Drawing a line under recent events and moving on

Dark0ne

In response to post #24942159. #24942244 is also a reply to the same post.

bullpcp wrote: Trigger warning: This post is about perspective and relative importance. This may caused those with over-inflated senses of self importance to feel fear, anxiety, rage, or other negative emotions and lash out uncontrollably at those that have triggered them.

I love mods and i know it is easy to lose perspective being part of a modding community but the reality is... the modding community is simply not that important to the success of Bethesda's games or their bottom line.

According to Bethesda only about 8% of Skyrim players have ever used even a single mod and that less than 1% have ever created one. Given that the majority of those that have used mods would still have purchased and played Skyrim without mods this leaves well less than 4% of their sales in some way dependent on the modding community.

For the fraction of the 8% of mod users against paid for mods, and would never pay for mods if available, you aren't even potential customers and aren't terribly relevant to Bethesda's business decisions. Bethesda decisions about paid for mods also have to take into account the other 92%+ of Skyrim players that have never used a mod and to the other fraction of 8% that that are potential customers of paid for mods. Together they comprise well over 92% of their customers.

The VAST majority of Bethesda's customers are not part of the modding community. This community, both for and against paid for modding, is a very small minority of Skyrim players.

Some here have completely lost perspective on their relative importance to the success of Bethesda. Some have claimed, against all evidence, that Bethesda's success is somehow dependent upon mods and modding in general. This does not empirically seem to be the case.

Even if all who oppose paid for mods boycotted Bethesda they would see, at most, a few percent drop in sales of their game. A drop that may very well be more than made up for with increases in revenue from mods and those that may very well purchase their game due to the ease of use and easy availability of paid for mods.
Vesuvius1745 wrote: And where is Bethesda getting the info that only 8% of people have ever used a mod? How would they know that? Even if they are counting console users with that equation (many of whom ended up buying Skyrim on the PC as well), I find that percentage hard to believe. Are they just going by Steam data? Just looking at the tens of millions of unique downloads on this site alone makes me think the same pencil pusher who came up with that figure is probably the same one who made the Hiroshima-style miscalculation with this pay-for rollout. They need to fire the individual(s) responsible for this abortion of creativity, and because they can't do math.

Vesuvius1745 Triggered! Just kidding.

Total Skyrim units sold 23,270,000

Skryim Sales By Platform
XBox 360 59 %
Playstation 3 27 %
PC 14 %

http://www.statisticbrain.com/skyrim-the-elder-scrolls-v-statistics/

"Only 8% of the Skyrim audience has ever used a mod. Less than 1% has ever made one."
http://www.bethblog.com/2015/04/27/why-were-trying-paid-skyrim-mods-on-steam/

8% of 23,270,000 would be 1,861,600 units using mods. The highest number of unique downloads is 7,384,353 for Skyrim HD - 2K Textures. I'm not sure how this was calculated but none of these numbers seem to contradict the Blog posts assertions.

I'm assuming they researched the topic. Your assertion seems to be that a multibillion dollar international company, in support of a multibillion dollar franchise, that specifically creates modding tools for the modding community, that has spent years planning on monetizing those mods, and that potentially had many millions of dollars at stake, doesn't know how many people use and create mods because some "pencil pusher" made a statistical error. I think I'll go with Bethesda's statistics.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24942159. #24942244, #24942979 are all replies on the same post.

bullpcp wrote: Trigger warning: This post is about perspective and relative importance. This may caused those with over-inflated senses of self importance to feel fear, anxiety, rage, or other negative emotions and lash out uncontrollably at those that have triggered them.

I love mods and i know it is easy to lose perspective being part of a modding community but the reality is... the modding community is simply not that important to the success of Bethesda's games or their bottom line.

According to Bethesda only about 8% of Skyrim players have ever used even a single mod and that less than 1% have ever created one. Given that the majority of those that have used mods would still have purchased and played Skyrim without mods this leaves well less than 4% of their sales in some way dependent on the modding community.

