What Version? How to Update? How to backup with Steam?

Demhilord

I've been playing Skyrim since it was release and I've seemed to have missed a few things.

Where is the version listed?

What version should I be on?

How do I update/install any OFFICIAL Skyrim patches?

I see that Steam offers to let me back up my game(s). How does this work? I royally screwed up the install of steam and would like to re-install it. If I use it to back up skyrim does it just back up my Saves or the entire game? I'm trying to learn to love steam but still not yet a big fan. But I will give them accolades for giving away LFD2.

So I'd appreciate any info on this that you guys could share with me. Newby questions no doubt but I've just been doing my own thing playing Skyrim. So easy to get lost in the game for hours at a time and just wonder and wander and not follow a quest line. That is what I think makes the game so great.

This is a store bought version of Skyrim if it makes a difference.

Thanks

Edited by Demhilord

Steam will automatically update Skyrim fully, provided you have a legitimate copy and have not turned off automatic updates. Doesn't matter if you got it from Steam or a store, it's still a Steam game and Steam will assume direct control.

The version will be listed on the lower-left corner of the pause menu in Skyrim, if I remember correctly.

I'm not sure about Steam backups, I just copy a folder when I need to back something up.

The steam backup only backs up the base game data. It does not touch your saves. It may not even touch your mods. I do have a backup on an external drive that I haven't bothered to use in over a year. Steam's ability to verify the game cache is good enough if you have a decent internet connection.

The backup method uses a proprietary compression file type and is worthless without Steam to access it. You could probably be just fine creating a 7z archive of the game directory after setting it up but before applying mods.