BLOG PIECE: Modding as a hobby versus modding as a career, and the position of the Nexus

Dark0ne

Stop right there you all, we need to clarify things. I don't agree in being forced to PAY for user generated content. Now to the opposite side, if I find out one mod I totally love and it's incredibly well made and I always use, if I had the money to spare, I would DONATE some money just because all the work behind.

That's the key word, concept, donations. A good piece of mod, with much work behind it, could deserve a donation just to support a little bit the modder and hopefully help in the making of a future and greater mod. But again, voluntary donation. If I'm forced to pay for a mod, it will be easy about what to do. I won't use it.

Now, this is the point it revolves around. I have things on mind, but I want to keep them as they are more......aggressive in the concepts they relate to. Good day.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24427299. #24436169, #24559099, #24559199, #24559584, #24559909, #24560084 are all replies on the same post.

RandomAcronyms wrote:
Zaldiir wrote: Could we please stop tossing around the word "greedy" just because people want a little bit of compensation for their work?
Donseluke wrote: No, its greed, plain and simple. Modders wanna make money? Do what everyone else does. Become a developer.
cplfernandez wrote: Are you serious? A guy spends hundreds of hours making a mod for you which gives you 50+ hours of additional fun on a game and then he asks you for 5 dollars(I'm guessing the mod price will be more like $1 when the system settles) and you call him greedy? No man it's you who is greedy.
Leros wrote: The sense of entitlement some of you people have borders on a personality disorder. Modders do not owe you anything, if they can make a couple of bucks off their work, good for them.

This reminds me of this article http://www.pcgamer.com/gta-4-icenhancer-creator-taking-break-from-modding-after-years-of-abuse/

No wonder some modders don't release their mods to the public at all.

The way people react to this by insulting the modders and saying "I can get this for free on the nexus" is crazy. Of course you get the mod on the nexus, because modders uploaded it here for everyone to enjoy as well.
AtirusGaming wrote: I don't hate this idea or the modders that are using this method. Modders have a right to do what they want. Just like I have the right to not pay for it. Which is exactly what me and the majority of the community plans on doing. Good luck with trying to cash in on this. Your hobby is not a career. Nobody is forcing you to make mods or update mods or even share your mods. To ask us to pay for it is like having a lemonade stand to make a quick 50 cents.
orcinator wrote: Beth/Valve are the greedy ones, I'd support an integrated tipping function for modders but putting a price tag on stuff will just damage the community. And it's obvious why they're going this route since this allows them to take a cut from every mod purchase.

you white knights.... no no no i don't care how good your mod is it was never official, hell i don't even pay for official dlc anyways unless I really like the game and then I buy it when its cheap on steam sales. I think modders should get compensated but by people who want to donate or have the money to and so forth..... not CHARGE FOR IT OFF THE GET GO thanks for becoming EA these are probably the same people who think its ok to be charged 120 dollars for bf:Hardline on release day >_>

Paid mods on steam: horrible idea

Donations worked fine for the last 3 years and a half...

Steam Workshop wants to get all the mods that Nexus has luring in the mod authors with the promise of money

Someone here said:

"Well let's all just not spend a single cent"...

but picture this, a modder releases a critical update or a very interesting new feature

instead of freely on the nexus, for money on the workshop...

now if you want the upgrade you NEED to buy this mod...

Luring in modders from other mod sites with the promise of selling their mods...

And they waited long enough to know there's a big ecosystem invested in modding skyrim...

Horrible move. Smart of their side, but terrible nonetheless.

this move sucks, is going to kill modding...

not on the authors' side... but on the users' side

I can't believe this is actually happening.

i mean wtf is valve thinking?

-Hey you know that part about games that keeps people playing for years?

-You mean mods? those files created by fans for other fans?

-Yea, let's throw in some capitalism to screw all of them over.

-Yea, great.

no honestly i get that some modders want some compensation but that's what the donate button is for. this is gonna screw everyone over:

- Mod makers will start doing it for money instead of fun. (not all of them but some)

- You think mod users are entitled pricks now? well prepare for some crazy butthurt kids crying over lost money because they can't keep their load order stable.

- I use around 15-200 mods for both Skyrim and Fallout NV alone, even if they only ask 0.50 cents for a mod i won't be able to afford them all.

