Preventing Crashes to Desktop

Baphomet

Nope, I have the viewdistance at 300% and I rarely encounter any CTDs. Must be a nifty little "feature" specific to your friend's computer.

300%, christ!, you must be able to see the edge of the map before it loads past it...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you tell us maybe how to run it in windowed mode then? :P (It's been discussed but I don't think anyone's revealed how).

EDIT: Well, I just looked at the thread, and Faust says to put in a -w at the end of the line in the shortcut... does that work? Then Marxist says something about an option button? I can't seem to find one. :P

The option for it is access by clicking options on the splash screen it should be right under the resolution drop down box, be warned however if your game resolution is not set lower your desktop resolution the game window will be forced off screen and generaly make playing difficult at best. I can only really recomend windowed mode for testing mods or otherwise multitasking, I only use windowmode as a last ditch attempt to get morrowind to run correctly on a system.

• 1 month later...

Greetings everyone,

I've had a good few problems meself.

Spec:

2.6Ghz P4

1028mb of Ram (DDR400 DIMMs)

120gb hard drive

Windows XP pro :oops:

Whenever I get a ctd, it tells me I have a problem with a device. I reckon it's jsut my onboard graphics (rated as a 64mb card mind) acting up. The most up-to-date drivers availible for it came out last April, and I'm waiting for 256mb cards to come down in price.

A few things that worked for me:

Looking at the floor whenever I save. Sometimes when saving causes a ctd, I can load it up, but the thumbnail will look like a corrupted picture (eg a C64 loading screen :wacko: ). These can usually be rescued.

If a save causes a ctd, I generally have to restart. ctds cause my desktop to go into 640x480 with 4bit colour :ohmy: , but after I restart, I can load the game fine. The "corrupted" saved game works, but I always make sure to try and save over it before I move at all. If the save process completes sucessfully, I try a quicksave. If that works ok, then I got find a bed and rest for an hour. This creates an autosave file. If I know for sure that fullsave and quicksave will cause a ctd, then autosave will generally work. It can also get a PC used to the notion of saving.

Is that tweak you suggested compatable with XP? Any files patches and download sugggestions are most welcome B)

Alberto: Im my case it helped to turn music down completely as the game tended to CTD when I was attacked, when changing area or any situation which causes music to change.

I agree with Alberto, since I've been able to reproduce a certain ctd which occurs every time I 100-jump across a cell border and run into a racer at the same time. At the exact moment when music switches I'm off to the good ol' desktop again. It seems to be some sort of combination between the cell crossing and the music change though, either one alone usually doesn't kill me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

:construction:ok. this will probably label me an idiot but here goes. i can get MW:bloodmoon installed til about 92 percent wen, on both my dvd burner and dvd player disc drives get datacab2 redundancy error. anyways her's the specs along with the files the warning says are missing

Icon file "Icons\s\Tx_S_Smmn_Wolf.dds" not found.

Icon file "Icons\s\Tx_S_Smmn_Bear.dds" not found.

Icon file "Icons\s\Tx_S_Smmn_Bonewolf.dds" not found.

the computer specs are kinda lengthy so their just added in at the link thingamacrackadoodle at the bottom :sick:

DxDiag.txt