Why Fable?

m_gobes

*Gasp* !!! Did I just see what i though I saw?!!? Uber bender just AGREED with untouchable!!! *Gasp* !

moving on... I loved fable. Yes, i did think it would be a bit more... hands on through your childhood but the gameplay and AI were great. I also liked how you could get people drunk...hillarious. The graphics were good too and I liked how you could get scars. thats my opinion...

*Gasp* !!! Did I just see what i though I saw?!!? Uber bender just AGREED with untouchable!!! *Gasp* !

lol... w/e...

anyway I've decided to create Fable versions of two of my characters from Mw. Tarwuin the Loud, the cliche bigass bearded nordic metal swinger. and Akon Half-Dwemer (a horned wood elf), an uber terroristic demon sorceror piomp.

seriously enough, the only reason i stayed alive was for Fable. now it sucks (edit- spoke too fast, it doesnt suck it just didnt live up to a tenth of the expectations of [pre-release] Fable fans) the only thing keeping me up now is Halo2 (no im the farthest thing from a fanboy). but at least they actually have beta-version multiplayer reviews, that and the fact that they're ahead of schedule.

lol, i got little newbs askin me to let them borrow Fable already cuz everyone that bought it out the first day is telling them its a disappointment and they dont want to make the same mistake of wasting 50$ on a game that wont deliver. but it doesnt matter, its gonna be a million seller anyway cuz a even the official reviews wont admit it didnt live up to expectations (damn im really tired of saying that line over and over again)

...breathe... in... out... ok... im good...

edit- looks good Peregrine. ./

• 4 months later...

Those highly awaited games that've been coming out of late haven't been doing very well have they? The sales are high, but so are the returns!

Here's what I think of Fable...

Fable Reviewed

On Friday, 8th October Fable was finally released in the UK. On Saturday the long awaited game came through my letterbox from Microsoft Game Studios. To be honest, I had forgotten about Fable or Project Ego as it was originally named. It’s now 2004 and the last time I heard about Fable until recently was in issue 12 of the “Official UK Xbox magazine” and from reading the article it was apparently obvious that a lot had been cut from the game since I last saw it. But did that prevent it being a good game?

Fable takes place in a world known as Albion, a vast, living and breathing world. It ranges from snow topped peaks and golden autumn forests, to dark sanctuaries and temples of Evil.

You start the game off as a little boy, being persuaded from the start by your father to perform good deeds in order to get rewarded so you can buy a box of chocolates for your sister. However, this does not last long. Soon enough the game takes a twist as the darkest night of Albion unfolds in Oakvale, your home town. A mysterious character appears and rescues you from the inferno of Oakvale and you begin to learn about “the Guild”. Here, you find out that you are somehow special, although this isn’t revealed to you until much later in the game.

The story takes many turns as you progress through the various core and side quests it offers. Betrayal, revelations and hidden secrets are only a few of the twists you’ll encounter as you battle through hordes of creatures, deciding whether to go down the path of the light, or the path of darkness. Many of these twists and turns within the game are predictable but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any unpredictable ones. Just because the game story has twisted once, it doesn’t mean it won’t twist again. The plot was sadly rather basic and lacking in parts and rather short, although what it lacks in storyline here, it makes up for later.

Everyone who knows about Fable will know it has something to do with being good or evil, similar to Lionhead’s previous release Black & White. You may think that it would be easy to choose if you are going to be good or evil but it isn’t always as straight forward as just choosing. The nature of quests you take on will partially determine your alignment as well as the acts you commit. I found that being an evil hero was a pretty easy thing. Smash a few windows, steal items, kill villagers and so on. Being evil, you are forced to do some good things during the core quests, but not too many. Being good is a totally different story. You aren’t actually forced to perform any evil deeds during the game but it does happen, especially since you don’t always know what will be counted as evil. For example, when I started the game I found out that by selecting a book case in a villager’s house would make you steal from it, thus my hero became a little bit evil. I also found out that later in the game that eating “Crunchy Chicks” as a source of health is enough to add evil alignment points every time you do so and considering the amount I had to eat to survive the a certain quest, I became pretty evil (well, not quite). Also during battle you may accidentally put your sword through the odd window unfortunately, but it isn’t too bad. The core quests offer plenty of chances to perform an evil deed. While you may say that you won’t do those bad deeds, the rewards can be well… rewarding and in some cases perhaps enough to win you over and get you to perform the evil deed, wondering what would have happened if you hadn’t done so. The biggest choice of alignment you will have to make is at the end of the game and determines whether or not you get the Sword of Aeons,