For the fraction of the 8% of mod users against paid for mods, and would never pay for mods if available, you aren't even potential customers and aren't terribly relevant to Bethesda's business decisions. Bethesda decisions about paid for mods also have to take into account the other 92%+ of Skyrim players that have never used a mod and to the other fraction of 8% that that are potential customers of paid for mods. Together they comprise well over 92% of their customers.

The VAST majority of Bethesda's customers are not part of the modding community. This community, both for and against paid for modding, is a very small minority of Skyrim players.

Some here have completely lost perspective on their relative importance to the success of Bethesda. Some have claimed, against all evidence, that Bethesda's success is somehow dependent upon mods and modding in general. This does not empirically seem to be the case.

Even if all who oppose paid for mods boycotted Bethesda they would see, at most, a few percent drop in sales of their game. A drop that may very well be more than made up for with increases in revenue from mods and those that may very well purchase their game due to the ease of use and easy availability of paid for mods.
Vesuvius1745 wrote: And where is Bethesda getting the info that only 8% of people have ever used a mod? How would they know that? Even if they are counting console users with that equation (many of whom ended up buying Skyrim on the PC as well), I find that percentage hard to believe. Are they just going by Steam data? Just looking at the tens of millions of unique downloads on this site alone makes me think the same pencil pusher who came up with that figure is probably the same one who made the Hiroshima-style miscalculation with this pay-for rollout. They need to fire the individual(s) responsible for this abortion of creativity, and because they can't do math.
bullpcp wrote: Vesuvius1745 Triggered! Just kidding.

Skryim Sales By Platform
XBox 360 59 %
Playstation 3 27 %
PC 14 %

"Only 8% of the Skyrim audience has ever used a mod. Less than 1% has ever made one."

8% of 23,270,000 would be 1,861,600 units using mods. The highest number of unique downloads is 7,384,353 for Skyrim HD - 2K Textures. I'm not sure how this was calculated but none of these numbers seem to contradict the Blog posts assertions.

I'm assuming they researched the topic. Your assertion seems to be that a multibillion dollar international company, in support of a multibillion dollar franchise, that specifically creates modding tools for the modding community, that has spent years planning on monetizing those mods, and that potentially had many millions of dollars at stake, doesn't know how many people use and create mods because some "pencil pusher" made a statistical error. I think I'll go with Bethesda's statistics.

"Your assertion seems to be that a multibillion dollar international company, in support of a multibillion dollar franchise, that specifically creates modding tools for the modding community, that has spent years planning on monetizing those mods, and that potentially had many millions of dollars at stake, doesn't know how many people use and create mods because some "pencil pusher" made a statistical error."

You've obviously never worked in the industry. I am an Electronic Arts vet (5 years, Redwood Shores California), and the number of stupid mistakes I saw from people who were paid a lot of money to know better was astounding. But yeah, feel free to believe anything they tell you without question. For me, and presumably others, we require a bit more evidence. And just from a cursory glance, I find their statistics suspect.

In response to post #24942159. #24942244, #24942979, #24943319, #24944129, #24944354, #24945849 are all replies on the same post.

Skryim Sales By Platform
XBox 360 59 %
Playstation 3 27 %
PC 14 %

Vesuvius1745 wrote: "Your assertion seems to be that a multibillion dollar international company, in support of a multibillion dollar franchise, that specifically creates modding tools for the modding community, that has spent years planning on monetizing those mods, and that potentially had many millions of dollars at stake, doesn't know how many people use and create mods because some "pencil pusher" made a statistical error."

