Skyrim "Clean" Mod

GiovSalvatore

Clean mod?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like someone to make a "clean" mod?

My parents are kind of overprotective about things like this. These mods made the difference in whether I could play Oblivion. 4 of my friends also are in the same boat and use these mods.

I feel bad for anyone with overprotective parents/family. What the overprotective parents of the world need to learn is games like Skyrim are just games, hell, if i ever have kids, i will teach them this and let them play the kind of games i play now. BTW ill vote "yes" so someone makes a "clean mod" so you can enjoy Skyrim :P

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really appreciate rubbletrouble's and Sojan's no blood mods for Oblivion. My parents are kind of overprotective about things like this. These mods made the difference in whether I could play Oblivion. 4 of my friends also are in the same boat and use these mods.

We can't play Skyrim because of a similar situation. Therefore, we were wondering if you, the modders, would consider making a similar mod for Skyrim that removes the blood and gore as well as sexual content. We won't be able to play Skyrim until such a mod is released.

I am sure many others could benefit from this mod, whether young children are present when playing or to appease their parents.

No flames please, serious question. (We are 14 and 15 year olds by the way.)

What country do you live in? Skyrim has a 15 rating here in the UK.

Anyway, if I was in your situation I doubt my parents would have a clue what I was on about if I started talking about modding my game. :P

Heh it is funny to see glimpses into the thought processes of over protective parents. Playing skyrim without blood will obviously make the difference between a kid becoming the next mass murder suicide in a school or becoming the next nobel laureate.. or the more likely situation no matter how you play the game is that the kid will end up being an average human being with friends and family and ultimately being known for nothing grand.

Should be easy to do, just get a bsa extractor and search for blood textures. The find some entirely transparent textures to replace the blood with and put them in the right directory path from data to have them load instead of the ones in the bsa file.

Edited by Sagenth

I'm embarrassed to say I voted before I realized this meant "G-Rated" rather than "Less Dirt in the textures". I'll leave my vote up, though, because, while I personally don't need such a mod, I strongly believe it should be the people's choice to use one as they see fit. I do question how it could be done, seeing as how the bulk of the game involves gathering bigger and stronger weapons for the express purpose of turning baddies like zombies, dragons, and barbarians of various stripes into DEAD zombies, dragons, and barbarians. Never mind the Necromancers, Thieves, and Assassin classes and quests. It's going to take a lot to turn all that into "cartoon mischief".

It'd probably be easier to scrap everything but the game engine and build a whole new game from scratch. I'd love to be proved wrong, though, and would probably play that new version.

It depends on what parents consider unsuitable. If it's just sex and violence then Skyrim can be fine once you get rid of the blood. But to be honest there is more than just bloodshed involved.

There are some quests that may contain disturbing elements for some parents but I doubt they would be disturbing to a teenager who watches movies like Saw (just an example).

Then again if the parents in question are "overprotective" they may object to other elements such as vampirism, cannibalism, dark rituals, murder and assassination. All of which are present at one point or another in Skyrim.

By the way there are some modders who are already trying to make the game "cleaner" so it may be a good idea to contact them -for instance there is a new mod that removes the skull from the Arcane Enchanter. You may want to check it out.

• 3 weeks later...

There are several mods out already that remove blood. Removing swearing would be extremely difficult- you would have to edit all the sound files in the game. Skyrim doesn't have much swearing though, which is good in my mind.

So far, the only sexual stuff I've noticed is when you loot bodies. Clips of girls in bikinis on Fox News are more suggestive than that.

The one thing to look out for is the finishing moves. Some would find those violent. Personally, I think its no more violent than a PG13 movie (Lord of the Rings, for instance). The one I don't like is the decapitation one. So far as I know, that only comes up if you choose a particular perk. Don't pick the perk, and don't worry about it.

bDisableAllGore=1 is an .ini tweak that someone mentioned. This is the biggest reason why I'm posting here despite the thread being a few weeks old. Don't be fooled by the "all gore" part- it simply removes blood. It does nothing to the decapitation move, and nothing to the random bodies and body parts you find occasionally around the game. Fortunately, the random bodies are fewer and less gory than what was found in Fallout 3, but there are still some around.

Edited by MXan

Let me start by saying I don't honestly care what another person wants in their single-player game, but what you're asking for is for someone to essentially un-make Skyrim for the sake of censorship.

