Mod Organizer 2 In Linux - It WORKS!

Vondriago

Below is a snippet from a tutorial I have been working on. I may have to take a break for several days because of RL issues - we all have 'em and love 'em. But the tutorial is nearly complete.

One of the important points about this tutorial and this forum entry is it highlights the fact that I'm using a WINE Bottle, Winetricks, and Protontricks to accomplish using Mod Organizer 2 in Linux, and nothing else. And so far, I have succeeded. In short, all you need is WINE Staging, Winetricks, and Protontricks. That's it!

By "nothing else" I mean just that. I am not using Lutris in combination with WINE, which is cumbersome and has its own problems. Nor am I using a script to download and install old software that may or may not still function due to being outdated.

My tutorial aims to inform in clear language how to use WINE to install MO2 in any Linux distro and have it run like it is in Windows. And, because it is a WINE Bottle, WINE (along with Winetricks and Protontricks) will always be kept up-to-date. This means keeping MO2 up and running in Linux does not depend on outside sources for updates. All you have to do is keep YOUR system updated, and MO2 will always work. This makes this tutorial a fire-and-forget solution!

For the record, I am running Fedora 34, and I'm using the latest MO2, the latest LOOT, the latest Proton GE (via Steam), and so on.

Here is the link to the original post about me hacking out MO2 running in Linux. No more finagling with Lutris or bad tutorials! It works!

---------------------- Status --------------------------

Mod Organizer 2 in Linux - What does and doesn't work
=======
I have tested the functions of MO2 and their results in a WINE Bottle for each game listed below. Note that the MO2 Functions category includes such things as Steam Login (via API is the most dependable), editors for INI files, theme selection, MO2 updating, BSA unpacking, and all of the other functions. The only exception is for for downloading directly from Nexus (the NXM Linker). If there is a problem, It will be described in the appropriate category.

Oblivion
MO2 Launches Yes
MO2 Loads .dlls Yes - since installing Pythin in the Bottle, no .dll fails at MO2 startup.

MO2 Functions Yes

OMOD NO - OMOD functions problematic, may or may not work. When fails, breaks WINE Bottle and requires reinstall. OMM alone or run through MO2 not tested. Suspect MO2 omod.dll.

MO2 NXM Linker No - I have yet to implement a fix for Nexus download function.
MO2 VFS Yes
Script Extender Not yet tested.
LOOT via MO2 Not yet tested.
XEdit Not yet tested.
zEdit No - fails to load a specific .dll. This is a zEdit dev problem.
WryeBash Not yet tested.
Java 8 Not yet tested.
Python 10 Yes - Critical to MO2 function and stability.
ENBoost Not yet tested.
ENB Not yet tested.
ReShade Not yet tested.

Skyrim LE
MO2 Launches Yes
MO2 Loads .dlls Yes - since installing Python in the Bottle, no .dll fails at MO2 startup.
MO2 Functions Yes
MO2 NXM Linker No - I have yet to implement a fix for the Nexus download function.
MO2 VFS Yes
Script Extender Yes
LOOT via MO2 Yes
XEdit Yes
zEdit No - Fails to load a specific .dll. This is a zEdit dev problem.
WryeBash Not yet tested
Java 8 Yes - Patchers and other Java-based tools work.
Python 10 Yes - Critical to MO2 function and stability.
DXVK Yes - Can use in place of DirectX.
Sound Problematical - must use WINE override for Character voice and music. See NOTE 1.
ENBoost Not yet tested
ENB Not yet tested
ReShade Not yet tested

Skyrim SE/Aniversary
MO2 Launches Yes
MO2 Loads .dlls Yes - Since installing Python in the Bottle, no .dll fails at MO2 startup.
MO2 Functions Yes
MO2 NXM Linker No - I have yet to implement a fix for the Nexus download function
MO2 VFS Yes
Script Extender Yes (use Anniversary edition of SKSE64, regular version outdated)
LOOT via MO2 Yes
SSEEdit Yes (v4.0.4+)
zEdit No - Fails to load specific .dll. This is a zEdit dev problem.
WryeBash Yes (v309.1+)
Java 8 Yes - patchers and other Java-based tools work.
Python 10 Yes - Critical to MO2 functions and stability.
DXVK Yes - Can use in place of DirectX
Sound Yes - must use WINE override for Character voice and music
ENBoost Not yet tested
ENB Not yet tested
ReShade Not yet tested

Fallout 3
MO2 Launches Yes
MO2 Loads .dlls Yes
MO2 Functions Yes
MO2 NXM Linker No - I have yet to implement a fix for the Nexus download function
MO2 VFS Yes
Script Extender Yes, but! See NOTE 2.
LOOT via MO2 Not tested - See NOTE 2.
XEdit Not tested - See NOTE 2.
zEdit No - Fails to load a specific .dll. This is a zEdit dev problem.
WryeBash Not tested - See NOTE 2.
Java 8 Not tested - See NOTE 2.
Python 10 Not tested - See NOTE 2.
Sound Problematical - must use WINE override for Character voice and music. See NOTE 1.
ENBoost Not yet tested - See NOTE 2.
ENB Not yet tested - See NOTE 2.
ReShade Not yet tested - See NOTE 2.

