Black smoke coming for characters... groin?

cixwow

I have a save in Bits and Pieces in Solitude, when I leave my character has some kind of weird black smoke coming from just in front of him. I can see it in both first and third person.

This is an image showing the problem:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v127/cixwow/ScreenShot2.png

So far I have tried unequipping all items (all I could find about black smoke from Google was Ebony Mail or one of the sneak perks, neither of which I have), checking active effects, cleansing at a shrine and waiting 30+ days.

Anyone know how I can get rid of it/what's causing it?

Same issue for me !!! :-( check my post http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/849732-issue-with-black-smoke-coming-out-of-my-character-in-dawnguard-please-help/

I am using Dawnguard and I chose to become a vampire.

Once I completed The Bloodstone Chalice quest and get a chance to take one of the death hound CuSith as a follower, my character has been affected by some sort of black fog or aura similar to the one that affects the dogs themselves (or corrupted shade).

There is nothing that I can do to remove that aura other than the following:

- via console do a sexchange twice in 3rd person, the aura goes away but once I return to 1st person view I start "smoking" again (even when ridding horse).

- If I transform to a vampire lord then the aura goes away after the transformation but then comes back when changing form.

- That is true even if I drop all my items.

- The only way that I can get rid of that aura is to go back to a regular skyrim location, save then quit and deactivate dawnguard.esm, start the game and load the game, the black smoke/aura/fog is then gone.

- I have done some research online and saw other people having a similar issue but no resolution to date (many are listed here but I could not find mine: http://test.zhaoxinpeng.com/viewjy.php?id=48b37f8d49dfcc1a64648826 )

- If I reload a savegame before the choice to become vampire (first time entering Castle Volkihar) and then my character is fine again (so I guess the installation is not corrupted).

- No MODS are enabled at the moment other than healthfire.

Did you find a solution??

I posted a possible solution in this thread

Black aura around character

I personally have never had this particular issue but I have had the Draugr eyes effect stuck on my character and the principle has to be the same. You have to open the console, add the FX to your character, close console, remove the FX.

Open console

type player.addspell 00020028EB

Close console

Open console

type player.removespell 0002028EB

close console

The Form ID 0002028EB is what I turned up for the Death Hound Effect after loading Dawnguard.esm in the CK.

(Do not type the word type by the way...)

Give that a try.

Yes !!! Thank you very much !!

Would you believe me if I told that I just happened to found it myself tonight.

I just had a feeling to do look for the death hound talent

so by using the console I did

help hound 0 and found this death hound FX....indeed that's what it was!!! oh man!!!!

It turned out that by taking one of the Dawnguard Death Hound (dog) as follower (e.g. CuSith) you get "contaminated" with this Death Hound FX !! Must be a bug but I am sooo glad I found the fix!!!

Thanks a lot again and I hope this helps someone else too! that was so annoying!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm getting this issue too, and adding/removing the deathhound effect isn't working. My char never had a deathhound follower either (joined the Dawnguard faction). Console fixes like 'sexchange' and 'recycleactor' offer a temporary fix, but the effect is reapplied once you go back into first person.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by birchtree

• 2 months later...

I got this issue right after I murdered Alva in her house in Mortal. Upon exiting the house, the effect showed itself.

Using ginnyfiz's solution worked, even upon entering first person mode. Hope it stays that way (knock on wood). I also have a heavily modded Skyrim, with Dragonborn and Dawnguard, but have not started either. Also that Orc keeps showing up, the annoying ****.

Funny thing is, if the Alva thing isn't somehow bugged, Mortal got attacked by a master vampire and 2 death hounds right before I continued with the Alva quest line. I suppose I might've contracted the whatever cloud then.