Dark Souls Review/News

Rennn

It also included a moonlight blade. I guess FROM likes easter eggs, lol.

Pretty much all of FROMs games include a "Moonlight" weapon. and its usually the most or one of the most powerful weapons in the game.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like the Moonlight blade in their armored core games. It was a laser blade there. Obviously, both Dark Souls and Demon's Souls have moonlight swords.

Like the Moonlight blade in their armored core games. It was a laser blade there. Obviously, both Dark Souls and Demon's Souls have moonlight swords.

The AC games where what i was thinking of when i said that....the only other FROM games ive played :P and only AC2 and AC3 at that.

On the topic of easter eggs, (small spoiler ahead) does anyone think the serpent soldiers in Dark Souls look a bit like the Widda? By "a bit" I mean "exactly". :laugh:

Can you sell weapons? It's a good game, I still don't understand a lot if it like humanity or the online stuff. Just killed the butterfly so that's how far I am. Also this isn't a pretty game and I think this is the worst running game on seem on the 360. It runs like crap. Fire is scary not because it hurts you but because the fps drop is huge.

Progression is slow haven't found a good place to grind. I'm a lvl 37 Warrior using a spear and shield 7 or 8 hours in

The "moonlight" weapons are a reference from an old snes game called King's Field. It was a first person RPG. And it wasn't released in America. The one for the PS1 which was labeled King's Field was actually King's Field II. I liked all the King's Field games, they were tough and didn't hold your hand, similar to dark/demons souls. They had lots of hidden doors/traps in walls, you could be searching for a hidden room with rewarding treasure, and instead a pocket opens up with a spear that 1hkos you. Go to open up a chest placed in an obvious location, then a skeleton pops out and 1hkos you. They just don't make games like that anymore. They managed to get the right mix of atmosphere, exploration and sense of danger around every corner which made the game fun. Edited by Beriallord

Can you sell weapons? It's a good game, I still don't understand a lot if it like humanity or the online stuff. Just killed the butterfly so that's how far I am. Also this isn't a pretty game and I think this is the worst running game on seem on the 360. It runs like crap. Fire is scary not because it hurts you but because the fps drop is huge.

Progression is slow haven't found a good place to grind. I'm a lvl 37 Warrior using a spear and shield 7 or 8 hours in

Of course it's the worst running game on the 360, that's like a 7 year old console, and it's ported from the PS3 version, so the 360 version gets compressed textures and no real antialiasing and still runs worse. The PS3 version slows down as well, but it's not as severe. I suspect that the PC version won't slow down at all for most people, considering the age of the consoles at this point.

It's not a game you can really grind at, that's the point. You advance through skill or you can't advance. The game lasts about 80 hours on the first playthrough, assuming you don't try to find most of the secret places and lore, which are just as well hidden as the game is difficult.

Edited by Rennn

You can't sell weapons.

Of course it's the worst running game on the 360, that's like a 7 year old console, and it's ported from the PS3 version, so the 360 version gets compressed textures and no real antialiasing and still runs worse. The PS3 version slows down as well, but it's not as severe. I suspect that the PC version won't slow down at all for most people, considering the age of the consoles at this point.

It's not a game you can really grind at, that's the point. You advance through skill or you can't advance. The game lasts about 80 hours on the first playthrough, assuming you don't try to find most of the secret places and lore, which are just as well hidden as the game is difficult.

um yes you can sell weapons. you just gotta ring the Two bells first for Frampt. most sell for like 100 souls, but a couple sell for like 5000. and most of the boss souls sell to him for more then you can consume them for. as well as the lowest soul (consume for 200 and sell to him for like 400 i think. idr).

and yes you can grind. the very first bonfire (after the firelink shrine) is a good place to grind early. then once you drop the ladder from the dragon, its a quick amount of souls if you run up and let the dragon burn the bridge. then Anor Londo with all the Silver Knights is where i grinded my first play through. and the most popular grinding spot, the Darkroot Garden. i forget how many souls you get, but its in the 5 digits.....and there is a walk through im currently watching on YT of a guy going through it. hes almost at 500 deaths nd like 300+ hours. he sucks as it. and the only reason hes finaly at Gwyn is because hes grinded soo much and is like 20 levels above the norm and using Magic, which is OP for PvE. so yes, grinding can cause the game to be much easier.

