Windows "Busy Wheel" Appearing in Game? Windows Chime Sounding in Game?

Gorgopis

Maybe somebody has seen this?

We were testing our custom mod.

While in game, with the game running, the Windows chime sounded, and the spinning Windows-is-Busy Wheel appeared in-game.

We were still able to fire weapons and navigate, but the wheel followed our cross-hair movements. What might have caused this?

We experienced it twice, once in test mode, using console coc to enter our cell and test our mod, without loading any game.

Then we experienced it after loading a saved-game and testing our mod. Maybe this is a Creation Kit question?

Alarming!

From my experience the chime usually happens when Windows is downloading an update. However it always crashes my game, sometimes it will crash my game without any chime. When this happens I run Windows Update and almost invariably there is an update waiting to be either downloaded and installed or just installed.

Windows 10 is notorious for forcing updates whether you want them or not, I doubt Windows 11 is any better.

Might not be what your problem is but I would run Windows Update just to be sure.

More info:

We investigated PC fixes for this issue, and there are some good ones out there, but we haven't tried anything yet, BECAUSE:

This chime and and spinning wheel ONLY sound out and appear IN-GAME! These are not occurring anywhere except playing Skyrim SE. We have not tried playing Oldrim, yet, to see if it's there, which would suggest a STEAM update issue or corruption?

And this all only started after we built some exploding arrows with the Creation Kit and started testing them. Some of our settings may be "graphics-heavy" so maybe our NVIDIA card and settings are involved?

We were guessing maybe our mod accidentally touches the mouse, or keyboard controls, because this seems to be linked to noticeable mouse-lag, but only in-game. We tried resetting our preferred keyboard mapping, but that did not stop the issue.

In the meantime, we are going to try disabling our mod, and seeing if the behaviors return to "normal." We ran the processor from the bios to see if we could spot any anomalies, and everything checked normal to our benchmarks.

Help and advice still appreciated. We are nervous about publishing our mod, because we do not want to transfer this to anyone's PC.

Follow-up.

This only happens in the Creation Kit and in Skyrim LE and Skyrim SE. It's not happening in any other PC activity.

We DID fix it, but we don't understand: we re-positioned the USB gaming-mouse cable in its port and ran the cable UNDER the desk. So the issue is gone so far.

We are thinking there might be a STEAM update issue, too, since the issue disappeared after we logged online, though we did not allow STEAM to update or do anything.

Don't you have to be online to effectively use CK? As I recall, when I had a brief spurt of interest in working with the creation kit, I discovered it wouldn't work correctly (for me) while I was offline. That might possibly be the problem for you. (it's one of the reasons I haven't even tried fiddling with the kit. I don't feel comfortable being tethered to the net for anything but forums and news site). On the other hand I could be talking out my.... I could be mistaken.

I used to have chiming when playing games. A cheap USB extension cable was causing the mouse to disconnect for microseconds. Just long enough for Windows to chime to tell me it had faulted. Usually didn't even notice the difference in the gameplay. Better cable and a powered hub fixed it.

Ah yes, I hadn't thought about that, but yes, a mouse with an "iffy" cable can cause the connect/disconnect sound. I'm using a wireless right now, but I've gone through at least a dozen inexpensive wired Logitech mice over the past several years, and the cables have a tendency to fray (internal to the cable) at the exit from the mouse, eventually rendering them useless. I had some fantasy about fixing them so I have a box full of probably good mice with definitely bad cables.