You've obviously never worked in the industry. I am an Electronic Arts vet (5 years, Redwood Shores California), and the number of stupid mistakes I saw from people who were paid a lot of money to know better was astounding. But yeah, feel free to believe anything they tell you without question. For me, and presumably others, we require a bit more evidence. And just from a cursory glance, I find their statistics suspect.
Vesuvius1745 wrote: I also wanted to add that I think you're a smart guy, and although I haven't agreed with your opinions in previous posts, I respect your viewpoint. Now those statistics very well may be correct, but in this instance I think you are just a little too eager to believe what they are telling you without question. I am no expert, but just going by the limited information I have access to I find that 8% figure suspect. That is why I'd be interested in knowing exactly how they came up with it. Since it's the premise for your whole point, I think it's an important detail.
bullpcp wrote: I appreciate the complement. Everyone is as smart as they are, no more no less. Thank you for communicating with respect and without vitriol.

My premise is that only a minority of Skyrim's, and Bethesda's, sales are due to mods, modding, and the modding community and my conclusion would be that mods, modding, and the modding community are of only marginal importance to the success of Skyrim and Bethesda.

The evidence that this premise is based upon is fairly abundant. My post on platform sales data alone, with the assumption of statistically insignificant utilization of non pc platform modding, would indicate an upper limit on mod utilization of 14%. Their assertion of 8% does not seem unreasonable.

My GUESS would be that only 1%-2% or so of their total sales are dependent on modding. Under previous assumptions and constraints PC mod use may be assumed to be around 8%/14% or 57%+. Peace.
bullpcp wrote: EA very nice, much respect.

You don't have to convince me about how incompetent people can be. But since only 14% of all units sold are PC units, and almost all mods are created for PCs, this would necessarily indicate that a very small minority of their sales are dependent upon mods, modders, or modding community.

Even if 100% of the PC units sold used mods and 100% of those that used mods would not have purchased the unit without mods this would still only comprise 14% of their total sales.

Given that much less than 100% of PC units sold used mods, and far less than 100% of those that used mods would not have otherwise have purchased the product without mods, this would indicate that only a fraction of the 14% PC market are dependent upon the modding community.

These facts would necessarily indicate a possible range of 0%-14% of their sales are dependent on PC purchases and mod usage. My GUESS would be that a only a minority of their PC sales where dependent upon mod usage and that the reality of mod dependence would be at the bottom of the 0%-14% range.

This would indicate that the VAST majority of Skyrim users have never used a mod and that the vast majority of their sales are not dependent on modding. Given that they could have completely eliminated the PC market all together and Skyirm still would have been considered a huge commercial success. Please indicate how given the statistics available that Skyrims success would be dependent upon mods, modders, and the modding community. What combination of conditions, within the given statistical constraints, would indicate Skyrims success is dependent on modding?

I don't see how my interpretation of the data is dependent on Bethesda's accretions of modding statistics. I'm not writing this to diminish the community but to give it perspective. This is a tempest in a teacup. Again, I love mods but I have no illusions that Bethesda needs them to succeed. Edited by bullpcp

In response to post #24942159. #24942244, #24942979, #24943319, #24944114 are all replies on the same post.

Skryim Sales By Platform
XBox 360 59 %
Playstation 3 27 %
PC 14 %

Vesuvius1745 wrote: "Your assertion seems to be that a multibillion dollar international company, in support of a multibillion dollar franchise, that specifically creates modding tools for the modding community, that has spent years planning on monetizing those mods, and that potentially had many millions of dollars at stake, doesn't know how many people use and create mods because some "pencil pusher" made a statistical error."

bullpcp wrote: You don't have to convince me about how incompetent people can be. But since only 14% of all units sold are PC units, and almost all mods are created for PCs, this would necessarily indicate that a very small minority of their sales are dependent upon mods, modders, or modding community.

Even if 100% of the PC units sold used mods and 100% of those that used mods would not have purchased the unit without mods this would still only comprise 14% of their total sales. This is demonstrably false given how divided this community alone is.

Given that much less than 100% of PC units sold used mods, and far less than 100% of those that used mods would not have otherwise have purchased the product without mods, this would indicate that only a fraction of the 14% PC market are dependent upon the modding community.

