Skyrim LE, in Mod Organizer 2, on Linux -- working well for a month now!

AaronOfMpls

No issue here -- just posting my own experience in case others are curious.  (EDIT: I also posted this in the Skyrim SE forum.)

In early 2020,  I built a new desktop PC, and made the leap from Windows 7 to Manjaro Linux.  But while I was able to get most of my Windows games running fine in Steam Proton or Wine, I had one big stumbling block: Skyrim and my 230+ mods in Mod Organizer.  Skyrim itself would run just fine in Steam Proton.  But try as I might, I could not get Mod Organizer 2 to install.  I'd tried Lutris and an installer script that claimed to do the job, but it kept failing, and I didn't know my tools well enough to understand why.

But in Jan 2024, I finally got an MO2 install script to work!  Rockerbacon's Mod Organizer 2 Installer script had abandoned Lutris, in favor of setting things up itself.  And I'd belatedly updated some Linux programs, including one oddball in my setup that took an hours-long compile.  (Practically everything else in my Linux install updates much quicker than that!)

I followed the installer script's instructions.  And once MO2 was working and loading my game properly, I copied my old MO profiles and mod folders into MO2. 

So now, since last month, I have Skyrim LE running again, in a Mod Organizer 2 install with my old mod setups, on Linux -- with seemingly no more issues than it had in MO1 on my old Windows 7 PC! 😀  I also have Skyrim SE set up much the same in another MO2 install, and have been building a mod setup for it too.  Oblivion is ready to go too in another, with only a few mods, once I get around to playing it.  And I might set up Fallout 3 and New Vegas in their own MO2 installs later, if I get the urge to play either again.

Oh, and as of Feb 2024, MO 2.4.4 will show an update to MO 2.5 available.  Don't take it if you installed via this route -- at least not from within MO itself!  When I tried, the update screwed something up (likely from running in Steam Proton on Linux, while Steam thinks Skyrim is running), and I had to run Rockerbacon's installer script again to roll it back.  I probably won't update until the installer script itself starts using MO 2.5 in a new version.

Edited by AaronOfMpls