why I tend to think that making one's mod dependent on the presence of another mod (rather than importing materiel) might seem messy and convoluted but I think that it works out to be the safest and easier tack over the long run.

Sometimes I think it is easier to just [re]develop from scratch...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly: I must be very wrong here but i though that when an employee creates an asset for a company (eg GSC) that the asset belonged to the company, not the employee, because they are being paid to develop it for the company. Seeing as everyone is saying stuff to the contrary, i must be wrong. What exactly are the propriety laws (just a short overview) for software assets?

Secondly: I applaud GSC for this statement, its good to see that they seem to be in the business to create games that people enjoy to play for the sake of enjoyment, instead of just to turn as much profit as possible. They make great games and I sincerely wish them every success in the future.

@crispyDWARF;

Your general impression is correct. When employed to produce materials, the resulting materials belong to the employer, not the employee. I believe the situation that a few people were referring to is when a company like GSC pays for assets from ANOTHER company to use in their products.

While I'm not aware of that happening with S.T.A.L.K.E.R, (and GSC certainly hasn't said anything like that) I know that's exactly the situation with Bethesda and FO3/FNV. The reason Bethsoft will not allow FO3 assets in FNV is that they licensed some materials for only the one game. Since they don't want to have to police the community to determine exactly which ones use which, they "just say no" to porting any of it. :dry: