Dark Souls Review/News

Rennn

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That wolf in the upper picture is so fluffy! :ohdear:

Will I have to kill it? I don't want to kill fluffy things D:

Some people will insist that you do have to kill it, but others will say they avoided it. Apparently, when you do enough damage to Sif (the wolf), his health hangs up with a tiny sliver left on your last hit, forcing you to hit him again, even if you should have done enough damage to kill him in one more hit. I don't know if he's actually one of the optional bosses.

Edited by Aegrus

also i said dark wasnt as good looking as other AAA titles. its OK compared to other console games. dark souls was the first console game i played in about 1 and half years so my PC gaming spoiled me graphics wise which is prply why i thought it looked bad. most important and your screenshots dont show is how bad the game runs with those "great console looking" water and fire effects. thats my main problem and pretty much the only one i had with the game during my time with it on a 360.

also i said dark wasnt as good looking as other AAA titles. its OK compared to other console games. dark souls was the first console game i played in about 1 and half years so my PC gaming spoiled me graphics wise which is prply why i thought it looked bad. most important and your screenshots dont show is how bad the game runs with those "great console looking" water and fire effects. thats my main problem and pretty much the only one i had with the game during my time with it on a 360.

I'm not trying to say that Dark Souls has the best graphics or anything, or that it runs better than Uncharted. It definitely doesn't look as good as most pc rpgs. My point was just that, since the graphics are good for a console game, and since it's open world without load times, I don't think that bad coding is the reason it runs so badly. I attribute that to the consoles being outdated, and them being especially bad at running open world games. If the coding isn't bad, then there shouldn't be any reason why the game can't run well on pcs. Really looking forward to that stable 30- it'll be a huge improvement.

Of course, Dark Souls runs worse and looks worse on the 360. So far, I've been referring to the ps3 version, which is the version that I've played. I agree that the 360 version looks pretty awful with its downscaled. . . everything, and stutters horribly, given the lack of cpu cores for which Dark Souls was built.

Edited by Aegrus

best console game graphically? MGS4. if you consider that it was one of the first games on the PS3, thats even more impressive. (Resistance 2 also had some very very striking scenery, but the overall graphics werent anywhere near as amazing as MGS4)

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition is selling well already! It's in the list of Steam's top-selling games, and it isn't even available for download yet- just pre-order. Come to think of it, I may just pre-order it in a few minutes. Edited by Aegrus

best console game graphically? MGS4. if you consider that it was one of the first games on the PS3, thats even more impressive. (Resistance 2 also had some very very striking scenery, but the overall graphics werent anywhere near as amazing as MGS4)

I never played it, but I remember thinking that MGS4 graphics were mind-blowing when I first saw them.

I agree with the comment on Resistance 2; parts of it, especially the Chimeran architecture and the character models looked very good, but some places (Bryce Canyon) looked so bad it was like they were from a whole different game.

It's difficult to rate a game's graphics objectively because parts of them can be so different.

On another topic, I was going to buy a better graphics card. Looking at the upcoming games though, I don't think I'd really play them as much as older ones like The Killing Floor or Oblivion, or otherwise lower-spec ones like Dark Souls and Borderlands. I'll probably just replace my 1440x900 vga monitor. It was a good deal, but given the price I shouldn't have expected much. I have minor banding across the screen, very subtle blur, a merely average contrast ratio, and sometimes it freaks out and throws up noise on the screen for a few seconds. If I get a good 1080p monitor with a good contrast ratio and a good response time that should enhance all my games, even the old ones, for way less than the cost of a 680. That, and I'd like to play Dark Souls on as high of a quality as possible and its maxed resolution is 1080p. I'd also be able to use a monitor like that for my PS3, seeing as it would have an hdmi port. There aren't a lot of games I still want to play on it, but a few like Killzone 3 don't have PC versions, and I don't want to buy the PC version of Sacred 2 because it could break my PhysX drivers. Idk if I'll actually play any PS3 games again, but the option would be there at least. I'd have leftover money then to upgrade my RAM as well... I think I just talked myself into it, I'll order a new monitor tomorrow.

It's not as if I'm going to have much time to play anything anyway though, with 12 hour shifts 7 days a week. Even my mods are all on hold. Conveniently, Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition releases exactly one day before I quit this job for college, two weeks before classes start. That's going to be 2 weeks of solid Dark Souls on a new monitor.

Edited by Rennn

I constructed new box art for Dark Souls, as I wanted to get rid of the lore-breaking esrb rating, GFWL banner, and that other stuff. It's not a remake of the original Prepare to Die Edition box art; it's based around a desktop wallpaper for Dark Souls, and on the back there's the poem/phrase that you hear at the beginning of the game. It's about 6.5mb, so I can't post it in the thread directly, but here's a link to the deviantart page.

Dark Souls PC Box Art

Edited by Rennn