Dwemer Auto-Crossbow and crossbow with bayonets!

hltvpro

Now that Bethesda GENEROUSLY added TWO crossbows in the new DLC, I just can't wait to see some mods to improve them.

The Dwemer is a race that have mastered engineering, they have created steampunk automatons...are they not capable of making repeating crossbows? The "true" repeating crossbow will be powered by a grand soul gem, fed from bolt clips, belt, box or even drum magazines;

we can also add an lever-action version, which still sports a higher rate of fire.

concept art (not my picture)

http://www.milesteves.com/gallery/d/2349-2/Repeating+Crossbow_001.jpg

Skyrim bows have a bash function that is mainly used to stagger opponents, because bows are unwieldy as melee weapons....but that WAS the case with bows; with a solid framed crossbow, we can add spikes, daggers and axe blades as bayonets, hell, even chainsaws like "Dwemer Autoblade" from the mod with the same name. This probably won't make crossbows superior melee weapons, but it will sure leave more than just a bruise when you bash your foe.

again, not my picture

http://images.wikia.com/deadliestfiction/images/b/b7/Crossbowknifehybrid.jpg

Diablo fans, remember Buriza?

http://blog-imgs-54.fc2.com/g/a/l/galvez/diablo3-buriza-do-kyanon02.jpg

There is actually a repeating crossbow IRL, it involves the new bolts dropping into the firing slot from a box attached to the top.

You mind posting the link of that mod so we can all enjoy it :D

In real life.. :P i dont think he ment there's a mod of it ;)

I also believe he was talking about this thing: http://www.atarn.org/chinese/Image34.gif http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/vg/image/1342/09/1342098716092.jpg

Edited by Urwy

To be fair, though, the Dwemer never invented crossbows for human use.

Yet, majority of the races in TES are Mer. I.E. Elves. Just as Dwemer. They are no different than the rest, exept less magic based, and more technology bases, and they lived underground.

So the crossbow schematics were made for them to use, which means anybody could use it. As long as they could figure out the mechanism of it.

And to the OP:

This request comes up a lot, and by all means, the models are simple to make. However, they require new animations and some good scripting to run with. That is quite a lot of work and debugging.

Scripting the crossbow itself will be rather easy, but tweaking the animation of the player, remove clipping and get it all to run with scripts, is a lot of work.

I suppose you can get around the clipping problems involved, if the ammo was stored in a cylinder held on the back, connected to the mechanism by a rigid belt. That wouldn't require much mesh work.

I suppose you can get around the clipping problems involved, if the ammo was stored in a cylinder held on the back, connected to the mechanism by a rigid belt. That wouldn't require much mesh work.

True, true. However, if one actually got the required scripter, modeller and animator to do this, there would be more than 1 variation. I know for my own part that if I had a team with a concept artist, a scripter, an animator and a quest maker, I'd make multiple variations of it. In the end it could cause some problems. It would require animation tweaking, which in turn could make it a problematic mod to work with others.

Generally just a big mess. A possible mess -- but still a mess.

Thanks for all the replies.

To be fair, though, the Dwemer never invented crossbows for human use.

The Dwemer one we get is made by that one chick we recruit into the Dawnguard.

Her name escapes me.

I did not dig too deep into the lore but my impression was that the Dwemer automaton "centurion sphere" was armed with a retractable blade in one arm and a crossbow on the other. I don't exactly recall how the robots operated the crossbow, but they definitely can't draw it with other arm because it has a sword for a hand. Since the robots and their weapons were powered by soul gems, so it's a possibility that the "Dawnguard chick" improvised the repeating crossbow based on a robot weapon.

There is actually a repeating crossbow IRL, it involves the new bolts dropping into the firing slot from a box attached to the top.

Yessir. Chu Ko Nu, or 诸葛弩 in Chinese. I'm Chinese myself, not knowing that is a sin :D

But I would rather have a dwemer design because it's more lore friendly, unless somewhere in the lore there was a Akaviri repeating crossbow...

This request comes up a lot, and by all means, the models are simple to make. However, they require new animations and some good scripting to run with. That is quite a lot of work and debugging.

Scripting the crossbow itself will be rather easy, but tweaking the animation of the player, remove clipping and get it all to run with scripts, is a lot of work.

I don't know much about actual modding, but what if we just skip the entire reloading animation? Then a new bolt just appears on the rack right after you shoot the first one.

As for scripting, it may be needed if the clip or magazine has a capacity, but might not require any if the crossbow is belt-fed, meaning all the "belt linked bolts" (crafted) in your inventory would feed directly into the weapon, just like a quiver.

I'm not sure if that makes it any easier, or maybe we can just learn from "Dwemer Rifle" mod and use the staff animation and mechanism.