How To Play Skyrim PC On A TV

LegoManIAm94

You don’t need to play Skyrim on a Xbox 360 or PS3 to play it on a TV. Go Here to show you how to hook your PC to a TV. You may need to ajust your brightness in the game. Now an optional cable they say you need is the 3.5mm to RCA audio cable. Well I did not use it and all it is for is to use the speakers on your TV for sound but I just used my computer speakers instead. It is recommend you use a Xbox 360 Gamepad so it will be easier to play. The Xbox 360 Controller works just like it will on a Xbox 360. Other controllers may work. Edited by LegoManIAm94

Well, all you really need is an HDMI cable, so long as your computer has an HDMI output and your TV has an available HDMI port.

If not, then check to make sure you don't have a DVI out, since you can easily get an HDMI to DVI adapter.

If you don't have either of those, then it's probably best using the original linked website to figure out what you need.

Edited by xaliqen

I did this when I played The Witcher 2. It is very nice to be able to lounge on the couch; however, it is a pain to drag your stuff back and forth, adjust the colors/brightness on your tv and also get your resolution spread out over your large tv size rather than your monitor size thus making the clarity less.

Well, all you really need is an HDMI cable, so long as your computer has an HDMI output and your TV has an available HDMI port.

Which my 40" Samsung has, in fact 4 HDMI inputs for all my HD devices, my PC, my PS3, my Comcast DVR and a spare for if I ever get an Xbox ;)

I can say without a doubt that Dragon Age looks fantastic at 1920 x 1080p

I'm hoping to see the same thing with Skyrim too.

Also note that I have had good luck using DVI 2 HDMI cables as well.

Not all graphics cards have an HDMI or Display Port output, however most have a DVI and/or Analog output connector.

Also note that I have had good luck using DVI 2 HDMI cables as well.

I also used a DVI to HDMI adapter for years, and it worked great. The one thing with that setup is that my graphics card didn't output a sound-channel through DVI, so I had to make other arrangements to get sound (I use headphones most of the time, anyway).

Edited by xaliqen

I used a DVI to HDMI adapter for years, and it worked great. The one thing with that setup is that my graphics card didn't output a sound-channel through DVI, so I had to make other arrangements to get sound (I use headphones most of the time, anyway).

With you there, however, I use a separate Soundblaster X-Fi Card and output directly to my 5.1 speaker system.

Since I have not purchased a 5.1 Receiver and Speaker System my poor old Cambridge Soundworks setup will have to suffice for awhile longer.

I also prefer the headphone option late at night so as not to disturb my roomates ;)

I did this when I played The Witcher 2. It is very nice to be able to lounge on the couch; however, it is a pain to drag your stuff back and forth, adjust the colors/brightness on your tv and also get your resolution spread out over your large tv size rather than your monitor size thus making the clarity less.

Then you're doing it wrong. All monitors connected can run their own maximum resolutions. Possibly not if you're just cloning the screen. Use your TV as a primary screen and any PC-monitor as extended desktop, if you want to have both connected at the same time that is. Cloning is just stupid.

But of course, if you have a large HD TV then even 1080p will still look pretty s*** compared to a small PC monitor with the same resolution, for obvious reasons ;) If that's what you meant.

I've used both my TV and projector to the PC without any problems. I have a set of wireless keyboard and mouse to use on a small bench in my knee when I'm in my sofa :D Or you could just connect a controller as well. Used to play Unreal Tournament 2003 through s-video on my old CRT-TV back in the days ;D And of course I had to watch the first Skyrim Trailer on the projector earlier this year, but then it was connected to the laptop instead.

But of course, if you have a large HD TV then even 1080p will still look pretty s*** compared to a small PC monitor with the same resolution, for obvious reasons ;) If that's what you meant.

Sir, that is what I meantm sir. Yeah, it's still 1920 x 1080 but now that resolution is spread over my 46" rather than my 22" thus giving an appearance of lower resolution. I surely cannot sacrifice clean, crisp edges for being nice and comfy on the couch.

Before doing this it's worth checking that the TV has a way of disabling overscan, the option may actually just be called overscan on/off but it's also known as PC Mode or Game Mode. Some will disable overscan automatically. This is really only an issue for a small number of sets, usually the cheap and nasty ones. This explains what overscan is, if you can't disable it you're forced to set a non native resolution to get access to the toolbar. http://hd.engadget.com/2010/05/27/hd-101-overscan-and-why-all-tvs-do-it/