Honest Criticisms and Feedback

Meoix

Hello everyone,

Before I start let me just state that I love this site. It's a great way to bring in brilliant minds in one spot to talk about and work on things we love. And the moderators and developers seem to work pretty hard based on Dark0nes posts.

Now then my main criticism in general with the Nexus, both site as a whole and mod manager is it seems like they're trying to tackle too many issues at once.
Example, recently Nexus allowed for just about all modable games to have a spot here on the site. A good move, however the servers are still struggling to keep up the load adding more complexity to the back-end will just slow things further. If the decision was made to bring more users and therefore more income via ads and usage, my thought is, wouldn't it be better to improve current areas of problems. This will encourage more users into becoming members, as personally giving money to a site that goes down almost daily is not overly appealing, respectfully.

The mod manager still crashes and recently starting giving me consistent blue screens when I decided to dust off oblivion and install a couple mods.

Its hard to get one site and one manager working for so many different things and handling countless users per second. But the phrase "Jack of all trades, master of none" comes to mind.

I serve as a consultant for a IT dept. at a hospital with several years experience at 3 different locations, as well as 4 years college in computer science, software development, I'd advise focusing on one problem at a time, build more trust with the users and in this you'll amass more members and in turn more funding to aid with the overwhelmed servers.

Thanks for the time and best of luck.

Indeed, I think something I covered in my last post was that by opening up the sites to more games we've actually made our lives a lot easier on the backend. It's now a lot simpler and easier for us to manage. So while the change to you might look like we're biting off more than we can chew, for us it was a great change that has managed to allow us to do exactly what you're talking about in this post: focusing on one thing. Originally we had to sit there and try and tweak 5 different dedicated servers across 10 different SSH terminals, now we just have to manage 2 different cluster setups from 2 different SSH terminals.

Opening up the sites to more games was simply a great side effect of this transition over to a centralised setup. I knew it wouldn't add too much additional load to the servers and it's not like the slightly increased traffic was going to be the straw that broke the camel's back because the camel's back was already broken, by Skyrim.

As I said, this new setup provides the best platform for us to move on from.