Help me: Merging/Combining parts of two different armors?

DerGrizzly95

Okay, that was very useful, thank you MBile!

I removed all the parts I believe were unnecessary and exported it as an .obj file.

When I try to import the file into Nifskope, I get this error:

Error: 183 invalid index(es) in block # 5 NiTriShapeData.Triangles

Error: 304 invalid index(es) in block # 10 NiTriShapeData.Triangles

Error: 408 invalid index(es) in block # 15 NiTriShapeData.Triangles

Error: 707 invalid index(es) in block # 20 NiTriShapeData.Triangles

Error: 3743 invalid index(es) in block # 25 NiTriShapeData.Triangles

Error: 264 invalid index(es) in block # 30 NiTriShapeData.Triangles

Error: 1478 invalid index(es) in block # 40 NiTriShapeData.Triangles

Error: 825 invalid index(es) in block # 45 NiTriShapeData.Triangles

Error: 183 invalid index(es) in block # 50 NiTriShapeData.Triangles

Error: 304 invalid index(es) in block # 55 NiTriShapeData.Triangles

Error: 408 invalid index(es) in block # 60 NiTriShapeData.Triangles

Error: 707 invalid index(es) in block # 65 NiTriShapeData.Triangles

Error: 3743 invalid index(es) in block # 70 NiTriShapeData.Triangles

Error: 264 invalid index(es) in block # 75 NiTriShapeData.Triangles

Error: 1478 invalid index(es) in block # 85 NiTriShapeData.Triangles

Error: 825 invalid index(es) in block # 90 NiTriShapeData.Triangles

What have I done wrong?

Edit: Okay, I forgot to select all, go back to object mode and then export. I'll try that now.

But: there is no option to export it as an gamebryo .nif file.

Edit2: Also, where is that shadowmap option?

Edited by DerGrizzly95

hmm sounds like you dont have the blender NIF plug-in.

you'll probably need it to work the way I do it.

http://niftools.sourceforge.net/wiki/Blender

there will be a python thingy to download and a script for blender itself if im not mistaken.

once you have it all, you should be able to import and export NIF files directly. when you export via blender youll see the options im talking about.

I already found out that the newest version of Blender does not support .nif files anymore. I'll download an older version (2.49b, I believe) tomorrow.

However, some people told me that I will still have problems combining the two armor parts when all the Blender work is done, because I would have to bind it to the skeleton or something like that.

I already found out that the newest version of Blender does not support .nif files anymore. I'll download an older version (2.49b, I believe) tomorrow.

However, some people told me that I will still have problems combining the two armor parts when all the Blender work is done, because I would have to bind it to the skeleton or something like that.

thats called rigging.

if the model already has the nodes on it, you shouldnt have to do that. I generally import the skeleton nodes by default into blender so it should be easy as that. I havent had any problems keeping those on meshes while importing and exporting.

when you do editing thats when things get complicated. you have to assign the mesh vertices to the skeleton and weight associated with it. I generally just do a Bone Weight Copy. You can check that yourself in Blender if its fubar or not by going into Pose Mode and moving around the Skeleton nodes around to see how the game will use the body parts.

By the way, is there anything that I should consider when deleting certain parts of meshes? I mean, I just need the top part of that armor, but does that mean that I can delete literally every block that belongs to the bottom part? Or do I have to keep some parts (i.e. parts of the body)

EDIT:

Alright, thanks to you guys, I've gotten some big steps further. Got Blender to work with .nif files now and was able to separate and delete the mesh parts I don't want. I merged both parts in nifskope and it looked really nice, but now there is still a problem: whenever I equip the armor, my game crashes. What could be the cause here?

EDIT2: I think I'm doing something wrong when putting the parts together in Nifskope. Could you give me detailed instructions on how to do that?

EDIT3: Alright, I don't know what it was or why, but I put the parts together in Nifskope the same way I did before and now I can equip the armor! The only problem is that the whole bottom part is invisible, but that's probably better than a game crash. Any suggestions?

Edited by DerGrizzly95

By the way, is there anything that I should consider when deleting certain parts of meshes? I mean, I just need the top part of that armor, but does that mean that I can delete literally every block that belongs to the bottom part? Or do I have to keep some parts (i.e. parts of the body)

EDIT:

Alright, thanks to you guys, I've gotten some big steps further. Got Blender to work with .nif files now and was able to separate and delete the mesh parts I don't want. I merged both parts in nifskope and it looked really nice, but now there is still a problem: whenever I equip the armor, my game crashes. What could be the cause here?

EDIT2: I think I'm doing something wrong when putting the parts together in Nifskope. Could you give me detailed instructions on how to do that?

EDIT3: Alright, I don't know what it was or why, but I put the parts together in Nifskope the same way I did before and now I can equip the armor! The only problem is that the whole bottom part is invisible, but that's probably better than a game crash. Any suggestions?

Yup. Ok when you paste nodes over in nifscope most of the time the new node doesnt have the proper name.

drop down the scene root... OR just click on the mesh itself and it will select the node in the node tree.

Now go down into the next window called Block Details. Look for the "Name______string_____txt ??????" line.

click the "txt" part. make sure it isnt blank. if it has a # it has a strange animation node onto it. rename it to whatever.

But keep in mind if you rename it to "Upperbody" it wont show up in first person mode. you can add in :0 or :1 or :2....etc if you need to, but should be unnessessary.

make sure all you new meshes have names.

if that doesnt fix it, open up the mesh node in the scene root again. look for the NiMaterialProperty line. click that paint pallet icon thingy. try deleting whats in there in that window for its name. This step is rarely needed though. the first one should solve it.

• 2 years later...

it's not complicated at all.

you need to download nifskope, use one of the existing armor. Say you use the top part of that armor. Remove the block (armor piece of the bottom part) and that copy the block (the bottom part of the armor) and paste it over ninode 0. Then make sure the texture path is correct and than it should be in game easily.

what is ninode 0?