If you're in the US, you'll find more gore, sexual content and touchy subject matters on almost any basic cable television program (The Walking Dead, Jersey Shore, 3 1/2 Men; the list goes on and on). Secondly, you're 14 and 15 year-olds? Come on... When I was your age, (can't believe I just said that) Mortal Kombat was out (which is probably why we have these "common sense" laws now), and THAT game had easily ten times the gore factor of Skyrim and less filler in between the times that gore was shown.

You're 15, and if you've got the aptitude to come online to request fron total strangers to make a game more "PG-13" to satiate your parents' overprotectiveness, you're old enough to know right from wrong, fiction from reality. Unless you had a problem harming small animals then I'd say you're old enough to play Skyrim, un-edited; although without certain mods that are "adults only" content, anyway.

Add to that what's already been said about cutting out 100% of the more "mature" and touchy content (cannibalism, vampire/werewolf feeding, essentially doing the "devil's dirty work" with the Daedric quests, et cetera), that would take countless hours of work & multiple viewpoints of what's appropriate & what's not to certain people. Some might find cannibalism repulsive but in the same breath vampires & werewolves are okay (I blame Twilight :P ), even though both feed off of humans. Others might find the whole Daedric quests a little touchy, the fact that you're stealing in the thieve's guild; murdering people in the dark brotherhood, the fact that there's a statistic that keeps tabs on how many bunnies you've "slaughtered." Where does the censorship end, exactly?

Do either of your parents play video games? If not I'd say you're probably not gonna play Skyrim until you're 21, living in your own apartment and the graphics are crappy in comparison to what's out at that time. Trust me, I know from experience. You can always try to reason with them; show them that you're mature enough to play the game without having nightmares or thinking evil thoughts, reason with them that the game's "violent content" is like any other source of entertainment that's out there... Unless saying that would have them permanently deny you ANY form of genuine entertainment... If that's the case, enjoy watching Teletubbies until you're 18.

Seriously though, not flaming you for wanting to play the game; I'm on your side. I just don't think it's right to be that overprotective at your age with certain games without actually playing/reviewing the game firsthand. Would I let my 8 year-old sister play Skyrim? Probably not right now, but I would play it in front of her because I can guide my character to where things aren't so "scary" for her (doesn't like the dark caves, werewolves or zombies, lol's when a thief tries to rob me by the roadside and gets scorched). But I'll let her play Fable 3 (monitored), Guild Wars (solo/monitored group), or Neverwinter Nights 2 if she wanted to play a "fantasy" setting game, until she got older because I've played those games and know their content. Furthermore, she's known the difference between reality & fiction since she was 5, so there's no need to worry if she'll try to imitate what was done on a game IRL.

So... what you are saying is your idea of basic morality is different from someone else's idea. Is that a bad thing?

Take the US versus Europe. Nudity to many Europeans is much lower on the 'immorality' scale than violence. In the USA, violence is much more socially acceptable than nudity. Different opinions do not mean one opinion is better than another.

Studies have shown that those exposed to violence are more likely to engage in violence. Rail against it all you want, the studies support it. Likewise, those who grow up with musical parents are more likely to play musical instruments. Its basic environmental training. To say otherwise is to argue that we are all born a certain way, and culture, environment, language, family life, etc. have no impact on who we are.

Now, everyone has different ideas on how much of something it takes to leave an impression. How much it takes also varies from person to person; some people don't need to be exposed to any violence to become violent themselves, while others would probably never be violent, even if you threw them into any situation for any duration of time. Who's to say the parent is right, or the parent is wrong? I agree, some are overprotective. Others don't protect enough. Beyond even this concept, some of us (myself included) don't like these things. Age and maturity have yet to make me enjoy gratuitous gore, irregardless of whether seeing it will change me or not. I simply don't like it, and enjoy playing games more when it is absent or lessened.

If the OP's parents don't like the violence in video games, they probably don't like the violence in many movies and TV programs, and probably restrict what their kids see there as well. Additionally, the OP didn't ask for the removal of game concepts (like werewolves, vampirism, cannibalism, theft, etc). He asked for blood, gore, and sexual content. Those are all possible to remove, without changing anything except the feel of the game. To say its impossible to remove all potentially offensive content from Skyrim is correct, but irrelevant to the matter at hand. And trust me, without the gore, Skyrim is still a very awesome game. You may prefer to have it included, and that's fine with me, but removing it does not break the game.