Unable to get UnequipItem to be silent

gustonuevo

Hope someone who knows scripting sees this. I cannot get a call to UnequipItem to happen silently. I have tried:

PlayerRef.UnequipItem(IronDagger, abSilent = true)

and

PlayerRef.UnequipItem(IronDagger, false, true)

My PlayerRef and IronDagger properties are set correctly because the dagger does unequip. It just makes a noise no matter what I do.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm no expert on the Creation kit, so my advice would be to replace the sound file itself. I don't know the name of that exact file, but if you get some sort of .BSA opener and open "Sounds - Sounds.bsa," you should be able to extract the .mp3 file and replace it with a blank mp3, so that you don't hear anything.

If you can find that file containing the sound, all you have to do is extract it and put it in the right file path (Data/sound/etc/etc/etc.) If you can find the path to the file, you can make a duplicate of that file path in your data folder and replace the sound, removing it entirely.

I'm no expert on the Creation kit, so my advice would be to replace the sound file itself. I don't know the name of that exact file, but if you get some sort of .BSA opener and open "Sounds - Sounds.bsa," you should be able to extract the .mp3 file and replace it with a blank mp3, so that you don't hear anything.

If you can find that file containing the sound, all you have to do is extract it and put it in the right file path (Data/sound/etc/etc/etc.) If you can find the path to the file, you can make a duplicate of that file path in your data folder and replace the sound, removing it entirely.

This is not something you will likely want to do if this is a mod that will be offered to the public.

This is not something you will likely want to do if this is a mod that will be offered to the public.

Yes... it kinda is. The reason being:

To uninstall the mod, all you would have to do is delete the modded sound file. Once the new (modded) sound file is deleted, Skyrim will look into the "Skyrim - Sounds.bsa" for the file, returning to the original audio. That's just my experience with such edits, however. If you have a piece of information I'm missing, feel free to make me aware of it. Because otherwise, I see no potential problem; could be wrong, though.

But, another way to do it, is to find the edit in the Creation Kit, and change the sound path to a blank mp3/wav file. That might do the trick also.

The silent option just means you will not get the notification in the top left corner of the screen. It will still make the default sound.

Oh really? Ok. Thanks for the reply. Well here is another question then. In the Vanilla main quest script, a RemoveAllItems(), or whatever it is, is done before the opening titles and it makes no sound. But when I do it, it makes a really loud mess of a sound which is all items being unequipped at once from the player. Why does the one they do in vanilla not make any noise? Anyone know if there is a way to shut off sound effects temporarily in script?

replace the sound file itself

Thank you very much for the suggestion, but I don't want to get rid of it permanently. I just want to have it be silent at a specific time (imagine someone pickpocketing a weapon off the player!).

Edited by gustonuevo