80 hours!!! Pff I thought I'd be able to pass it before I have to return it. I'll just wait for the pc version I don't know where to go now anyways.

ha yea, 80 hours for a first play through is actually pretty good. i think mine was just over 100. granted i did leave the game running at times. however, consecutive play throughs take an enormous amount of time less. idk how fast i can beat Dark Souls, as ive never really tried. Demons Souls however, i can now beat in roughly 7-8 hours. but ive played through that like 50+ times as opposed to my 4 (i think, not counting the couple of partials i have) play throughs of Dark Souls. just enough to platinum it. and Darks Soul's world is slightly bigger. plus all the running around you gotta do to get anywhere, where as in Demons Souls you can just warp to the place you need to be. so Dark Souls naturally takes a bit longer then Demons Souls

Edited by hoofhearted4

You can't sell weapons.

um yes you can sell weapons. you just gotta ring the Two bells first for Frampt. most sell for like 100 souls, but a couple sell for like 5000. and most of the boss souls sell to him for more then you can consume them for. as well as the lowest soul (consume for 200 and sell to him for like 400 i think. idr).

and yes you can grind. the very first bonfire (after the firelink shrine) is a good place to grind early. then once you drop the ladder from the dragon, its a quick amount of souls if you run up and let the dragon burn the bridge. then Anor Londo with all the Silver Knights is where i grinded my first play through. and the most popular grinding spot, the Darkroot Garden. i forget how many souls you get, but its in the 5 digits.....and there is a walk through im currently watching on YT of a guy going through it. hes almost at 500 deaths nd like 300+ hours. he sucks as it. and the only reason hes finaly at Gwyn is because hes grinded soo much and is like 20 levels above the norm and using Magic, which is OP for PvE. so yes, grinding can cause the game to be much easier.

80 hours!!! Pff I thought I'd be able to pass it before I have to return it. I'll just wait for the pc version I don't know where to go now anyways.

ha yea, 80 hours for a first play through is actually pretty good. i think mine was just over 100. granted i did leave the game running at times. however, consecutive play throughs take an enormous amount of time less. idk how fast i can beat Dark Souls, as ive never really tried. Demons Souls however, i can now beat in roughly 7-8 hours. but ive played through that like 50+ times as opposed to my 4 (i think, not counting the couple of partials i have) play throughs of Dark Souls. just enough to platinum it. and Darks Soul's world is slightly bigger. plus all the running around you gotta do to get anywhere, where as in Demons Souls you can just warp to the place you need to be. so Dark Souls naturally takes a bit longer then Demons Souls

Ah... I never found out how to sell weapons. I decided to wait for the PC version before trying to find everything, and that must have been one of the things I missed. I assumed it was like in DS.

The few areas where you can grind though, you end up outlevelling pretty fast. Even in Demon's Souls, it didn't work for long to farm all the storm beasts in the Storm King Boss zone. At low levels you could get like 20k souls per run, but within a couple hours of gameplay you end up needing to grind again and hitting a wall when you can't find a new place. That's why I said you 'can't' grind, though it's not totally accurate. You can grind a bit, but even grinding is dangerous and it only helps up to a certain point. No amount of grinding will help someone who can't play the game anyway, so skill is definitely a key factor in progressing. One of the nice things about the Souls games is that if you're experienced you can level up very fast, and advance on skill to areas where you can level up even faster. It helps alleviate the 'just one more level' headache that you find in most rpgs, because you know that if you can just reach the next area you could discover something amazing and/or powerful and jump forward several levels very quickly.

I've heard some people say they spent 140 hours on a single playthrough. Even then it's impossible to see everything in that time, because joining certain factions and doing certain things will change what's possible in a single playthrough. If it's anything like KF4, people will be discovering new things years from now and trading maps on fansites, lol.

Edited by Rennn