Translation

AntonFire

Today I started trying to translate Oblivion into my language and ran into some problems. Does anyone know how to add a new font (the default font I use does not have all the characters I need)? Does anyone have any advice on how to generally do the translation correctly, because I'm just replacing text in tes4edit for now (and still haven't figured out how to export textures using CS)?

Vanilla Oblivion has [Fonts] part in its Oblivion.ini file so replace the paths with your names and it should work. If you choose to add new font completely, you must also check and edit all xml files in Data/Menus/ dir. By default they are compressed in "Oblivion - Misc.bsa", so you also need some tool to unpack it. But the hard part is font itself - fonts are in its own non-standard format, using .fnt and .tex files, so you need another program. You can try Oblivion Font Editor (it's here on Nexus) as the newest one, but I never used it myself. It's browser based. Another one is Oblivion Font Generator, much older.

To my knowledge CS can't export textures. You must manually unpack "Oblivion - Textures.bsa" itself, find the right ones and edit them. You can use Paint.Net for example.

I'm using BsaCommander for unpacking.

Regarding translation advices, I can't help you further, because I never worked on such project.

Edited by RomanR

O Heavenly Lords, thank you very much, noble man! You have no idea how much you helped me! And don’t worry about the translation, there is a person next to me who, in which case, can edit the textures of signs, and as a basis I take the Russian translation, which I know only a little worse than my own language (+ I double-check from English, the official translation has surprisingly many strange moments). Thank you again :)