Most irritating plothole in dawnguard?

shadowrulah

Appearance doesn't mean all that much in a world of Illusion magic, and Serana doesn't need inns or civilisation; she just needs to get back to Castle Volkihar. If she does so, then the Dawnguard knows nothing about her, her plans or Castle Volkihar. The Dawnguard at that point is Isran, Durak, Celann, Agmaer and you: assuming you're unwilling to murder Serana out of sheer force of racism (and if you're willing, refer to my "psychopathic murder of Delphine" argument) then that's three soldiers and a farmer vs. a Vampire Lord who's just trying to leave. One bat trasformation could get her out.

As for torture, if the Dawnguard and Dragonborn were willing (which I'm not sure I buy), and if Serana were incapable of escaping, then Serana could always just lie or claim ignorance. Torture is not actually all that useful for information extraction, especially in open-ended questions (it's more useful for obtaining confessions), so there's nothing to stop Serana from saying that she has no idea what Harkon might be planning, especially considering that she's been underground since before the Alessian Empire. If she needs time to make up a story, that looks exactly the same as if she just took time to break.

She could hypothetically escape, but at the absolute worst she's now in Castle Volkihar just like she would have been if you helped her. Your rationalizations aren't changing the fact that with the information you have there's no reason to help her and every reason to stop her.

When Serana shows up at fort Dawnguard she's standing in a torture chamber that's seen recent use. If you have any doubts about the purpose of that room look at the items called "Torture Tool" and "Torture Tools." Getting false information or no information is always a possibility but it doesn't change the fact it's better from a strategic standpoint than helping her achieve her goals.

What if she had walked into Volkihar Castle and fulfilled the prophecy right there. Sure you didn't know about the prophecy but you knew vampires were looking for her and that she wanted to be taken to vampires, that's reason enough to shut it down.

I am thinking looking at the replies the debate here really boils down to the point of those who like Serana and those who don't...People who like Serana finding reason to do her bidding, people who are not fans of her's finding reason not to do so...I see logic in most of the reasons bought forward on both sides of the fence, barring those that foresee what our Dovahkin's don't know, can't logic what our Dovahkin's don't know as yet.

I would have liked it if she MUST live for the purpose of Story Telling to have two real choices in how to deal with her...those who like to favor RP acceptance of Serana and her condition and do as the story stands...choose to trust her, choose to return her home, choose to befriend her, etc...The alternate narrative to be much less trusting of Serana, taking her back to Dawnguard as a prisoner and holding her under questioning, Isran finally deciding that your Dovahkin is to return her to her home...much more like a recon mission....Option for pure mission focus dialog, not just the many way's to buddy, buddy with her and an allowance to distrust. Same story, just one change at the start and an extra line of added dialog options...Oh, and remove her essential tag once Harkon is dead....Reason I suggest removal of the 'essential tag' if she chooses to remain a Vampire, why does your Vamp Hunter let her live? As in essence she remains a threat so long as her special 'Child of ColdHarbor' blood and Auriels Bow continue to exist.

I like Serana, she's knifty and what not but it doesn't change the fact that the only reason she wouldn't be captured or killed is because the dragonborn is lawful stupid.

I am thinking looking at the replies the debate here really boils down to the point of those who like Serana and those who don't...People who like Serana finding reason to do her bidding, people who are not fans of her's finding reason not to do so...I see logic in most of the reasons bought forward on both sides of the fence, barring those that foresee what our Dovahkin's don't know, can't logic what our Dovahkin's don't know as yet.

I would have liked it if she MUST live for the purpose of Story Telling to have two real choices in how to deal with her...those who like to favor RP acceptance of Serana and her condition and do as the story stands...choose to trust her, choose to return her home, choose to befriend her, etc...The alternate narrative to be much less trusting of Serana, taking her back to Dawnguard as a prisoner and holding her under questioning, Isran finally deciding that your Dovahkin is to return her to her home...much more like a recon mission....Option for pure mission focus dialog, not just the many way's to buddy, buddy with her and an allowance to distrust. Same story, just one change at the start and an extra line of added dialog options...Oh, and remove her essential tag once Harkon is dead....Reason I suggest removal of the 'essential tag' if she chooses to remain a Vampire, why does your Vamp Hunter let her live? As in essence she remains a threat so long as her special 'Child of ColdHarbor' blood and Auriels Bow continue to exist.

I like Serana, she's knifty and what not but it doesn't change the fact that the only reason she wouldn't be captured or killed is because the dragonborn is lawful stupid.

Ain't that the truth... :sad:

• 5 years later...

I can name a Dawnguard-related plot hole that's been bugging me for quite some time... Even though it's never mentioned, how in Oblivion does Valerica know the Dragonborn is a vampire hunter. She makes a huge issue out of it as a reason Serana shouldn't travel with you, but there's no way she could have known in the first place. She couldn't have any knowledge outside the Soul Cairn or she wouldn't have been surprised to see Serana there. She's been down there for centuries so it's also doubtful she would recognise Dawnguard armour, assuming you happen to be wearing it at the time (which I never do.) Makes no sense whatsoever.