Changing your wife's outfit

AdicusDio

I was just wondering if anyone has changed their wife's outfit yet? I have Ysloda from Whiterun. I can't stand that bluejean dress from 1986 that she's wearing. I'd like to change it to say the tavern dress. What's the easiest way to change? Her outfit just says "Clothes" Would it be easiest to extract the Tavern outfit, make a copy, then rename to the female "Clothes" file and be done with it? I tried console commands, I tried pickpocket and giving her the tavern outfit, etc. I don't have the pickpocket equipped items perk yet, would that help?

*Edit* This is not 100 percent effective as they tend to try to revert to their old gear regardless.

Console commands should do it. Open console, click on your spouse, "showinventory" should bring up her inventory. Find the id number of the item that you want to remove and use the "removeitem(space)item id#(space)1".

You will need the item number of the item that you want to give her, use the "equipitem(space)item id#(space)1" command to give her the new clothing.

Edited by Jupitus

I was just wondering if anyone has changed their wife's outfit yet? I have Ysloda from Whiterun. I can't stand that bluejean dress from 1986 that she's wearing. I'd like to change it to say the tavern dress. What's the easiest way to change? Her outfit just says "Clothes" Would it be easiest to extract the Tavern outfit, make a copy, then rename to the female "Clothes" file and be done with it? I tried console commands, I tried pickpocket and giving her the tavern outfit, etc. I don't have the pickpocket equipped items perk yet, would that help?

Without the perk, you could enchant the clothes and reverse pickpocket them. I think she would then wear them as they would be considered superior to her current clothing.

(but Jupitus' console solution is easiest)

Edited by mallard7

From what I have read they have a habit of reverting back to their own gear if done the reverse pickpocket route, I havent tried it myself. I stumbled across a woman in Markarth wearing "tavern clothes" a bit of a ragged looking dress not sure if that is what you are after OP, the id# is 000d191f.

if you're using console, it's best to use the command "showinventory" after clicking the npc and then removing the clothing completely (also through console) before equipping new threads. Otherwise the clothing seems to come back.

if you can't see the full inventory due to the limitation of the console box size, pickpocket all the extraneous items first and then use "showinventory" and then remove the horrid clothing.

ALSO unrelated, but is there a way to scoll within the console text box?

I think we may have to wait for the Construction Set (Creation Kit as they call it now) before we can change our wives/husbands default clothing... Too bad really, I married a miner.... who now wanders my mansion in dirty miner clothes all day. :P

Yeah, so using the equipitem command doesn't work. For a bit she will wear whatever was equipped but after spending some time away, she prances around in her underwear.

You are right, I ran into the same thing using it on Lydia, need the CK it would seem.

Yeah, so using the equipitem command doesn't work. For a bit she will wear whatever was equipped but after spending some time away, she prances around in her underwear.

And your problem is ...............??