Skyrim.ini or SkyrimPrefs.ini ?? Confused.

wolfsangeleyes

Update...it's working!:dance:

Thanks a LOT for figuring this out! This raises the question what the ini in steam/steamapps/common/skyrim/skyrim is for doesn't it? Anyway, glad things start making more sense now.

Only one thing I still don't get: I added a custom FOV value under [Display] in the ini (in both ini's, because I didn't know which one to edit). For this I used fDefaultWorldFOV=95, after first trying fdefaultfov=95 but someone said this was the wrong key. But both these don't seem to do anything... What did work was using the ingame console. You type fov 95 in the console and done! Supposedly this value then stays put, even after quitting and restarting the game. Now, the strange thing is, sometimes this indeed works, but also sometimes I'll restart the game and find myself back on the default fov.

So where is the fov really stored? And how can I permanently reset it to a custom value? Does anyone know?

Edited by Wisp1979

Hi Whisp.

I think the reason for that may be because you added the line in the wrong section. From what i've read it should go under 'general'.

I found and copy/paste the following:

How To Tweak FOV

Open SkyrimPrefs.ini with a text editor and add fdefaultfov=XX at the bottom under [General]. Replace XX with your desired FOV.

Source: Segment Next..gamer's resource.

Change field of view

Head to My Documents, select My Games, select Skyrim and then Skyrim again, then create a backup of the skyrim.ini file. Scroll down to [General] in the file and add fdefaultfov=XX (where XX is the field of view you want). Then save and exit.

Source: PC Gamer

How do I change the FOV?

1.Go to your My Documents -> My Games -> Skyrim -> skyrim

2.Create a backup of the skyrim.ini file

3.Open the file, then scroll down to where it says [General]

4.At the bottom of this section, add fdefaultfov=XX (where XX is the FOV value you want to change to)

5.Save, exit, and play

Source: (Skyrim.reddit) Borrowed from "Dead man posting" on the Something awful forums, All credit goes to him. Reposted here for Reddits pleasure

They also added this as an addendum:

EDIT: After much discussion in the thread, it would appear the above FOV command does not stick, and will revert to 70 on Fast-Travel. Try the console command "Fov xx" (~ for console, xx for an fov number)

As you see, there are two versions :whistling: ...either the changes are made in the Skyrim.ini or the SkyrimPrefs.ini folder. At leatst we know it is done under My Documents/My Games/Skyrim.:rolleyes:

I also read (can't remember where) that after you use the console command you have to save the game, exit and then restart. Apparently that makes it permanent.

Let us know if any this solved the issue for you.:thumbsup:

Edited by wolfsangeleyes

I did change the .ini after making copies of the original, saved, and then altered the original one so the "gamepad" isn't turned on at all. I don't know why they insist on setting the gamepad to "on" when most PC gamer's don't use a gamepad. I found two switches for that and turned them both to, "0".

[MAIN]

bGamepadEnable=1

[Controls]

bGamePadRumble=1

I just found another one that should not effect game play but I am going to turn it off anyway as soon as I test the setting set to 0.0000

It's in:

[Controls]

fGamepadHeadingSensitivity=1.0000

At first I had the FOV tweaks under [General] but then I read this thread here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615805-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/61004479

So I put the tweaks under [Display] in My Documents/My Games/Skyrim/Skyrim.ini and now it actually seems to work...

Edited by Wisp1979

Sorry for not replying sooner. If you download the latest nvidia drivers, they should give you a control panel with options like adjusting video settings.

Of course, but that has nothing to do with the mouse & fov tweaks... Also, if you REALLY want to adjust the video settings, use nvidia Inspector (let's you turn on ambient occlusion). Read how in step 3 of this guide: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=11

EDIT: Also, this topic isn't about how to adjust video settings, it's about the confusion that arises from all the different info about ini tweaking: which files to tweak, which code to use, where in the file to place the tweaks etc.

Edited by Wisp1979

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

http://www.creationkit.com/INI_files

Automatically Created

Templates steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\low.ini

steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\medium.ini

steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\high.ini

steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\VeryHigh.ini

steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Skyrim_default.ini

Used by the game My Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Skyrim.ini

My Documents\My Games\Skyrim\SkyrimPrefs.ini

Used by the editor steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\SkyrimEditor.ini

steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\SkyrimEditorPrefs.ini

User Defined

Changes to automatically created INI files are reverted by Steam when validating the local game cache. User defined INI files can be used to prevent this. Settings defined in a user defined INI file override settings in a regular INI file.

Used by the game My Documents\My Games\Skyrim\SkyrimCustom.ini overrides Skyrim.ini

Used by the editor steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\SkyrimEditorCustom.ini overrides SkyrimEditor.ini

Mod Defined

Mods can define INI files to override settings from Skyrim.ini. Mod defined INI files should have the same name as the plugin file and are only applied if the plugin is loaded by the game.

Mod defined INI files are automatically uploaded to Steam Workshop.

KISS - Keep it Standardly Simple - (keep it simple stupid)