These facts would necessarily indicate a possible range of 0%-14% of their sales are dependent on PC purchases and mod usage. My GUESS would be that a only a minority of their PC sales where dependent upon mod usage and that the reality of mod dependence would be at the bottom of the 0%-14% range.

This would indicate that the VAST majority of Skyrim users have never used a mod and that the vast majority of their sales are not dependent on modding. Given that they could have completely eliminated the PC market all together and Skyirm still would have been considered a huge commercial success. Please indicate how given the statistics available that Skyrims success would be dependent upon mods, modders, and the modding community. What combination of conditions, within the given statistical constraints, would indicate Skyrims success is dependent on modding?

I don't see how my interpretation of the data is dependent on Bethesda's accretions of modding statistics. I'm not writing this to diminish the community but to give it perspective. This is a tempest in a teacup. Again, I love mods but I have no illusions that Bethesda needs them to succeed.

I also wanted to add that I think you're a smart guy, and although I haven't agreed with your opinions in previous posts, I respect your viewpoint. Now those statistics very well may be correct, but in this instance I think you are just a little too eager to believe what they are telling you without question. I am no expert, but just going by the limited information I have access to I find that 8% figure suspect. That is why I'd be interested in knowing exactly how they came up with it. Since it's the premise for your whole point, I think it's an important detail.

In response to post #24942159. #24942244, #24942979, #24943319, #24944114, #24944129 are all replies on the same post.

Skryim Sales By Platform
XBox 360 59 %
Playstation 3 27 %
PC 14 %

bullpcp wrote: You don't have to convince me about how incompetent people can be. But since only 14% of all units sold are PC units, and almost all mods are created for PCs, this would necessarily indicate that a very small minority of their sales are dependent upon mods, modders, or modding community.

Even if 100% of the PC units sold used mods and 100% of those that used mods would not have purchased the unit without mods this would still only comprise 14% of their total sales. This is demonstrably false given how divided this community alone is.

I don't see how my interpretation of the data is dependent on Bethesda's accretions of modding statistics. I'm not writing this to diminish the community but to give it perspective. This is a tempest in a teacup. Again, I love mods but I have no illusions that Bethesda needs them to succeed.
Vesuvius1745 wrote: I also wanted to add that I think you're a smart guy, and although I haven't agreed with your opinions in previous posts, I respect your viewpoint. Now those statistics very well may be correct, but in this instance I think you are just a little too eager to believe what they are telling you without question. I am no expert, but just going by the limited information I have access to I find that 8% figure suspect. That is why I'd be interested in knowing exactly how they came up with it. Since it's the premise for your whole point, I think it's an important detail.

I appreciate the complement. Everyone is as smart as they are, no more no less. Thank you for communicating with respect and without vitriol.

My premise is that only a minority of Skyrim's, and Bethesda's, sales are due to mods, modding, and the modding community and my conclusion would be that mods, modding, and the modding community are of only marginal importance to the success of Skyrim and Bethesda.

The evidence that this premise is based upon is fairly abundant. My post on platform sales data alone, with the assumption of statistically insignificant utilization of non pc platform modding, would indicate an upper limit on mod utilization of 14%. Their assertion of 8% does not seem unreasonable.

My GUESS would be that only 1%-2% or so of their total sales are dependent on modding. Under previous assumptions and constraints PC mod use may be assumed to be around 8%/14% or 57%+. Peace. Edited by bullpcp

In response to post #24925259. #24926814, #24940699, #24942334, #24942359 are all replies on the same post.

lesliewifeofbath wrote: Sir, your position on donations sicken me as I saw you kick off fantastic mod (Skyrim Romance) just few months ago for just asking for donations. I see nothing wrong with that, especially since it was a very complex mod that required voice actors.

I think you need to get a grip, stop complaining and come up with a reasonable policy regarding donations.

And no, I'm not author of any mod, lest you try and ban me too.

