Preventing Crashes to Desktop

Baphomet

Antaru: You're new here so I'll let you off but please don't hijack threads. Read the rules ;) I suggest you make a new thread about your problem here in Tech Support.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Webpagewell, i retrospect yeah this does belong in the bloodmoon section but hey it is technical support and it does continuously crash the game. i ran into the same problem now with tribunal. anyways if one of the moderators could move this post i'd appreciate im just a lazy sluff when im tryin to figure out whats wrong with this godforsaken machine

• 2 weeks later...

do you hear all the audio stuff ok when the starts up and during opening credits before game starts to and such? because i had a similar problem with the game crashing really quickly or sometimes even before attempting to load. i also have an XP system. since i knew i ought to be hearing some kind of sound at some point throughout this process, i opened Device Manager to find what i could find. here's the weird part... same as you, i had all the audio, video, multimedia, etc. drivers installed and up to date and nothing in Dev. Man indicated anything wrong with any of those; however, 2 big yellow questions marks (in other words two devices missing their driver files) next to SM BUS controller and Mass Storage Device. so, since i already know that uninstalling either of them is pointless because Windows ALWAYS 'finds new hardware' and tries reinstall them at system start-up everytime - and everytime, can't find the driver files... i decided to not unistall but disable them from this harware profile. and poof! game works... well sort-of. at this very moment i'm stuck at the character appearance/stats screen and i'm here to see if i it's 'cause i don't know what keyboard controls to use or because it's actually stuck.

anyway... point is, take a look into your Device Manager and check to make sure that there aren't ANY devices with big yellow question marks next to them amd if there are, try double clicking them and selecting the Disable Device option on the properties sheet. even if the device seems totally unrelated to anything the game needs to run on, if it's installed but not working due to missing files, it could be tying up your systems resources, I/O's, IRQ's, or some other system settings thing that your media control devices rely upon to operate correctly.

make sense?

anyway, don't know if that's any kind of help to anyone other than me as errorswith games are almost always unique to each machine/system, but maybe it'll get in the direction you need to go to stumble upon the solution? who knows...

• 1 month later...

Something similar...My computer has an MSI motherboard, and for some reason Winblows kept dumping the sound driver for the onboard card. For whatever reason, this prevented the game from running the startup MP3s, which is bad :angry2: . I think I might have disabled the device...haven't seen that in a while.

Anyway, I recently got Ares, and have been running it in the background. Also, I am running Folding@Home. Does anyone know if either of these majorly increase crash rate?

Also, if I leave the game running (paused) for a long time, it freezes, and killing it with Task Manager STILL has the computer running slow. If it's running even longer (12 hours, probably) I get a video card error...anyone seen that?

• 2 years later...

Sorry for double-posting...

I've recently gone back to Morrowind. Although it runs quite well, I do frequently get CTDs if I'm equipping or using an item. Having read through this topic, and the relevant pages of the linked Tweak Guide, I didn't notice any mention of a way to prevent these. Given that it's been a couple years, is there, perhaps, a way to prevent these now?

Thread necromancy! Oh wait we're adding some useful information to the thread, so that doesn't count.

There is always Timeslip's Exe Optimizer. It optimizes... Exe files. :rolleyes: You can use it on any exe, but not everything can be patched. The Oblivion Construction Set can be patched, but you should not do that because it messes up the havok sim. When you try to activate it the CS will crash.

Anyway, the description:

This is primarily a CTD prevention tool, but will also give an fps boost if you have an intel processor.

- As of v1.6, this now works on windows 98 and ME. You obviously still need an sse processor, which weren't very common in the old 98 days.

- It's been pointed out that in some circumstances exeopt is extremely slow. You may have to wait around 20 mins once it reaches around the 9000 segments mark. This only occurs on some computers, so is proving difficult to fix.

- It can also use .patch files to modify the morrowind executable.

That's it. You can find it on Timeslip's site right here.

Have tried this, and it seems to work. I don't actually know if it DOES work though...and I don't know of any way to benchmark random errors.

I would suggest that others try this, and see if it appears to help.

The problem is that Morrowind CTD's didn't happen that often for me in the first place, so I don't know. And since Timeslip is hosting it on his own site there is no comments section in which you can see comments... I'll check whether I can find a thread.

• 2 years later...

Hello!

The game crashes and leads me back to the desktop 1 minute after I started it since I installed the latest drivers for my ATI Radeon X1300 graphics card. I already came back to the previous versio nbut as it was a catalyst it didn't resolve the problem. I'd like to know what to do to know which is the exact cause of those regular crashes and if I can find old drivers for my graphic card so I can play the game again as before.

Thanks