Skyrim - Need help setting up CBBE and CBBE Vanilla armor mods

Leathlobhair

Hello,

I'm new here. New to modding in general, actually. That's part of my predicament. Just know that moving forward. :)

Spent almost six hours trying to figure out why my Skyrim game's vanilla armor sets don't respond to changes I make from CBBE. My Steam install directory is on a separate drive from my operating system, but the whole directory is still mostly the same except for the drive letter - It's D: drive instead of C: drive. I know that all of the CBBE mod config files need to be changed so that they read like this...

<GameDataPath>D:\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\</GameDataPath>

<MeshOutputPath>D:\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\</MeshOutputPath>

...But those strings look incomplete to me. Isn't it supposed to directly update the game's mesh files? If so, where are they and why don't the install instructions talk about this very important detail?

Like I said, I edited all the config files to the best of my knowledge, but the mods are not working correctly. I like the added feature of being able to do edits to multiple files at once, but I'm only able to affect the naked character model and not the armor. The vanilla game has all of its DLCs and the HD graphics update.

Here's what happens...

I take the armor off, CBBE shapes are visible. Put the armor on, vanilla shape is back in effect.

I'll admit, modding is unknown territory to me. I'm stumbling around in the dark here. For instance, I know I have to install the armor mod first, and then put the CBBE version in after it so that some files will be up-to-date, but I can't do that because the two mods each have a folder named "meshes" that the game references for its character models, and the armor mesh folder will get overwritten. I tried following some of the other instructions and manually extracted all the files where they needed to go, but it still won't work. I tried running it as Administrator, but that doesn't work either. I'm missing a crucial detail. I don't mean to nitpick at Caliente, since this mod is one of the better ones out there, but those instructions are not clear or concise enough for a modding newbie to enjoy the fruits of your labor. I'm a visual learner... I need to see what the installation actually looks like in a working configuration before I can understand what to do. Maybe make a youtube instruction video?

Anyway, I'm stuck and frustrated. Could someone give me a hand with this? Thanks :D

Primary Drive: OCZ Vertex-3 SSD (OS installed on it)

Secondary Drive: Toshiba 2 GB 7200 RPM (Games installed on it)

Steam install directory: D:\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\

Video Card: GeForce GTX 550 ti (2GB)

Processor: AMD FX-8150

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB

...I originally posted this in the general discussion thread, but realized it needs to go here. I'm new, my bad.

Edited by Leathlobhair

You could have also posted it in the comment thread of either mod. I check both several times a day.

The /Data folder being at the end of the data paths is correct, and it's not incomplete. BodySlide installs the meshes into /meshes/actors/character/character assets/, which is why it needs to be directed to the /data folder. Although...if you've run Skyrim at least once from the original launcher (not SKSE), BodySlide should be using your registry to find the correct folder.

When you merge the meshes folders, the armour meshes don't get overwritten. The only folder the two mods have in common is the /meshes folder, and nothing more, bar the BodySlide stuff.

1. Install the armour mod.

-- Download the Combined pack. Open it with 7zip. Hold CTRL and click on the Meshes and CalienteTools folders to select them. Then let go of CTRL and click on the Extract button (it's right above the files and has a blue '-'). Enter or locate your Skyrim/Data folder. Click OK.

-- Download the Soldier pack. Install it the same way as the Combined pack. Allow overwrites.

2. Install CBBE.

-- Download CBBE. Follow the visual guide relevant to the body you want installed. Allow overwrites.

3. Use BodySlide.

-- Edit config if necessary.

-- Go to Skyrim/Data/CalienteTools/BodySlide. Follow the visual guide to creating your preset. Create Bodies. Then pick one of the Soldier outfits in outfit/body (Imperial Light is the closest one), then select your preset in Preset, make any changes you want to the sliders, then click BatchBuild. Check the boxes for CalienteClothing, CalienteArmor and CalienteSoldier. Click OK and you're done.

Actually, after installing dozens of mods to spruce up the quality of the environment, I've discovered that some of the NPCs (most notably that one dude's sister at the beginning) have extremely dirty faces, and everybody except for old people have noticeable neck seams. Might create a new thread on this one - Will also start a new thread on it just in case. Please say you've got a solution to that one too...

Edited by Leathlobhair