ENB CTD Fix!

Twitche21

So I was having frequent CTD's and freezing, and I finally found the main culprit yesterday. I couldn't find any threads or posts suggesting this fix, so here ya go.

Open up enblocal.ini in your main Skyrim directory and find "VideoMemorySizeMb="
Change the value using this formula: VRam + SystemRam - 2048 = (the max is 10240)
Since my main video card has 2GB VRam, and I have 8GB system ram my I changed VideoMemorySizeMb=8192
Also you might want to change ReservedMemorySizeMb=512 assuming you have over 1GB VRam, If not put it at 256.
With cards with 3GB or 4GB VRam, you can raise this to 1024 to 2048, I haven't done much research on the matter.

That's it!
So far I've only had one freeze while casting a fire spell, and that was yesterday. If it happens again, I'll look for a fix for that, too.
But so far today, ZERO crashes and CTD's.

I still get some frame stutters when turning in dense areas, so I'm still looking to perfect my game.
But this is the most stable I've been able to get it after HOURS of tweaking and researching.
If anyone has any suggestions or wants some advice for Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini tweaking let me know! :smile:

Here are my values for enblocal.ini if anyone is interested.
I'm using FPS Limiter (huge help) which is why the ProxyLibrary=d3d9fl.dll and EnableProxyLibrary=True (I changed the name of the DLL so I could use it with the ENB Wrapper DLL)
If you use FPS Limiter, my antilag.cfg settings are, RenderAheadLimit=1 and FPSLimit=35. This smoothed out my game quite a bit. Set RenderAheadLimit=0 if you get CTD's.

[ PROXY]
EnableProxyLibrary=true
InitProxyFunctions=true
ProxyLibrary=d3d9fl.dll
[GLOBAL]
UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=false
UseDefferedRendering=true
ForceFakeVideocard=false
[PERFORMANCE]
SpeedHack=true
[MULTIHEAD]
ForceVideoAdapterIndex=false
VideoAdapterIndex=0
[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=true
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=512
VideoMemorySizeMb=8192
EnableCompression=false
[WINDOW]
ForceBorderless=false
ForceBorderlessFullscreen=false
[ENGINE]
ForceAnisotropicFiltering=true
MaxAnisotropy=16
EnableVSync=true
AddDisplaySuperSamplingResolutions=false
[LIMITER]
WaitBusyRenderer=false
EnableFPSLimit=false
FPSLimit=60.0
[iNPUT]
//shift
KeyCombination=16
//f12
KeyUseEffect=123
//home
KeyFPSLimit=36
//num / 106
KeyShowFPS=106
//print screen
KeyScreenshot=44
//enter
KeyEditor=13
//f4
KeyFreeVRAM=115
[ADAPTIVEQUALITY]
Enable=true
Quality=1
DesiredFPS=20.0
[ANTIALIASING]
EnableEdgeAA=true
EnableTemporalAA=false
EnableSubPixelAA=true
EnableTransparencyAA=false
[FIX]
FixGameBugs=true
FixParallaxBugs=true
FixAliasedTextures=true
IgnoreLoadingScreen=false
IgnoreInventory=true
FixSsaoWaterTransparency=true
FixSsaoHairTransparency=true
FixTintGamma=false
RemoveBlur=false
FixSubSurfaceScattering=true
FixSkyReflection=true
FixCursorVisibility=true
Edited by Twitche21

Cannot thank you enough mate. I was starting to crash pretty much every 15 mins, now I can play for hours on end again :smile:

Thank you.

No problem man! I'm really glad this helped you out. :)

Also I forgot to mention in my original post the max ReservedMemorySizeMb is 10240.

This is mentioned as something you should do by pretty much every single ENB setup out there.

It's something that's easily looked over. They also don't mention this could be the cause of CTD's.

Literally no one suggests this fix in all the forums I've scavenged. I wasted a lot of time not knowing this was the problem.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My friend thank you for this, it has helped my game out immensely. I have a severely modded-out game with a rampant killer ctd, and this has all but stomped it out. Crashed once after about 4 hours last night, where before I couldn't go 15 minutes.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...