Scope's black area widescreen, while screen 4:3

K21Nova

EDIT: I think I stumbled upon a solution, read my latest.

Hi people,

I just recently started playing FO3 again, and I loaded the game up with mods. FOOK2, WMK, MMM, DUI, as well as some other smaller ones which should not be affecting the scope view. I will list all my mods later if required.

The problem is this: http://i53.tinypic.com/nzeohl.jpg

The black area of the scope - I don't know if it's called the overlay or the reticle or something like that, I'm really not well versed in these things - does not fill the entire screen. I'm playing on 1280x960 (4:3 resolution), and I tried - and took the screen shot on - 1600x1200 as well, to see if it makes a difference. My monitor is a 4:3 CRT so I have to use a 4:3 resolution.

I've been Googling this issue for the past week, finding bits and pieces here and there, but so far I've found no real information on what's causing the problem, and how I could fix it. I tried exporting the scope01.nif and .dds from the meshes and textures, and placing them in the data files, but that didn't do anything. I also downloaded some other scope meshes, and tried them, but it didn't help.

I was wondering if anyone has information on this issue straight away, as in "oh right it's THAT bug, I know that one, I've seen it before, I know exactly what to do". Failing that, perhaps someone is more knowledgeable on what might be causing it.

Thanks.

Edited by K21Nova

Hi people,

I just recently started playing FO3 again, and I loaded the game up with mods. FOOK2, WMK, MMM, DUI, as well as some other smaller ones which should not be affecting the scope view. I will list all my mods later if required.

The problem is this: http://i53.tinypic.com/nzeohl.jpg

The black area of the scope - I don't know if it's called the overlay or the reticle or something like that, I'm really not well versed in these things - does not fill the entire screen. I'm playing on 1280x960 (4:3 resolution), and I tried - and took the screen shot on - 1600x1200 as well, to see if it makes a difference. My monitor is a 4:3 CRT so I have to use a 4:3 resolution.

I've been Googling this issue for the past week, finding bits and pieces here and there, but so far I've found no real information on what's causing the problem, and how I could fix it. I tried exporting the scope01.nif and .dds from the meshes and textures, and placing them in the data files, but that didn't do anything. I also downloaded some other scope meshes, and tried them, but it didn't help.

I was wondering if anyone has information on this issue straight away, as in "oh right it's THAT bug, I know that one, I've seen it before, I know exactly what to do". Failing that, perhaps someone is more knowledgeable on what might be causing it.

Thanks.

Ah, yes. Not seen this for a while. :)

I think the problem stems from using an in-game resolution different to the one of your windows desktop.

For example, my monitor has a 1680x1050 (16:10) native resolution. If I were to try and use a lower resolution in-game (say, 1280x1024) - with a view to increase fps - then I would have the same problem. I think, if you were to drop your desktop resolution before launching the game (with the same resolution) the scope would probably fit the screen properly.

I went through various combinations of resolutions, but in the end I plumped for using the same resolution in-game as my desktop (1680x1050) and making various tweaks in the Launcher to improve performance.

Tweaks if you need them, here: http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout3_1.html

~Xeph'

Well, my desktop resolution is 1600x1200, which is also the resolution I took the screenshot on. I normally play FPS' on 1280x960 mostly because I get a bit better Hz on my crappy old CRT monitor on that resolution, and it also improves the game's performance slightly. What can you do, I have an old (ca. 2005) setup.

So, using the desktop resolution in game didn't do much for me.

Is the black area in the scope zoom some fixed texture, or does the black area just fill everything around the center reticule? When I open scope01.nif mesh in NifSkope, here's what I see:

http://i54.tinypic.com/1zmdloo.jpg

That box there, is that the screen area that's supposed to be black? Because it doesn't look like it's 4:3.

I have no idea how to use NifSkope, but I thought I'd get it since I found something on it with Google. Might be it has nothing to do with this issue.

Anyways, I'll check back in this thread after a while.

Off-topic: there are lots of nightvision (goggle) addons, and a couple binocular/telescope/detachable scope addons, but is there a nightvision binocular addon, or nightvision scopes for guns? Goggle addons which give you full nightvision are a nice addition when using Fellout (FOOK2), but nightvision binoculars without full goggle effect would be more interesting IMO. Oh well. :)

Thanks again.

Breakthrough!

Just like that, I think I stumbled upon a solution. It's one of those "I can't believe I spent so much time trying to figure this out and didn't think of this" -moments.

I had set the default FOV in the .ini file (all three, actually - game folder fallout_default, and my docs falloutprefs and fallout .ini -files, don't ask me why, I think I had some trouble with keeping the changes permanent) to 90, since I'm used to playing FPS games with a 90 degree FOV. To me, 75 FOV seems unnatural and makes me feel like I don't have any peripheral vision in the game.

So, it just dawned on me, and I dropped the FOV's in the .ini -files back to the default 75.

Now as I go into the game, the scope works fine, and even after I change the FOV to 90 via the console (fov 90), the scopes keep working fine.

Typing fov 90 every time I play is a small chore as long as the scopes work, so I'm now one happy wastelander.

People smarter than me are welcome to post here to explain what exactly it was with the FOV that caused all this, so that other people with this problem know what to do. I think not touching the default FOV is the solution, though.

Anyways, I'd edit the thread subject to state "solved" or something, but I guess you can't edit that. I added a note in the original post, though.

Very cool. Now I'm off to shoot some mutants. :)

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Breakthrough!

Just like that, I think I stumbled upon a solution. It's one of those "I can't believe I spent so much time trying to figure this out and didn't think of this" -moments.

I had set the default FOV in the .ini file (all three, actually - game folder fallout_default, and my docs falloutprefs and fallout .ini -files, don't ask me why, I think I had some trouble with keeping the changes permanent) to 90, since I'm used to playing FPS games with a 90 degree FOV. To me, 75 FOV seems unnatural and makes me feel like I don't have any peripheral vision in the game.

So, it just dawned on me, and I dropped the FOV's in the .ini -files back to the default 75.

Now as I go into the game, the scope works fine, and even after I change the FOV to 90 via the console (fov 90), the scopes keep working fine.

Typing fov 90 every time I play is a small chore as long as the scopes work, so I'm now one happy wastelander.

People smarter than me are welcome to post here to explain what exactly it was with the FOV that caused all this, so that other people with this problem know what to do. I think not touching the default FOV is the solution, though.

Anyways, I'd edit the thread subject to state "solved" or something, but I guess you can't edit that. I added a note in the original post, though.

Very cool. Now I'm off to shoot some mutants. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/smile.gif

Man, you just saved me!!! Thank you very much :smile:

I'm replying after 6 years tho...

Edited by maxxon89