No Problem

DragonBorn112

OP: Well I'm happy for you and your trouble-free experience.

One way of expressing your joy without causing any controversy would be to refrain from making any comments about people who are having problems (you've probably heard of the expression: Blame the Victim). There are lots of reasons people complain about TES games and/or Steam and many of them are out of the control of the user (hey, how about Skryim not being playable at launch - 11/11/11 - if the PC sound quality was higher than 16-bit, 44100 Hz? Who knew?).

You don't mention your rig specs or your Skryim settings, so I'll assume that you have an average computer (or a console) with settings on or below High, no mods added and have never even looked at the .ini files. That helps a lot to minimize problems. Also, if you have no expectations (e.g. you never played Oblivion) then you won't be disappointed.

I complain because I care...

140 hours. Numerous mods. No crashes. No halting, no freezing. Very little stutter.

The key?

Knowing your mod list. Know what each mod does, what it changes and how it affects your game. Then, avoid loading two mods which change the same things, unless you understand and want the overwrite one will make of the other. For instance, I play a magic overhaul (testing it) which dramatically slows magic regen. My girl hates this, so I made an esp to set magic regen higher. She loads this after my main overhaul for magic, and gets the beneifts of both. A positive mod conflict.

Knowing your load order and eliminating mods which conflict helps to reduce crashes or even to play crash free, as I do.

You know, now I think on it, I have never experienced a single bug in a Bethesda game. And hell for kicks, I will even include New Vegas. Well, not on PC, I have not. On PS3, Fallout 3 would freeze when I tried to barter with the girl in Megaton.

On PC, though? Never a single bug. Crashed due to mods? Aye, those I saw in Oblivion. But game bugs? Nope. Never.

Got to agree with the posts here. Not sure how many hours in the game I have, but its quite a few, and its been pretty problem free and any time I did have a problem it was mod related or caused by something outside of the game - I got hit with the pixel problem on updating my video driver - but that was an easy fix.

I'd never used Steam before either and I'm pretty convinced I must have a "special" version because it has never caused me a problem, never updated unless I selected the update and allowed it. Lots of info on the updates and it was easy to delay updating until utilities like SKSE were updated too. I did try a couple of mods from Steam, but didn't like them much but didn't have any problem stopping them, so even Steam hasn't caused me any real issues.

I probably played Skyrim like most people. The first play was a WBTM, do the quest - fast travel and not much else. On the second play I ran into trouble at about level 35 with a couple of mods I'd loaded and an ini file that had been changed and once I got it fixed, decided to start a third play through with a new character. That was in mid February and have been on the same play since, but this time I'm walking and talking and looking and I am astonished at the amount of things I have found and the things to do in the game without mods, and it seems I find something new/different all the time. I think this will be another game I can likely play for 4-5 years, just like Oblivion, once the quest and adventure modders hit their stride.

Actually, for the $20.00 dollars it cost, its been a pretty good game, been really entertaining and I'm glad I bought it.

Lets just say that I'd be a liar if I said I never had a problem with Skyrim - even completely vanilla and unmodded. Not sure how anyone can claim that and keep a straight face - especially if they have logged 200+ hours of gaming in Skyrim.

Yes, it's not as bad as some claim - that I'll agree with wholeheartedly.

I'd say that about 80% of the problems I've had with the game have been my fault - and I haven't had a lot of problems to begin with. Still, when I load a spanking new install, start a game and get to Riverwood and find Faendal lying dead in the center of town - I'm not gonna simply ignore that and say thats not a problem.

Guess I really am fortunate. 140 hours of play time and zero problems....ok, one problem, I did forget.

That damned Deer. The one on the North side of Riverwood. I shot it once, with a bow. Killed it.

And the entire town attacked me.

I have a suspicion, which I have not bothered to confirm yet, that at one point or another they wanted a deer to spawn close to riverwood that was part of the town faction. So you could see on up close early in the game, but NPC's would leave it be. And by shooting it, I was 'attacking the town faction' as the Guards saw it (this was post-guards in Riverwood.)

Other than that issue, though...nothing at all. Especially not crashes.

• 4 months later...