- people might stop supporting their nexus version because they're free (nexus might turn in some kind of mod demo site)

- People might resort to pirating mods, which imo i can't blame them for.

I've been fairly negative because i find it hard to find anything positive but let's see:

- More people will try making mods. (can be a bad thing too)

- Mod makers will be encouraged to spend more time on them.

I never really liked the fact that i was forced to use steam to play games i bought on disk (yes i still buy disks cuz i like actually holding the games), but it's a handy tool and the sales are amazing. This kinda feels like a start for micropayments to sneak into singleplayer games like skyrim/Fallout.

Edited by monsta14

In response to post #24427299. #24436169, #24559099, #24559199, #24559584, #24559909, #24560084, #24560804, #24561119 are all replies on the same post.

RandomAcronyms wrote:
Zaldiir wrote: Could we please stop tossing around the word "greedy" just because people want a little bit of compensation for their work?
Donseluke wrote: No, its greed, plain and simple. Modders wanna make money? Do what everyone else does. Become a developer.
cplfernandez wrote: Are you serious? A guy spends hundreds of hours making a mod for you which gives you 50+ hours of additional fun on a game and then he asks you for 5 dollars(I'm guessing the mod price will be more like $1 when the system settles) and you call him greedy? No man it's you who is greedy.
Leros wrote: The sense of entitlement some of you people have borders on a personality disorder. Modders do not owe you anything, if they can make a couple of bucks off their work, good for them.

This reminds me of this article http://www.pcgamer.com/gta-4-icenhancer-creator-taking-break-from-modding-after-years-of-abuse/

The way people react to this by insulting the modders and saying "I can get this for free on the nexus" is crazy. Of course you get the mod on the nexus, because modders uploaded it here for everyone to enjoy as well.
AtirusGaming wrote: I don't hate this idea or the modders that are using this method. Modders have a right to do what they want. Just like I have the right to not pay for it. Which is exactly what me and the majority of the community plans on doing. Good luck with trying to cash in on this. Your hobby is not a career. Nobody is forcing you to make mods or update mods or even share your mods. To ask us to pay for it is like having a lemonade stand to make a quick 50 cents.
orcinator wrote: Beth/Valve are the greedy ones, I'd support an integrated tipping function for modders but putting a price tag on stuff will just damage the community. And it's obvious why they're going this route since this allows them to take a cut from every mod purchase.
MikeIsEpic wrote: you white knights.... no no no i don't care how good your mod is it was never official, hell i don't even pay for official dlc anyways unless I really like the game and then I buy it when its cheap on steam sales. I think modders should get compensated but by people who want to donate or have the money to and so forth..... not CHARGE FOR IT OFF THE GET GO thanks for becoming EA these are probably the same people who think its ok to be charged 120 dollars for bf:Hardline on release day >_>
Phychosis wrote: I'm just gonna use free mods from the nexus, and if a modder removes his/her mods from the nexus and goes to steam f@ck him/her and their mods. No matter what we will live on not all modders are going to go and those who charge are gonna find themselves with no fans and no money.

Damn money grab Edited by Phychosis

In response to post #24427299. #24436169, #24559099, #24559199, #24559584, #24559909, #24560084, #24560804, #24561089 are all replies on the same post.

RandomAcronyms wrote:

MikeIsEpic wrote: you white knights.... no no no i don't care how good your mod is it was never official, hell i don't even pay for official dlc anyways unless I really like the game and then I buy it when its cheap on steam sales. I think modders should get compensated but by people who want to donate or have the money to and so forth..... not CHARGE FOR IT OFF THE GET GO thanks for becoming EA these are probably the same people who think its ok to be charged 120 dollars for bf:Hardline on release day >_>
Phychosis wrote: I'm just gonna use free mods from the nexus, and if a modder removes his/her mods from the nexus and goes to steam f@ck him/her and their mods. No matter what we will live on not all modders are going to go and those who charge are gonna find themselves with no fans and no money.

I'm just gonna use free mods from the nexus, and if a modder removes his/her mods from the nexus and goes to steam f@ck him/her and their mods. No matter what we will live on not all modders are going to go and those who charge are gonna find themselves with no fans and no money.