AOP's Dangerous File List

AngelOfPassion

AOP's Dangerous File List:

If there are newer versions than what is listed here I would suggest double checking the authors changelog to confirm they have addressed the bugs. Even then I would proceed at your own risk. This is a comprehensive list of files that are considered "gamebreaking" or dangerous to your save game file.

7K Better Whiterun - City Under Construction - BETA - versions 1.2b or earlier

CLARALUX - More and Brighter Lights - versions V3A, V4A - Special note: V2A reported as safe by majority of community.

Please do not PM/reply to this list with suggestions unless you have inspected the .esp/.esm yourself and have seen the conflicts. Even then I will consult with a few of my friends (mod authors) to confirm the conflicts if possible. Thank you.

Edited by AngelOfPassion

I created this list to go with my CTD guide. I needed a link to post in my CTD guide to bring users to this topic. Please do not reply if possible. Thanks.

Here is my CTD guide as reference as well:

Go through ALL the sections in this guide thoroughly. It is a great guide with info. pulled from multiple sources/mod authors. These are things I would put A LOT of time into:

Load order

You need to build a custom load order and make sure it stays in that order. Whenever you install/update a mod it switches up your load order which is REALLY BAD. Switched up loan orders lead to save game corruptions and more CTD's. Use NMM's plugins section to make sure they always stay in the same order and try to group mods together that do similar things. You can do more research on load order to know how to edit it. This will prevent save files from getting corrupted and reduce CTD's in gameplay.

Here is a good example of a healthy way to categorize your load order:

What I personally do, along with some others, and have been successful with so far (*fingers crossed*) is use a kindergarten approach to load order and try and "group" my mods. Meaning that similar mods are all going together. Essentially you could break my load order down into sections and sub-sections. As an example, here is cross-section of my current mod list:

ESM { 00 Skyrim.esm

ESM { 01 Update.esm

ESM { 02 ClimatesOfTamriel.esm

ESM { 03 ETaC RESOURCES.esm

ESM { 04 Omegared99-Compilation.esm

FIXES { 05 HighResTexturePackFix.esp

FIXES { 06 MiscFixRandomCrap.esp

FIXES { 07 Weapons and Armor fixes.esp

GAME STRUCTURE { 09 Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp

GAME STRUCTURE { 0A SkyUI.esp

CHAR { 0A New Eyes.esp

CHAR { 0E New Hair Styles.esp

LOCATION { 0F ETaC - Villlages Complete.esp

LOCATION { 00 ETaC - Morthal.esp

LOCATION { 00 ETaC Whatever Patches.esp

LOCATION { 10 Rayeks_End.esp

ADDS ITEMS { 11 Weapons and Armor.esp

ADDS ITEMS { 17 Hothtrooper44 Armor Compilation.esp

ADDS ITEMS { 1A Omegared99 Compilation.esp

ADDS ITEMS { 1B More Saddles.esp

ADDS ITEMS { 1C Sabre Fur Bag.esp

ADDS PEOPLE { 00 ETaC Follower.esp

TEXTURES { 1D Better Dynamic Snow.esp

TEXTURES { 1E Enhanced Blood Main.esp

TEXTURES { 1F StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp

ENVIRONMENT { 21 ClimatesOfTamriel-Du.esp

ENVIRONMENT { 22 ClimatesOfTamriel-Inter.esp

ENVIRONMENT { 23 MintyLightningMod.esp

ENVIRONMENT { 24 MintyLightningModCOTcompat.esp

ENVIRONMENT { 25 RealRainCoT.esp

GAMEPLAY { 28 UFO Ultimate Follower Overhaul.esp

GAMEPLAY { 29 Convient Horses.esp

GAMEPLAY { 30 ACE - A Whole Bunch Of.esp(s)

LASTLY { 44 Bashed Patch.esp

Removed Mods

"So, if you're getting CTDs ONLY when you near a certain place the culprit is typically a mod that was removed. Not one that is installed. Sometimes when you have a save that includes some important whatever from a mod and that mod is later removed, the game is still looking for that important whatever in that location... and when it can't find it - crash.To test this try starting a new game - if you have a clean save on stand-by (which you SHOULD. Seirously.) Then trying running this save. It shouldn't reference the missing object. Travel to where you were getting the crashes to see if they persist.If it doesn't crash, then you get to figure out what it was you removed from the game."

Texture packs

This is HUGE. Skyrim is a 32bit program which means it can only hold 3.5-4.0GB of RAM NO MATTER WHAT. Even if your computer has 100GB of RAM Skyrim can only use 3.5-4.0GB of it. If you exceed this, Skyrim will have infinite loading screens, random CTD's, random freezing, etc... Do you have a lot of high quality textures? Armor packs, UNP/body mods, ground textures, added buildings, added NPC's, water textures, etc... You may be overloading your memory/game. Try uninstalling some and see if this improves (alternative below). Try cutting back on building textures, water textures and rock textures. Also, if you have the free DLC for textures, disable it. It causes more problems than it is worth because of this issue in my opinion.