the one sword that can control Albion. Although how it does this, I’m not sure. There wasn’t much special about the sword except it does pack a load of hit points but there isn’t really anything large enough to give it a good test out on. Originally there were supposed to be dragons in the game but the worst enemy I can think of that has actually been implemented are the Minions This brings me to talk about the end of the game, which was rather lacking. I was just starting to get into the game and had just mastered the sometimes fiddly controls, so I was rather disappointed that once you had completed the final quest, the game ends and just goes back to the main menu. I had a quick look on the net and noticed that some reviewers had talked about this disappointment and others had talked about free-roaming. I found out that if you let the full 10 minute long credits roll without scene skipping you are let free to explore the world and carry on if you wish although the lack of quests can make it slightly tedious. If you do continue the game, the choice you made at the end affects your character (who somehow was 7 years younger after). Your character now will be either heavily evil or good but don’t worry if your alignment isn’t what you wanted it to be. In Fable it is possible to bargain with the Gods. Is your hero too evil for your liking? Pay a quick visit (and a large sum of money) to the god of Avo in the Temple of Avo suitably. If your hero is too good for your liking, visit the opposite temple for those of evil alignment or simply commit a few petty acts of window smashing. It never seemed to matter much whether you actually chose good or evil. Apart from slightly altered dialogue depending on the choices you made and cowering villagers, being evil is not that different from being good, sadly. One nice touch is that you can buy a fitting title to reflect the alignment of your hero. For example, Reaper for the dark and Priest of Light for the good alignment, because after all being called a Chicken Chaser all through the game does get tiring now and again.

One of the aspects of Fable that makes up for the lacking plot are the graphics and special effects. Fable must be one of the best looking RPG games out there. The graphics engine and the power of the Xbox’s NVidia developed XGPU really help to bring Fable to life. The scenery as you walk through battle worn country, snow covered villages, eerie grave yards and autumn forests is breath taking. The areas feel like they are living and breathing. The graphical beauty of the game doesn’t stop here though. Villages are beautifully modelled with care and attention, even if the buildings get a little bit repetitive in each village. The effects used in fighting are also stunning. Sparks, fire, water, expect to see them all and expect them to be stunning. Clearly a lot of effort went into the graphical side of the game to make it one of the most, if not the best looking RPG game available. One problem with the graphics is that the frame rate can suffer sometimes, but I only found that it judders for a few frames now and again, particularly when there is a lot happening on-screen. However, this seems a good exchange for the graphics of the game, which appear to have been improved from earlier builds, as I noticed while looking at some screenshots of previous pre-release versions of Fable. One other graphical aspect of the game that was put to extremely good use was the lighting. The game features beautiful day to night transitions meaning you can watch the sun go down at night fall and carry on fighting. This isn’t just for effect though, because during different times, you might encounter different people. At night you’ll see all the villagers packing up and going home for the day, whilst lighting the village’s lamps and out come different characters. One other good use of lighting is the set the environment in the game. The best example of lighting I thought of was if you go to Oakvale and then run near the gate to Grey’s Manor and watch as the cheerful village colours drain away to replaced by eerie and dull shades of grey.

No environment would be complete without the appropriate sound effects. Even if you couldn’t see the area around you, you’d always be able to tell what sort of area you were in from the music performed in some cases by the Philharmonic Orchestra. Villages might have light and cheery music while graveyards and crypts have much darker, sinister scores. The music for cut scenes also reflects the nature of the situation and the only complaint I’d make is that sometimes the music can become rather repetitive. The sound effects used for spell casting, melee attacks and the like weren’t anything special, but they weren’t anything that I could make a bad comment on.

I don’t think Fable is as ground breaking as what it was originally intended and hyped to be, but it’s certainly an entertaining and beautiful game which may well set the standard for future RPG games to beat. I followed Fable when it was first announced quite closely and it’s clear that many cut backs have been made and some are obvious, since may get referenced to dragons which happen to be rather lacking… completely. Fable has tried hard to add new aspects of game play other than just mindless fighting. Relationships, alignments and even the chance of getting into the property market are all things that this game allows you to try your hand at, but these added extras either don’t have any usefulness or they have enough depth. Many others would probably agree with me that if Lionhead were to develop these extra features further they could really make them work in Fable 2 rather than leaving them out because they are a nice touch to have.

Not to be reused in part or in whole without prior permission from TouringNet.co.uk.

• 1 year later...

Archived