How to change the camera zoom in/out for 3rd person

JeremeW5257

I want to view my character in 3rd person when in non-combat mode, but the camera is too close to my character's body. I want to view it farther from behind and a little higher. I know that you can adjust the Skyrim.ini settings under (camera), but I can't figure out the numbers to get it to zoom far back enough. I know about the TFC console command, but that's not what I'm talking about.

I've been experimenting with the [Camera] settings for about a week now, only I'm trying to tweak it a bit closer. This is what I've found so far.

fVanityModeMaxDist=600.0000

This is the default zoom out setting. Most examples I've seen range from 2000 to 6000. If you increase this value to any significant degree, it's recommended to lower fMouseWheelZoomIncrement=0.0750 for smoother scrolling. Alternate values I've seen are 0.01 or 0.025.

fOverShoulderPosZ=-10.0000

Zooming is centered on the crosshair. This is the default setting and places the cross hair at shoulder level. The max example value I've seen is 12.0000 which places the crosshair above the head. I'm currently evaluating a value of 3.0000 which places the crosshair level with the nose, more or less. Anything over 5.0000, things start looking a bit awkward imo.

Back up your skyrim.ini file. Make note of your saved game with default settings, you might need to go back to it. Don't make any plans to do any major quests for the time being.

I found that my edits don't take effect right away. A new save and reload seems to work. If the results are unsatisfactory, I find it simpler to just put back my original skyrim.ini, go back to the default saved game and start over.

I'll try the numbers that you mentioned, but ideally I want to zoom our just far enough to see my character's entire body on screen...not just the waist up. I don't play with a keyboard and mouse, I use the Xbox 360 controller, so I don't have the luxury of the mouse wheel zooming. I just want to have 2 views...one for 3rd person, and the standard first person one.

• 1 year later...

Guys I need your help. The [camera] section wasn't on my Skyrim.ini . I added the lines you recomended with the default values first. After I changed zoom in and out options, wheel zoom step and fov, saved and load the game. Don't see any diference. Is it possible that Skyrim is not reading the new lines?

I use skse but I dont think it matters right? Also, I had the inmersive first person view mod as the only mod that changes camera settings. I uninstalled it but had no effect at all.

Any advise? plase, I know this is supposed to be basic and that is why is driving my crazy not to get it working.