No pause while in the inventory

Zimitry

So, I'm a huge fan of some roleplaying aspects. As such, every time I need to put on armor, I wait some seconds idle, and after that I proceed to equip wwhat I imagined myself equiping seconds ago. Same story for potions. And pretty much everything else.

So I thought I might aswell go ahead and make a suggestion for a mod that will make the unable to pause unless by "esc" (the menu). That would make it more hardcore just like in Dark Souls.

So, tell me what you think of my idea, and if it has been asked before please. I hope it's possible, although I, not knowing much about the CK, think it must be hard t1o achieve, if not impossible.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently got interested in this too. I found a static boolean variable in skyrim's memory (1B3E428) that controls whether the game is paused or not, easy enough to force it to constant 0. It works but does cause some problems, the game becomes unresponsive after waiting and sometimes when changing areas but wiggling the value will get it going again. I'm trying to trace the op code to see what where and why to maybe come up with a stable hook but i'm rather inexperienced in this area so no promises.

So there actually is a way to unpause the game while browsing inventory and similar?

Now that is interesting. I´ve always been told that this is hard-coded. If you or someone should come up with a solution, a LOT of people would be very thankful, judgin by how often this is requested.

It is hardcoded in the sense that its not exposed to the official modding tools but nothing in software is really set in stone. Anyway, upon some further investigation it turns out its not a boolean but most likely an integer since it has a few other meaningful values than 0 and 1, mostly to do with various menu variants. I tried finding another place to interfere with the inventory -> pause eventuality by tracing functions that interact with the address but only came up with a few fragmented areas of the game, messing with those breaks the game big time so i think this one is the best entry point.

The address is a statically stored pointer in the main exe file so something like SKSE would be in an ideal position to take advantage of it, switch the address for something controlled by a skse plugin that also listens to keyboard inputs to produce a viable alternative. Personally i don't think i'll get on that since i don't have the time to do it all nice like, i might come up with something to be launched alongside skyrim to get the same effect. Before i do that though, it would be useful if somebody confirmed or refuted that the address is static across different installations.

So please, if somebody can be arsed -

download and run a program called "cheat engine"

run skyrim and load a savegame

alt tab to CE while not paused

open the skyrim process

click the "add address manually" button

enter 1B3E428 and OK

a new entry should appear in the watch list

if the value comes up as 0 tick the little box to the left (this will freeze the value)

tab back to skyrim and see if it worked

Don't worry, this cannot harm your game or your save, you might crash but thats about it.

• 5 months later...

It is hardcoded in the sense that its not exposed to the official modding tools but nothing in software is really set in stone. Anyway, upon some further investigation it turns out its not a boolean but most likely an integer since it has a few other meaningful values than 0 and 1, mostly to do with various menu variants. I tried finding another place to interfere with the inventory -> pause eventuality by tracing functions that interact with the address but only came up with a few fragmented areas of the game, messing with those breaks the game big time so i think this one is the best entry point.

The address is a statically stored pointer in the main exe file so something like SKSE would be in an ideal position to take advantage of it, switch the address for something controlled by a skse plugin that also listens to keyboard inputs to produce a viable alternative. Personally i don't think i'll get on that since i don't have the time to do it all nice like, i might come up with something to be launched alongside skyrim to get the same effect. Before i do that though, it would be useful if somebody confirmed or refuted that the address is static across different installations.

So please, if somebody can be arsed -

download and run a program called "cheat engine"

run skyrim and load a savegame

alt tab to CE while not paused

open the skyrim process

click the "add address manually" button

enter 1B3E428 and OK

a new entry should appear in the watch list

if the value comes up as 0 tick the little box to the left (this will freeze the value)

tab back to skyrim and see if it worked

Don't worry, this cannot harm your game or your save, you might crash but thats about it.

I have tested this and I confirm that this method works. Now a modder just needs to pick it up.

However, it doesn't come without its fair share of bugs.

- Dialogue no longer plays after accessing the menu. I can't hear anyone talk. Other sounds work normally, and subtitles still work.

- You can get stuck after talking to an NPC with a dialogue menu (shopkeepers, etc). Your character can't move and you can't access any menus.

HOWEVER - disabling the active address in cheatengine AND THEN opening and closing the console fixes the issues in-game (and then you hilariously hear all the missed dialogue at once). So a modder would have to force inventory/menus to use the 0 value when the menus are open, and then leave the bit value open all other times, as it does not appear to be a true 0/1 boolean. 1 might be "paused", and 0 might be "unpaused" but there appears to be other values relating to dialogue that should be left alone..

Edited by SplenectomY

A good possible description or title for this mod would be "Dark Souls styled menu screens - pause can't save you now!" and/or "Immersive Menus". I'll do a little research into scripting to see if I can't figure this out myself, but if anyone can get an experienced modder into this, that would be great.

this woud not only cause probelems with the vanlla game itself but also a ton of mods. Althoug it is possible as you guys found out, im not sure if it would be possible to make a mod/toll with it that wouldnt bug out the game more often then not :/

not only would event like OnEquipped probably bug out but also OnMenuClose (or what ever that SKSE thing is called) would probably not work corectly or the mod that uses this event would break...

itresting thoug if it could be done

oh and not sure what betheshda thinks about that kind of "hard modding" since you would actually manipultae the game files instead of using an esp but i dont think it matters.... I dont think you can do it with a papyrus script even with skse... script dragon could be powerfull enough maybe

Edited by mastabenja

• 1 year later...

SkySouls - Unpaused Game Menus

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/77104/?

The only annoying bug I've found with it is that the dialogue menu stays in screen when the buying/trade menu pops up, so you have to tab out of it and then buy/trade as normal but the NPC may wander off.

Souls Quick Menu

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/72238/?

Good compliment to the above mod. Takes a while to set up in game and get used to it, but very well worth it.