Do you feel sorry for Harold?

TwoThirdsMajority

It's kind of a Science!y type of problem so, obviously Science! would come to Harold's rescue. A lot of things about the Fallout 3 world make no sense (like why ghouls and radscorpions exist), so this kind of pseudo-realistic rationalization doesn't really fit either.

I did as the original poster did and accelerated his tree growth. He can't really be healed by medicine or science at this point, Bob's organs have increased in size and been far displaced from his "body". You'd have to put him back together and figure some way of making a suit for him to live in; he'd never be human again (you'd wind up with something more like a cyborg gargantuan with a tiny head and one eye). IIRC, the fallout lore states that he was once leader of a trade group known as the hub, and was scavenging through the Mariposa military base when he came into direct contact with Forced Evolution Virus. Some vegetation or seeds must have been in his hair, which then were also affected by the FEV, which allowed Harold to live throughout the process of being consumed by the super-mutant equivalent of a tree. I didn't kill him for a few reasons: one, the wasteland needs trees and other plants to restart the eco-systems/ two, he gave the cultists hope and was a semi-surrogate father to Ewe, who was his friend and the only person that would listen to what he actually said. I really wanted some kind of option to try and further pursue getting the treeminders to realize what Harold was saying, for what it was, not what they wanted it to be, but that conversation path cuts off after a single question, so frak it.

The first time I went there I decided to accelerate his growth because I found the rewards more... rewarding.

After that I never went to Oasis again because I find it plain ridiculous how the Capital Wasteland receives a curious influx of Core region immigrants and influence* all at about the same time, but remains otherwise a destitute *piehole*.

Also what turned me off was me wondering how is it the mirelurks just stay in that bleeding cave and never come out and get in a fight with the Tree nutjobs.

Whole thing seemed like a lame attempt to bring back a classic Fallout character.

*Really, how is it that 30 years after Fallout 2, somehow the Enclave, the Brotherhood of Steel, Harold, Jet, Deathclaws, and maybe-some-stuff-I-left-out all curiously end up in the Capital Wasteland, while nothing else really did, like the prosperity of the Core Region, for example.

Well, if prosperity spread, we couldn't have the traditional bleak wasteland-ish setting, now could we? Well yes, but it'd be harder to do, you'd have to balance things more, add more settlements, have more NPCs, hire more voice actors (Bethesda's worst nightmare), and come up with more interesting quests.

-The brotherhood of steel presence is to be expected, I mean, it is the capitol and there was bound to be a lot of tech buried under the irradiated ruins.

-Enclave... well, it's a previous enemy with advanced technology that can muster up toe-to-toe with a Brotherhood detachment. A bit of laziness on Bethesda's part, but not really that much of a problem.

-Jet is derived from Brahmin dung fumes; where there are Brahmin, there is jet, though nobody complains about the smell, oddly enough, you're inhaling concentrated fumes from Brahmin poo, jeez, that otta leave some kinda taste in your mouth.

-Deathclaws... well, they didn't want to use the much feared wannamingos, and they already exploited irradiated bears and bug life (mirelurks being derived from horeshoe crabs, arachnids) and beyond giant bugs, something out there has to hate you, and why not bring back an old favorite? (laziness, I know, I want wannamingos, and with all due respect, better animated and modeled ones than in MMM, which are fantastic, but lack proper... something)

-Harold, is in every Fallout game, each time appearing more and more woody, it's a natural progression to have him full on tree in this one, though how he got there could be better explained (barring his mutation derived dismemberment and giant heart) like that he was not the original, but a clone or something... but that would take more time.

-Supermutants; Bethesda likes making big, ugly, muscle endowed, creatures, like trolls, orks, and ogres, passing up the chance to do a variant that was green like the Hulk, not possible (though forgetting that they were capable of intelligence and even communities (with humans or with ghouls), that's definitely possible)

I wanted to save Harold from his pitiful existence in a tree. :(

I mean, I was a bit mean to him in the games. In Fallout 1, I barely paid attention to him, and in Fallout 2, I stole his assistant and screwed over his town of ghouls. So in Fallout 3, I put him out of his misery by destroying his heart. I hope Lenny is still out there, somewhere, though. Lenny was even better than Harold. Put him in Power Armor and give him a Gauss Pistol. He will never die. In fact, in none of my runs through Fallout 2 did Lenny ever die. He's some sort of godly ghoul. The only problem is that he runs away from everything, which sucks. Lenny rules. Because no one can stop SUPER Lenny! :D

Jet was developed by Myron the wonder child in New Reno in order to give the Mordinos a tighter hold on the populace. How the heck did such a sizable quantity make it to the capital wasteland? Who's making this stuff?

I mean, psycho was a military combat enhancer, so there'd be some lying around prewar days. Mentats and buffout were commercial products so their prevalence is explained the same way as tricycles and shot glasses. But jet? Jet was developed just a little before FO2. It required a great deal of research and experimentation in order to produce. What in the capital wasteland is making all of this stuff? What in the capital wasteland even has the CAPABILITY to make this stuff? Dr. Li? Is Dr. Li the secret desseminator of jet? Does jet fund project purity (I have to admit, that thought would be AWESOME)?

maybe word spread and they made a kind of moonshine jet, or maybe someone fell in some Brahmin manor and went out and killed things and decided to stick it in old asthma inhalers, or maybe Bethesda just got lazy and stuck it there because they didn't have any better ideas