Reducing the size of textures is CRUCIAL. Mods like Water give an optional file for reduced texture size. These texture are still better than Vanilla Skyrim so I would recommend using those options ANY TIME you see them. Bringing the textures down will reduce CTDs and even boost overall performance with hardly any noticable visuals lost in my opinion. Especially with so many ENB's/lighting mods to make up for the texture being a little smaller.

Script heavy mods/high spawn point mods

Self explanatory. If you have any of these try disabling them and see if your game improves again. Mods like Warzones, ASIS and SkyTEST fall into this category. (while mods like this can be totally fine, such as skyTEST, your system may not be able to handle them.)

Save game file

Your characters save could already be corrupted if you have not paid too close attention to load order/removed mods in the past. If customizing your load order doesn't fix it you may have to start a new game and keep your load order in check going forward. Also, your removed mods have a HUGE effect on your save game file. Try mods on a different save before you decide to keep/remove them so you don't have to add/remove them from your main save file.

"My point is that there is a good chance all that there is a whole bunch of junk still lurking about in your save. Particularly if you've ever run a mod with any new or edited scripts. You can deactive the mod, you can delete the scripts, but if not properly executed, the scripts will keep on keeping on. Waiting to attack, when you least expect it. (There is a way to investigate this also, and I will again direct you to my friend "Google" as the process involves making changes to your .ini file - ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP). Essentially, YOU might forget about the mod the second it's deleted, but your SAVE remembers."

.ini edits/game integrity

Make sure your .ini edits are all popular ones and not ones known to cause any issues.

Ugridstoload is a common one to cause some problems. I have found a GREAT mod to replace ugridstoload. Go ahead and set your ugrids to load back to 5 and exterior cell buffer back to 36 (make sure you do this as instructed in the "advanced tweaking" section of the guide posted directly below). This mod will do most of what ugrids does without the extra CTD's. May cause some FPS drop but lowering your ugrids back to 5 will raise your FPS. Here is the mod: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/12866 (this mod MAY need some cleaning in tes5edit if you know how)

Also, read ALL the pages in this guide here:

http://www.geforce.com/optimize/guides/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-tweak-guide#8

Focus on reducing as many values as possible, not increasing. I use the pictures/charts provided to get the lowest possible setting with the best quality still in mind. Make sure you read all the pages and not just the first one. There are multiple sections. Doing this will have a huge effect on your game.

CTD solving guide

Go here:

http://s1.zetaboards.com/bbenlibrary/topic/4871296/1/#new

For an EXCELLENT CTD solving guide. The only thing I don't agree with in his posts (that I have noticed) is using BOSS. It has never been nearly as good as just making your own load order like described above IN MY OPINION.

AOP's Dangerous File List

These files WILL crash/currupt your game/save game. DO NOT USE at any cost. Get rid of any you have installed immediately and start a new game if CTD's occur consistently after uninstallation.

List here: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/906023-aops-dangerous-file-list/

Sorry if you know a lot of this already but from my experiences these have helped me a lot.

Thanks to missjennabee, nonoodles, Brandy_123, and others for some quotes in this useful info.

Edited by AngelOfPassion

Well I have some input/suggestions. In your description for the dangerous files, I would like to see in there something about unsupported mods as well. The reason is, I am going to suggest mods to put on that list, but it is because the mod author does not/cannot update his mod on the Nexus anymore. His mods DO NOT cause issues such as save bloat and game corruption. Theyt are memory intensive, and coupled with other large mods, it will provide CTDs. That isn't the point though, main thing, he can't update them here, but still supports/updates newer versions on the Steam workshop along with releasing new mods.

thirteenoranges mods:

Quest - No Mercy: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/12024

Quest - The Bigger They Are: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/12026

Quest - And the Realms of Daedra :http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/12369

Quest - Sea of Ghosts :http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/15862

AOP's Dangerous File List:

If there are newer versions than what is listed here I would suggest double checking the authors changelog to confirm they have addressed the bugs. Even then I would proceed at your own risk. This is a comprehensive list of files that are considered "gamebreaking" or dangerous to your save game file.

7K Better Whiterun - City Under Construction - BETA - versions 1.2b or earlier

CLARALUX - More and Brighter Lights - versions V3A, V4A - Special note: V2A reported as safe by majority of community.

Please do not PM/reply to this list with suggestions unless you have inspected the .esp/.esm yourself and have seen the conflicts. Even then I will consult with a few of my friends (mod authors) to confirm the conflicts if possible. Thank you.

Can you elaborate a bit more on the "dangerous" part instead of simply listing a mod. Is it dangerous because? save game bloat? corruption? VRAM hungry? Script heavy? (last two cases doesn't make it dangerous, just need a better rig. Otherwise you might as well add most of the high end ENBs in this list).

Edited by septeracore

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey I've got one or two texture packs installed and was wondering how higher and lower load order works in the area of overiting.

Say if I've got Texutre pack A and B. And A makes new rock, grass and water textures while B just changes water textures (which i prefer to A's textures) would I put Texture Pack B above or below A in my load order to overite its textures?

Thanks for any help