Trollkins wrote: What? The authors tried to start a $50,000 Kickstarter for their mod. Even they admitted it was misguided and against Betheda's T&Cs.

I think with all the horrible events going on in the world you need to take a step back, get some perspective and work out what really 'sickens' you.
phantompally76 wrote: It's a legitimate comparison. Several of the mod authors who are whining about not being able to make money off mods RIGHT NOW were active participants in the public witch hunt that brought down Mara. That's one of the reasons I have absolutely zero sympathy for them. They are hypocrites, through and through. ESPECIALLY when one considers that 80% of those paid mods were still in early development, and those authors were asking for money to develop them further....which is exactly what Mara was doing. Furthermore, at least 12 of them piggybacked assets from other mods, and 5 of them ripped assets from other games entirely, and in their eyes that was GROSSLY immoral and enraging when Mara did it.....but it was perfectly acceptable when they did it.

No, if anyone deserves to be completely smug and haughty towards the entire modding community right now, it's Mara. I like to think she is maniacally cackling with glee as the modding community continues to devour its own tail. But in reality, she's probably not even that kind of person, and is just as saddened by this turn of events as the rest of us.

I'm not saying what she did was right or justifiable. I'm simply pointing out that a very large percentage of this community who persecuted and condemned her are now shamelessly and unrepentantly guilty of the same turpitude. And THAT is the underlying problem with this community.

TL;DR: Not a single advocate for the monetization of amateur modding has a moral/ethical/critical leg to stand on when it comes to Mara and the Skyrim Romance Mod, and any attempt to dismiss the parallels with that situation is ignorant hypocrisy at its very core.

WightMage wrote: They got kicked off the Nexus? Now I have a sad, as well. :'(

Though to be fair, the Romance Mod, despite being awesome and well made, used too many assets in addition to the fact its a Skyrim mod at the end of the day. Running a Kickstarter like that is just asking for trouble.

Honestly, the Nexus would have probably had to remove the mod just to save themselves the possible liabilities involved.
Vesuvius1745 wrote: The dude should have asked Bethesda for permission. It's not out of the realm of possibility that they would have worked something out.

Found this imgur explaining what happened to the Skyrim Romance Mod:

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/btIsD

EDIT: Finished reading Imgur... appears that in addition to a bad attitude, most of the mod (including the main character, Bishop) was actually lifted word for word from the Neverwinter Nights 2 character of the same name, down to the descriptions. Apparently there was a romance mod out for the game too, from which several dialogue options were also lifted.

In other words, not only did she break the law of three different companies (Nexus, Bethesda, Kickstarter) but she is guilty of plagiarism and attempting to profit off of stolen work.

I'm disgusted. As much as it pains me (for its still a decent mod), I cannot support this bullshit. Out the mod goes. Edited by WightMage

In response to post #24925259. #24926814, #24940699, #24942334, #24942359, #24945094 are all replies on the same post.

lesliewifeofbath wrote: Sir, your position on donations sicken me as I saw you kick off fantastic mod (Skyrim Romance) just few months ago for just asking for donations. I see nothing wrong with that, especially since it was a very complex mod that required voice actors.

I think you need to get a grip, stop complaining and come up with a reasonable policy regarding donations.

Trollkins wrote: What? The authors tried to start a $50,000 Kickstarter for their mod. Even they admitted it was misguided and against Betheda's T&Cs.

I think with all the horrible events going on in the world you need to take a step back, get some perspective and work out what really 'sickens' you.
phantompally76 wrote: It's a legitimate comparison. Several of the mod authors who are whining about not being able to make money off mods RIGHT NOW were active participants in the public witch hunt that brought down Mara. That's one of the reasons I have absolutely zero sympathy for them. They are hypocrites, through and through. ESPECIALLY when one considers that 80% of those paid mods were still in early development, and those authors were asking for money to develop them further....which is exactly what Mara was doing. Furthermore, at least 12 of them piggybacked assets from other mods, and 5 of them ripped assets from other games entirely, and in their eyes that was GROSSLY immoral and enraging when Mara did it.....but it was perfectly acceptable when they did it.

