Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

I'm also having this, for the first time ever, after coming back to Skyrim. I've been playing the game on this same laptop since release, and at times much more heavily loaded down with mods than it is now. I've had CTDs before; they're nothing new, but this is altogether different.

In my case, though, the crash is always caused by one specific thing: pressing "Continue" on the main menu instead of manually loading a game.

My crashing is also much worse: I don't crash to desktop, BSOD, or anything of that note. My laptop instead instantly shuts off, do not pass go, do not collect $200, etc. I've basically trained myself never to use the "Continue" option because I rather don't fancy having to buy a new hard drive thanks to Skyrim insta-killing everything.

Edited by Draken Nidhogg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting this problem too, usually after around half an hour of playing. The game randomly just explodes - nothing works, not Ctrl+Alt+Del, not Alt+Tab, nothing. The only thing I can do is manually shut off the PC.

My computer exceeds the minimum running requirements for Skyrim by entire orders of magnitude (R9 270x GPU, 2GB VRAM, 8GB RAM, i5 4450 CPU). This never happened in New Vegas, either, which was much more heavily-modded than Skyrim.

Yet, for some reason, it constantly nukes my system. Now, I really don't feel like having to replace my hard drive because Skyrim had a hissy fit. So, does anyone know what's up?

• 1 month later...

Just chiming in here to say thanks to all! Thanks to the thread here I finally solved my Skyrim crashing problem. I'm running a EVGA 780 GTX Hydro Copper with an overclocked i7-2600K processor, ASUS Z68 MB. I tried factory clocks on the CPS, fresh Windows installs, updated the video driver, removed Geforce Experience, installed old video drivers, ran as administrator, ran in compatibility mode, reinstalled Skyrim with no mods, nothing. I was going crazy. I could play Crysis, benchmark, anything else and the system was rock solid but Skyrim would crash within a few minutes. I found the solution for me based on reading through the threads.

I found out it also had to do with the 2D mode/ 3D mode issue. I tried to fix it with Riva Tuner but was a little overwhelmed with all the options. So I went into the Nvidia settings, Manage 3D Settings - Global settings, and changed the following:

Power Management Mode: change from Adaptive to Prefer Maximum Performance

That's it! I'm not sure why it works but it did.

On a side note, League of Legends crashed multiple times too which was leading me to believe a hardware issue was to blame somehow. The above fix worked for League as well.

Thanks again!

Stickman64

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a similar issue as the others on this thread. Skyrim crashes my computer. But mine instantly powers off my Desktop. No certain action or time causes the issue. It just randomly powers off, then after a few seconds my computer powers on again. I also have some lagging issues when in dungeons, but not when out in Skyrim... (whether that helps diagnose anything or not).

My PSU was recently replaced through warranty claim, which fixed some computer instability I had before the replacement, but this issue is the only one to remain.

I've run sfc for corrupted files --> no corrupted files (I have complete reinstalled windows 8.1 twice trying to solve this issue)

I've completely removed and reinstalled graphics drivers --> no change

I've measured computer temps using multiple tools (i.e. speedfan, SPM etc.) --> I'm not overheating. I Stay under 35 dgrees Celsius.

Done cpu and ram stress and error checking (Prime95, MemTest86+ etc.) --> not a hiccup

So, any further help would be appreciated.

Link is to download a few Skyrim Logs for crashes and an SPM Log. I wasn't permitted to attach files here.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/btr6wwzlila5cdz/AADtA5UQ5E1GJfuPXQsbBvqla?dl=0

Build:

Intel i7-3770K (Intel HD4000 Graphics)

8GB DDR3 RAM

No Discreet Graphics Card

860Watt Corsait AX860i Platinum PSU

Edited by perfectlydiverse

• 4 months later...

It's 2015 now, and this problem is still happening.

Problem:

While playing Skyrim I randomly get a black screen. The sound goes out and a hard reset must be done. I have tried many of the fixes listed all over the internet and none have worked so far.

Build:

Intel i5-4690k

8GB DDR3 RAM

Nvidia GTX 980

700 watt PSU

Event logs:

I get one error when this happens saying that the previous shut off was unexpected. The time stamp is never recorded as the time when I shut the computer off e.g. I shut it off at 6:00 but it says 5:33. the recorded times can even be impossible ones such as when the computer is compltely shut off e.g. I turned it on at 5:50 and the time stamp reads that there was a shut off before this.

I'm banging my head. If anyone is still reading these posts please help.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Just chiming in here to say thanks to all! Thanks to the thread here I finally solved my Skyrim crashing problem. I'm running a EVGA 780 GTX Hydro Copper with an overclocked i7-2600K processor, ASUS Z68 MB. I tried factory clocks on the CPS, fresh Windows installs, updated the video driver, removed Geforce Experience, installed old video drivers, ran as administrator, ran in compatibility mode, reinstalled Skyrim with no mods, nothing. I was going crazy. I could play Crysis, benchmark, anything else and the system was rock solid but Skyrim would crash within a few minutes. I found the solution for me based on reading through the threads.

I found out it also had to do with the 2D mode/ 3D mode issue. I tried to fix it with Riva Tuner but was a little overwhelmed with all the options. So I went into the Nvidia settings, Manage 3D Settings - Global settings, and changed the following:

Power Management Mode: change from Adaptive to Prefer Maximum Performance

That's it! I'm not sure why it works but it did.

On a side note, League of Legends crashed multiple times too which was leading me to believe a hardware issue was to blame somehow. The above fix worked for League as well.

Thanks again!

Stickman64

What would the AMD Catalyst Control Center equivalent to this setting be? On the times that I was able to exit the game before the game crashes my system and I had gpu-z on, I've noticed that my R9-280x downclocks from the factory OC of 1100 MHz drops to 300 MHz and around the times the screen start flickering. I've also had this happen on Borderlands 2. In many cases with both games, I would have to underclock the GPU to 900 MHz and I would be able to get half an hour or even more(more often 2 hours,) but I am wondering if there is a setting like that in CCC.

This happened to me a few times in terms of a black screen and the computer appears unresponsive. Even when I alt-ctl-del it can't bring up the task manager. What I did was hit reboot and for a second the game disappears and the computer starts rebooting. if I hit alt-ctrl-del at that point I can cancel the Windows reboot. It's annoying but it saves a computer reboot.

This only works when the game crashes but the computer is more or less stuck at 100% disk use.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

so i am having the same problem, i can't get past the Bethseda logo when i start it either from steam or desktop. i do have mods installed but i deleted climates of Tamriel and the resulting patches for it. i did set it to medium or low but i did start it up before on ultra. it stinks that they haven't resolved this considering it's been nearly 5 years since it's release.