Fallout 4
MO2 Launches Yes
MO2 Loads .dlls Yes
MO2 Functions Yes (See screengrabs at ImageBox)
MO2 NXM Linker No - I have yet to implement a fix for the Nexus download function.
MO2 VFS Yes
Script Extender Yes
LOOT via MO2 Yes (See screengrabs at ImageBox)
FO4Edit Yes (See screengrabs at ImageBox)
zEdit No - Fails to load specific .dll. This is a zEdit dev problem.
WryeBash Yes
Java 8 Yes - patchers and other Java-based tools work.
Python 10 Yes - Critical to MO2 functions and stability.
ENBoost Not yet tested
ENB Does not work. See NOTE 3.
ReShade Yes

NOTE 1: With the correct .dll override, Character voice and music works as it should in Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE/AE. The difference between Fallout 4 and Fallout 3 is, the former is a 64-bit game, and the latter is 32-bit game. The same is true for Skyrim SE/AE and Skyrim LE, respectively. MO2 is generally set up in a 64-bit prefix, so the WINE .dll override is correctly implemented. Conversely, WINE does not yet fully support WMA, and I think this is a contributing factor to Character voice and music not working in 32-bit games. Perhaps an older, 32-bit version of MO2 is key in solving this issue - it is probably the reason why the Lutris installer for MO2 (last I checked) uses an older (and outdated) 32-bit version of MO2 for its install - as do most tutorials and installation scripts found here and there on the Web. Regardless, the WINE devs are working on this issue, so it should not be long before WMA support is fully integrated, and the problematic sound fix goes away.

NOTE2: Since the GFW update, FOSE can not be used because the game launcher version has changed. Also, regardless of the operating system being Windows or Linux using WINE, some DLCs will not load. For example, Anchorage DLC doesn't load on my Steam edition of Fallout 3 GOTY at all, and The Pitt DLC may or may not load depending on which phase the Moon is in at the moment. These issues need to be resolved by Bethesda and the Silverlock team, and the Silverlock team can't do anything until Bethesda fixes Fallout 3.

NOTE 3: ENB does not work in some games, such as Fallout 4, and I suspect this is so because it requires an older binary version that just isn't available for download anymore. Perhaps if Boris reads this he'll make a small repo for downloading older versions of ENB. I'll reach out to Boris and update this section when I get a response.

Edited by Vondriago

• 1 month later...

Were you actually going to post a tutorial or just share that it worked for you?

Not sure about the OP, but it seems to be pretty straightforward to get it installed. I've managed to get MO2 working with mods on FO4 on Ubuntu 20.04, although I'm still sorting out how to run F4SE.

I used this to install MO2: https://github.com/rockerbacon/modorganizer2-linux-installer

If the link doesn't work, it's a github repo by rockerbacon called modorganizer2-linux-installer. You'll need to install winetricks and protontricks as well, but everything's covered in the github README. The nice thing is that it'll set up MO2 to run directly off of the Steam launcher, so if you run the Steam launcher for FO4 it'll load up MO2 first, and then you can launch FO4 from within MO2.

Only thing I found is that you need a fallout4custom.ini file, which will be located in the profiles folder of your Mod Organizer 2 installation; easiest way to find it should be to simply run the game through MO2 and then search for "fallout4custom.ini". As usual, you'll have to include the following:

[Launcher]

bEnableFileSelection=1

[Archive]

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

sResourceDataDirsFinal=

As soon as I included those lines my mods started working, although it took me a while to figure out where it needed to be (for some reason one magically appeared at one point).

F4SE also seems to work perfectly, although it can't really be installed through MO2; you'll have to install it manually by unpacking the archive and merging it with the main Fallout 4 installation files. Once that's done, you should be able to run F4SE directly from the MO2 launcher (you'll have to select it in the drop-down menu), but I found it even worked with scripts loaded through MO2.

Edited by popeface

• 1 year later...

Below is a snippet from a tutorial I have been working on. I may have to take a break for several days because of RL issues - we all have 'em and love 'em. But the tutorial is nearly complete.

Still dealing with the RL probs? Looking forward to seeing something to use - maybe bottles will help?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 4/1/2022 at 4:13 PM, popeface said:

Not sure about the OP, but it seems to be pretty straightforward to get it installed. I've managed to get MO2 working with mods on FO4 on Ubuntu 20.04, although I'm still sorting out how to run F4SE.

I used this to install MO2: https://github.com/rockerbacon/modorganizer2-linux-installer

If the link doesn't work, it's a github repo by rockerbacon called modorganizer2-linux-installer. You'll need to install winetricks and protontricks as well, but everything's covered in the github README. The nice thing is that it'll set up MO2 to run directly off of the Steam launcher, so if you run the Steam launcher for FO4 it'll load up MO2 first, and then you can launch FO4 from within MO2.

Only thing I found is that you need a fallout4custom.ini file, which will be located in the profiles folder of your Mod Organizer 2 installation; easiest way to find it should be to simply run the game through MO2 and then search for "fallout4custom.ini". As usual, you'll have to include the following:

[Launcher]

bEnableFileSelection=1

[Archive]

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

sResourceDataDirsFinal=

As soon as I included those lines my mods started working, although it took me a while to figure out where it needed to be (for some reason one magically appeared at one point).

F4SE also seems to work perfectly, although it can't really be installed through MO2; you'll have to install it manually by unpacking the archive and merging it with the main Fallout 4 installation files. Once that's done, you should be able to run F4SE directly from the MO2 launcher (you'll have to select it in the drop-down menu), but I found it even worked with scripts loaded through MO2.

How. I tried it more than 10 times but stuck in the choosing instance page and never pass to the drop-down menu. help please.

On 4/1/2022 at 3:13 PM, popeface said:

That's what I used (on Manjaro Linux, XFCE edition).  Past attempts had failed before.  But since sometime in January 2024, it's just plain worked for me.  I've posted more details in both the Nexus Skyrim SE and Skyrim LE forums.

16 minutes ago, AaronOfMpls said:

That's what I used (on Manjaro Linux, XFCE edition).  Past attempts had failed before.  But since sometime in January 2024, it's just plain worked for me.  I've posted more details in both the Nexus Skyrim SE and Skyrim LE forums.

TY brother. Will try again. love full mods F4 in SD too for sure. lol. oh greed. lol