No, if anyone deserves to be completely smug and haughty towards the entire modding community right now, it's Mara. I like to think she is maniacally cackling with glee as the modding community continues to devour its own tail. But in reality, she's probably not even that kind of person, and is just as saddened by this turn of events as the rest of us.

I'm not saying what she did was right or justifiable. I'm simply pointing out that a very large percentage of this community who persecuted and condemned her are now shamelessly and unrepentantly guilty of the same turpitude. And THAT is the underlying problem with this community.

TL;DR: Not a single advocate for the monetization of amateur modding has a moral/ethical/critical leg to stand on when it comes to Mara and the Skyrim Romance Mod, and any attempt to dismiss the parallels with that situation is ignorant hypocrisy at its very core.

Though to be fair, the Romance Mod, despite being awesome and well made, used too many assets in addition to the fact its a Skyrim mod at the end of the day. Running a Kickstarter like that is just asking for trouble.

Honestly, the Nexus would have probably had to remove the mod just to save themselves the possible liabilities involved.
Vesuvius1745 wrote: The dude should have asked Bethesda for permission. It's not out of the realm of possibility that they would have worked something out.
WightMage wrote: Found this imgur explaining what happened to the Skyrim Romance Mod:

EDIT: Finished reading Imgur... appears that in addition to a bad attitude, most of the mod (including the main character, Bishop) was actually lifted word for word from the Neverwinter Nights 2 character of the same name, down to the descriptions. Apparently there was a romance mod out for the game too, from which several dialogue options were also lifted.

In other words, not only did she break the law of three different companies (Nexus, Bethesda, Kickstarter) but she is guilty of plagiarism and attempting to profit off of stolen work.

I'm disgusted. As much as it pains me (for its still a decent mod), I cannot support this bullshit. Out the mod goes.

Doh!

In response to post #24942159. #24942244, #24942979, #24943319, #24944114, #24944129, #24944354 are all replies on the same post.

Skryim Sales By Platform
XBox 360 59 %
Playstation 3 27 %
PC 14 %

bullpcp wrote: I appreciate the complement. Everyone is as smart as they are, no more no less. Thank you for communicating with respect and without vitriol.

My GUESS would be that only 1%-2% or so of their total sales are dependent on modding. Under previous assumptions and constraints PC mod use may be assumed to be around 8%/14% or 57%+. Peace.

EA very nice, much respect.

In response to post #24925259. #24926814, #24940699, #24942334, #24942359, #24945094, #24945739 are all replies on the same post.

WightMage wrote: Found this imgur explaining what happened to the Skyrim Romance Mod:

I'm disgusted. As much as it pains me (for its still a decent mod), I cannot support this bullshit. Out the mod goes.
Vesuvius1745 wrote: Doh!

She's certainly no saint.

But neither is the author of that extremely biased imagur post.

At the end of the day, she was no better or no worse than the community who condemned her.

At least two of the paid sword mods were lifted directly from DOTA2.

Furthermore, many (but not all, of course) mod authors are notorious for having bad attitudes by individuals outside this community (and by no small number of individuals within).

And every single proponent of paid modding is guilty of wanting to profit off of stolen work. It's just a question of permissions given and legalities defined (both of which were, and continue to be extremely grey areas in relation to paid mods).

Mara was no more or less scrupulous than anyone else around here, from top to bottom. She was simply ahead of her time. Edited by phantompally76

MOST (but not all, of course) mod authors are notorious for having bad attitudes by individuals outside this community (and by no small number of individuals within).

every single proponent of paid modding is guilty of wanting to profit off of stolen work.

Highlighted so everyone can clearly see what a toxic troll you are. You're not building a rational or logical argument, you're just slinging mud and on a post that talks about "let's all move on". Class act, continue.