LOOT (aka BOSS) for FO4?

Khormin

Google-fu did not offer much in the way of a connection yet; is this a thing under way, is the LOOT project retired (or disinclined from doing F4), or other?

It's not really needed anymore and hasn't been needed for Skyrim for quite some time. Load order is now preference and not required to be in a specific order. If you have 1 mod that changes the 10mm pistols magazine size to 10 and make it a master to one that changes it to 100 it wont make any difference in the order they are in the version with a magazine of 10 could be at the very bottom of the load order and you will have a magazine of 100 rounds. What sorting for load order you will need to do is based on preferences, 2 mods change similar stuff and also allot of different you would put the one that you prefer lower in the load order so it's similar changes are what's used. BOSS and LOOT cannot change your load order based on your preferences.

The reason BOSS or LOOT was needed was because having mods out of order would crash the game or mods had to be in a specific order to even work. Skyrim and FO4 no longer depend on load order like Oblivion or FO3/FNV. You can put Skyrim.esm or Fallout4.esm at the very bottom of your load order and the game will run just fine and all mods will work as intended. That makes LOOT or BOSS irrelevant. NMM or MO has a load order list that can be adjusted for personal preferences if you have 2 mods that change the same thing such as a large weapons overhaul and a single weapon change mod that changes the 10mm pistol and also adds a new weapon, put the overhaul higher up and the single below it so you get the single change or if you just want the new weapon you would put it higher in the list. LOOT or BOSS cannot make that decision for you "Do you want the overhauls changes and the new weapon or do you want the changes to the 10mm that came with the new weapon?" The answer to that question is what decides the load order and there is no software of any kind that can tell you what you prefer.

Try it, rearrange your load order to be alphabetical and see if the game crashes on startup or mods don't work. You will be surprised if you think it will crash and mods wont work.

Skyrim and FO4 no longer depend on load order like Oblivion or FO3/FNV. You can put Skyrim.esm or Fallout4.esm at the very bottom of your load order and the game will run just fine and all mods will work as intended.

I was never aware of this during my time playing Skyrim - was this all along, or just more recently?

They fixed it with one of the later patch's as far as I know. Most people think it is like it was when the game was first out and if your mods were out of order you would get a CTD. Now it doesn't matter what order they are in except for preferences and then lower in the order wins.

I think making the change for Skyrim was a beta test to see if there would be major problems so FO4 could have mods on consoles with as little knowledge of maintaining a load order as possible being required. Hell they may not even get the ability to set a load order and not be able to use 2 mods that change the same thing as well as change other things and move 1 above the other so their preferred mod is what's used.

Skyrim and FO4 no longer depend on load order like Oblivion or FO3/FNV.

Nothing has changed in how load order works and plugins interaction since Oblivion. LOOT is needed to minimize the chance of incompatibilities between mods that override the same records. It puts plugins that change a lot at the top, and lesser ones at the bottom so they all have the maximum effect in the game, and bigger mods don't completely override the smaller ones and make them completely irrelevant. It also sorts using master dependencies to avoid crashes and shows additional information for plugins that have entry in it's database like BOSS.

https://loot.github.io/docs/0.8.1/LOOT%20Readme.html

If you don't believe the readme, check the source code.

I don't know where are you getting all your information, but what you say here is completely wrong.

Edited by zilav

Did you try it in the game? No? because what I am saying was fully tested in the game in both Skyrim and FO4. 200+ mods in Skyrim and the game worked fine no matter how the load order was set. Try it.

There are over 40k mods for Skyrim and trillions of possible mod combinations. It doesn't mean anything if it works for you and your particular set of mods. I'm talking from a programmers perspective who knows how mods work in Bethesda games, you are talking from a position of ordinary user "it works for me, so this means I'm right". I don't want to argue, you can create a topic on official Bethesda forum in mods section to discuss that, mod authors and other knowledgable people prefer it to Nexus. Try it. But please stop spreading wrong information, this doesn't help anyone.