Full xbox 360 controller support ( I got it working)

thomriis

Hi oblivion fans.

This has bugged me for a long time, But its really so obvious if you think in logical terms with the button mapping in oblivion :geek:

To get the controller working properly you need : a xbox 360 wired controller ( to get the L&R triggers to work) + Xpadder supporting your kind of windows (Xpadder only support the 360 controllers triggers)

Download Xpadder and make sure that your controller is plugged in when installing it,Go into your oblivion folder and locate the oblivion(default) ini file,Find the line named busejoystick =1 and change it to

busejoystick =0 to disable all joystick support, cause oblivion offers some kind of stupid semi support for their 360 controller and makes it interfering with the mapping from Xpadder (save and close the ini file).

if you dont have any save games yet, Launch the game and make one (in some cases oblivion wont recognise Xpadder if you dont have one) use your mouse and skip the intro with esc, save your game and close it REMEMBER NO MAPPING YET!!!!

The trick here is only to map the keyboard and mouse functions (The joystick option in the control menu should no longer appear )

1 first of all you should check the default keyboard and mouse controls in the control menu and make sure they are like this.

Forward = W

Back = S

Slide left = A

Slide right = D

Attack = empty (press esc to delete command)

Activate = space

Block = L - Alt

Cast = C

Ready Weapon = F

Sneak = L - ctrl

Run = L - Shift

Always run = caps ( No need to configure with xpadder)

Auto move = Q ( No need to configure with Xpadder)

Jump = E

Change View = R

Journal = Tab

Wait = T

Quick save = F5 (no need to configure with Xpadder)

Quick Load = F9 (No need to configure with Xpadder)

Grab = Z

PHEEW , Close your game and launch Xpadder.

2 : Xpadder is really easy to use, Select new layout, Check the box for the L-analog stick and move it left and up (The same goes for your R-analog stick)

Check the box for the Directional pad,Follow the instructions and press it in all directions.

Check the box for the buttons and press every button available on your controller Y,X,A,B,LB,RB,LT,RT,BACK and START DONT PRESS THE TRIGGERS YET!!!

Check the box for the triggers and press L trigger and then right trigger, All buttons mapped Remember that you can drag the icons so they look similar to your controllers layout.

SAVE YOUR LAYOUT FOR HEAVENS SAKE AS OBLIVION OR LOLLIPOP (WHATEVER YOU FANCY) :biggrin:

In case everyones still awake at this point we finally come to the last part YEEP mapping the keyboard and mouse controls with Xpadder.

Do This

Launc Xpadder of course and press the icons on the layout,Enabling you to choose the inputs on the keyboard layout ( Remember to drag the LT button into the L - Analog stick icon (and do the same with the RT button) HERE GOES!!!

L - Analog stick up = W ( Move forward)

L - Analog stick down = S ( Move back)

L - Analog stick left = A ( Slide left)

L - Analog stick right = D ( Slide right)

Now locate the little icon in the SE corner, Left click it and move the slider to the left and set it to 25% Deadzone.

R - Analog stick up = Mouse move up ( Move cursor up)

R - Analog stick down = Mouse move down ( Move cursor down)

R - Analog stick left = Mouse move left ( Move cursor left)

R - Analog stick right = Mouse move right ( Move cursor right)

Click on the icon located in the SE corner, Left click it and move the slider all the way down to 1% Deadzone, Then click advanced settings and set emulation speed L-R to 69 and U-D to 69.

LB = C ( Cast)

RB = L - Shift ( Right click it and choose toggle) Enables Run and Walk mode

L - Trigger = left mouse button ( Attack)

R - Trigger = right mouse button ( Block)

L - Thumb = CTRL - L ( Right click it and choose toggle) Enables Sneak mode on-off

R - Thumb = Z (Right click it and choose toggle) Enables Grab mode on-off

Back button = T ( Wait)

Start button = Escape ( Options menu)

Y button = E ( Jump)

X button = F ( Ready weapon)

A button = Space ( Activate)

B button = Tab ( Inventory)

D - Pad up = R ( Change view)

The other directions on the D - Pad have not been set, So if you miss some shortcuts or commands youre free to set them as you like,

This is as close as you get to control oblivion with a controller, Minor drawbacks are of course that you have to use the cursor to scroll through your inventory,And if you want to drop items you have to point

the cursor on it,Hold the attack button and drag it out of the window to get rid of it.

Hope you can use my setup and sorry if my spelling seem a bit odd, :biggrin:

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

there is actually a way to use buttons to go though the menu without the mouse, if you use the arrow keys you can navigate throught most of the menu, but unfortunatel there is no way th select different sub menus. of you use joytokey you can set multiple keys to each button, so if you set the left analog stick to use corresponding arrow keys at the same time as wasd, then you can navigate the menu with the left stick, while outside the menu, arrow keys do nothing, and in the menu wasd does nothing as well, so they cant interfere with eachother. i am still attemptng to create a workaraound for the drawbacks of this.

• 2 months later...

Did you edit the ini file busejoystick=1 and change it to busejoystick=0 (remember to save), It should disable all joystick support and only leave the keyboard + mouse options, If the joystick no longer appears in the menu for controls you did it right.

Its the in-build joystick support that makes buttons interfere, Sorry you must have done something wrong.

be more specific and ill try to help shouldnt be to hard :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Yes i think so!! Tried a ps 3 controller and one from logictech,Both had the same problem with LT and RT not responding at all.

If you use Xpadder youll also notice a message in the button configuration menu saying that it only supports a Microsoft 360 controller for getting LT and RT to work.

You could also try joy2key and see if they work with that. But youll have a hell of a time finding out which button is which, Just finding this program totally confusing.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a XPadder and a Logitech F710 in XInput mode. I use a slightly more simple method of setting up control, but it is not without drawbacks.

I simply map the mouse buttons and the mouse movement to the triggers and right stick. Those are the only changes I make in XPadder.

Then I remap the joystick controls in Oblivion. It works fine. The only drawback is that for some reason when you move diagonally you stop running and walk instead. This method does however give you analog control, whereas mapping the WASD to the left analog stick will only allow you to run all the time.