⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

How would one go about reducing Papyrus-based lag?

darkdill

My game is rather prone to jamming due to having a lot of Papyrus-script mods like Auto-Loot, Convenient Horses, etc. Seems like they're always trying to compete with each other and get through at the same time, and my computer can't handle it. Graphics and textures aren't a problem for my machine, but when getting into combat and stuff like that, that's where the problems occur.

Makes me wish there was a program/mod that could reduce this lag directly. But that's probably a pipe dream...

you can make some modifications to the ini files in order to allocate more system resources to papyrus.

give these a try (simply copy them into your skyrim.ini file (after making sure they don't already appear in the ini)):

[Papyrus]

fUpdateBudgetMS=800.0

fExtraTaskletBudgetMS=800.0

fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=2000.0

iMinMemoryPageSize=256

iMaxMemoryPageSize=512

iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=153600

it might also be worth making sure your load order is correctly sorted with BOSS, that you have cleaned any dirty mods, and that you have the latest versions of the mods you are running, as while this may not necessarily improve your performance directly, it will improve the overall stability of your game

Edited by Azakiel

you can make some modifications to the ini files in order to allocate more system resources to papyrus.

give these a try (simply copy them into your skyrim.ini file (after making sure they don't already appear in the ini)):

[Papyrus]

fUpdateBudgetMS=800.0

iMinMemoryPageSize=256

iMaxMemoryPageSize=512

it might also be worth making sure your load order is correctly sorted with BOSS, that you have cleaned any dirty mods, and that you have the latest versions of the mods you are running, as while this may not necessarily improve your performance directly, it will improve the overall stability of your game

Wow, what a difference. Funny thing is, I had this before when I used to use Frostfall and I thought it was causing MORE instability. Guess it must've just been because I had been stupidly using RLO and CoT at the same time. :s

Thanks a bunch. Now I can actually MOVE during fights.

• 10 months later...

I don't

[Papyrus]
fUpdateBudgetMS=800.0
iMinMemoryPageSize=256
iMaxMemoryPageSize=512

I don't have Skyrim.ini, but there's Skyrim_default.ini. Is this the same file that I can edit?

Inside there's a line similar to that

[Papyrus]
fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=500.0
bEnableLogging=0
bEnableTrace=0
bLoadDebugInformation=0

There are somethings that are the same, and some that you have that I don't have and some I have that you don't have. Do I completely replace that, or just add those not there, and change the values of those already there?

• 5 months later...
Also the developers have stated publicly that editing these values is a bad idea and people who advise it have no idea what hey are talking about. Apparently the values are supposed match values embedded in the game engine. To be clear I have not observed this myself and givej the number of people who use these edits I would have expected it to be well known by now if they caused serious problems. Just thought you should have all of the info.